Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
craggy_steve

Manx Profanity

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, immortalpuppet said:

Pretty sure there was a bizarre cus word/phrase in Manx, something like take a shit in my hat.

Dunno about in Manx but there's a Yiddish phrase though seldom heard in Schul - "Gay kaken ofn Hahn" (Sp?) Which translates to go shit in the sea.        

As for swearing in Manx,  when working on Wylfa many years past I do recall being told that there were no profanities in Welsh other than references to animals in some way otherwise the English language had to be plundered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall a Swedish person telling me that it was more or less impossible to translate any English profanity into Swedish. Can't recall why though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rog said:

Dunno about in Manx but there's a Yiddish phrase though seldom heard in Schul - "Gay kaken ofn Hahn" (Sp?) Which translates to go shit in the sea.        

As for swearing in Manx,  when working on Wylfa many years past I do recall being told that there were no profanities in Welsh other than references to animals in some way otherwise the English language had to be plundered.

I think this is borne out by broadcasters in the Welsh language. If they make an error, they immediately default to "Oh Shit." or "Oh fuck." Kind of renders the language redundant when you can't express your full range of emotions in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, woolley said:

I think this is borne out by broadcasters in the Welsh language. If they make an error, they immediately default to "Oh Shit." or "Oh fuck." Kind of renders the language redundant when you can't express your full range of emotions in it.

Funny thing about Welsh language.  How so many words from English have become integrated.  I noticed on Anglesey how amongst things like "sasneg  yn mynd adrevf" how often bed and breakfast" cropped up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rog said:

Dunno about in Manx but there's a Yiddish phrase though seldom heard in Schul - "Gay kaken ofn Hahn" (Sp?) Which translates to go shit in the sea.        

As for swearing in Manx,  when working on Wylfa many years past I do recall being told that there were no profanities in Welsh other than references to animals in some way otherwise the English language had to be plundered.

I was on top of Snaefell and saw this Manxie with a sheep under his arm. I said are you going to sheer that? But he said something like ...Go catch your own this one's mine!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I recall a Swedish person telling me that it was more or less impossible to translate any English profanity into Swedish. Can't recall why though!

maybe they were only pretending to be swedish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I was on top of Snaefell and saw this Manxie with a sheep under his arm. I said are you going to sheer that? But he said something like ...Go catch your own this one's mine!

Class

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

maybe they were only pretending to be swedish.

Yes,  possibly. I did think Ubutu N’Tanga Meteeta was an unusual name for a Swedish prince.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I was on top of Snaefell and saw this Manxie with a sheep under his arm. I said are you going to sheer that? But he said something like ...Go catch your own this one's mine!

No one spotted the deliberate spelling mistake....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...