Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Driving on the mountain in thick fog - when you are at the head of the line of traffic

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

I quite enjoy driving on the Mountain in the mist. One trick I learned when racing in the fog (it won't happen again) was to watch the centre white lines. On reasonably straight stretches the lines are long with big gaps between them. When a corner is coming up, they get shorter and closer together. You can then be ready for whatever direction you need to turn. The slight downside is that you gain confidence and increase your speed, tail lights and even rear fog lights don't give you much warning as you catch the next queue up in front! 

The mist also masks the engine noise of bikes, if you stand at the side of the road, bikes just appear with a fanfare of noise and disappear with no noise to indicate that they are still moving.

Is that still the case? I know Joey Dunlop used to say this, and in those days the fog and rain did not stop the races (in the same way that there was always a boat in the morning regardless of weather). In any case, you are still relying on a bloke who's main job is splashing paint on the road, it's not as if there was any science or survey behind it.

eg:

553477977____rabbitontroad.jpg.5e9dea061466034bea22e0aceb4ec614.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

You're the lead idiot. Only idiots go up there in a pea-souper.

Got it now?

I hold my hands up. Your right there Albert.

Never again, but it was a case of going past the point of no return. It looked like a bit of rain and light mist at Crag ny Baa and it just got heavier and heavier.

I had all fog lights on. I would have hoped the car behind would pull back a bit.it would seem sensible, although it was that think maybe the rear lights could only be seen a white line anyway. Fog headlights made little or no difference.

PS. I think I am going to go down the pub now and start a conversation/heated argument about who's driven a car in the thickest fog.

5 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Is that still the case? I know Joey Dunlop used to say this, and in those days the fog and rain did not stop the races (in the same way that there was always a boat in the morning regardless of weather). In any case, you are still relying on a bloke who's main job is splashing paint on the road, it's not as if there was any science or survey behind it.

eg:

553477977____rabbitontroad.jpg.5e9dea061466034bea22e0aceb4ec614.jpg

It's still the case, I'm sure it is by design and it works very well in keeping you out of trouble.

• Thanks 1

I've never noticed. Is this corners on the mountain? 

20 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Imagine what it was like before the eyes on the sides of the road!

I remember they used to have yellow paint up there, which reputedly was a home made recipe containing very small pieces of glass - it was a lot more reflective than the white, but I guess the white paint is much more reflective than it used to be.

The eyes on the side of the road are fairly recent, I remember them being fitted one autumn/ winter then the next spring the ones on the racing line being removed and the holes filled in. It's amazing how often a hundred plus year old annual event appears to come as a surprise to the Manx Government.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I've never noticed. Is this corners on the mountain? 

Yes, been like that as long as I can remember.

I've just done a quick trip over the mountain via Google Earth. There seems to be two main styles of centre line, but there isn't an overall consistency. As such, any benefit intended is reduced to worse than nothing.

48 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I hold my hands up. Your right there Albert.

Never again, but it was a case of going past the point of no return. It looked like a bit of rain and light mist at Crag ny Baa and it just got heavier and heavier.

I had all fog lights on. I would have hoped the car behind would pull back a bit.it would seem sensible, although it was that think maybe the rear lights could only be seen a white line anyway. Fog headlights made little or no difference.

PS. I think I am going to go down the pub now and start a conversation/heated argument about who's driven a car in the thickest fog.

Good for you...

0e98c1f07e061d9e9b5e4607a24e0291.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris C said:

The eyes on the side of the road are fairly recent, I remember them being fitted one autumn/ winter then the next spring the ones on the racing line being removed and the holes filled in. It's amazing how often a hundred plus year old annual event appears to come as a surprise to the Manx Government.

Yep, I remember that.  Maybe around 1999/2000?

54 minutes ago, finlo said:

Yes, been like that as long as I can remember.

image.png.fa1eec932f2e0322bcd9d3e5f4faa53d.png

The police say to leave your fog lights on in the fog, but the modus operandi is to switch them on until a car catches up behind you and then switch them off. Everyone’s happy then. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Yeah that would be about right. Do you remeber the yellow paint? It was a long time before that, perhaps mid 80's they stopped using it.

33 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

You would do...the dying breath of La C, Pierre C...and a couple of equally useless other characters you gave yourself away on. Enjoy your lost retirement. You achieved nothing....less than that even...Reflect on that! Some of us on here do.

eta...sad symbol that all you like. You're well sussed over 10 years.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

5 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

People driving with rear fog lights still on once a car is behind them are the biggest pain in the arse going.

Nope. If it's too bright you're too close.

Anyhow the most annoying thing is dazzling bright cold white led headlights.

And the second most annoying thing is men who overtake into the braking distance which responsible motorists keep between them and the car in front. As if they were trying to win a race.

The third most annoying thing is everyone who did, so called, "advanced motoring" and believes it makes them more advanced.

Over and out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Google earth tells differently. Take a trip along the mountain road with it.

No rhyme or reason to it. 

Edited by gettafa