Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Driving on the mountain in thick fog - when you are at the head of the line of traffic

(I mean right thick pea-souper stuff, with rain)

Are you holding everyone up or are you the pathfinder leader taking on the responsibility for others to follow?.

4 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Are you holding everyone up or are you the pathfinder leader taking on the responsibility for others to follow?.

You are indeed the leader, the rest are just sheep.

If I get in that situation, I try to find a place to pull over and pass the buck to someone else. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Depends how fast you’re going. 

As fast as I think I reasonably can. I was seeing at most one/two white lines in front of me. The radio is off, I can't even take my eyes off the road to look in the mirror. All I know is the car behind is close. They can't possibly want to overtake can they......

It's a situation I have found myself in a few times. And no matter how well think I know the road a corner looms up out of seemingly nowhere.

Cats' eyes would makes sense down the middle. Or better still the new led ones.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

Probably can't because of the sacred you know what.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pongo said:

Imagine what it was like before the eyes on the sides of the road!

• Like 1

It's surprising how many drivers don't seem to know what fog lights are for.  A lot of people driving in those conditions don't bother putting their fog lights on, with the result that you can hardly see them.  Alternatively, if I put mine on, it sometimes prompts irritated flashing from the driver behind, who is driving right up my a*se and is being dazzled by them.  The solution to that, dear reader, is to drop back and not drive so close.  

• Like 1

Not in thick dense fog obviously, but something else that boils my piss is cars that drive with just sidelights (rather than headlights)  in poor visibility. You actually see the car before the lights so they don't serve much purpose, other than the driver thinking they are doing the right thing and can be seen.  I remember @Derek Flint saying on t'radio that 'at least the driver is giving themselves a fighting chance' which is no excuse - should be headlights in poor visibility.

I knew someone who used to insist on using sidelights until they absolutely needed headlights so they could see the road. They reckoned it saved fuel (which strictly speaking it probably does but an infinitely small amount)

Edited by gettafa

One of the probs these days is automation. People leave the lights on auto and sometimes they won’t switch on in fog. 

As for fog lights. Only for use in seriously reduced visibility (less than 100m). If the person behind you gives you a flash, it’s usually to indicate ‘target acquired’ and a polite ask if you wouldn’t mind awfully knocking off the high intensity kit? The latter bit isn’t in the Highway Code but perfectly reasonable in terms of indicating “I am here”. 

Lots of folk switch them on in light mist. It’s totally unnecessary. As are front fog lights in most conditions - especially wet road surfaces, where they intensify in the reflection. 

• Thanks 1

I quite enjoy driving on the Mountain in the mist. One trick I learned when racing in the fog (it won't happen again) was to watch the centre white lines. On reasonably straight stretches the lines are long with big gaps between them. When a corner is coming up, they get shorter and closer together. You can then be ready for whatever direction you need to turn. The slight downside is that you gain confidence and increase your speed, tail lights and even rear fog lights don't give you much warning as you catch the next queue up in front! 

The mist also masks the engine noise of bikes, if you stand at the side of the road, bikes just appear with a fanfare of noise and disappear with no noise to indicate that they are still moving.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

As for fog lights. Only for use in seriously reduced visibility (less than 100m). If the person behind you gives you a flash, it’s usually to indicate ‘target acquired’ and a polite ask if you wouldn’t mind awfully knocking off the high intensity kit? The latter bit isn’t in the Highway Code but perfectly reasonable in terms of indicating “I am here”. 

Lots of folk switch them on in light mist. It’s totally unnecessary. As are front fog lights in most conditions - especially wet road surfaces, where they intensify in the reflection. 

As a general rule of thumb, I switch my fog lights on if the visibility is such that it would be helpful to me if the person in front switched theirs on too.  And I switch them off again when this no longer applies.  I find it particularly helpful if the two cars in front of me both switch their rear fog lights on, then I get an early warning of bends in the road. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gettafa said:

Not in thick dense fog obviously, but something else that boils my piss is cars that drive with just sidelights (rather than headlights)  in poor visibility. You actually see the car before the lights so they don't serve much purpose, other than the driver thinking they are doing the right thing and can be seen.  I remember @Derek Flint saying on t'radio that 'at least the driver is giving themselves a fighting chance' which is no excuse - should be headlights in poor visibility.

I knew someone who used to insist on using sidelights until they absolutely needed headlights so they could see the road. They reckoned it saved fuel (which strictly speaking it probably does but an infinitely small amount)

I thought it was now illegal to drive on so called side lights, now calling parking lamps.

I knew a taxi owner who would only ever use side lights in built up areas and on leaving would turn his dipped lights.

He did it to save money on bulbs

He would also get out and push his taxi up the rank as the front cars moved off, to save fuel and engine wear 

Edited by dilligaf
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, gettafa said:

You're the lead idiot. Only idiots go up there in a pea-souper.

Got it now?

• Like 1