Looking at upgrading sat nav, probably on phone for now.

Has anyone any experience of using what3words for entering destination.

Got frustrated last week on my trip around U.K. with the lack lustre performance of the recently replaced radio/entertainment/sat nav unit in my 2015 Discovery Sport. It failed and was replaced under warranty and was installed without the latest map update.

It didn’t know the Bay Gateway/Lancaster bypass existed, wasn’t picking up turns/exits on time, and the post code locator wasn’t brilliant. Plus fastest route is a pain to programme and it didn’t pick up roadworks.

I use abroad, Spain and Bulgaria, and countries en route, frequently, especially rural locations, where addresses are hit and miss, street names inconsistent, and post code areas can cover tens of thousands of properties and many square kilometres.

The thought of being able to pinpoint a 3m x 3m square seems attractive.

Yep, Google maps on my phone has worked pretty perfectly for me driving in multiple countries. 

Just download the offline map for the region you are travelling in before you go and then you don't pay any roaming charges. 

I've not used what3words to get drive anywhere, but have used it successfully mountain biking to meet up with people in the middle of plantations/moorland. 

I think Mongolia or somewhere is using it now instead of post codes.

22 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I have not used what3words but constantly run into similar problems with in-built sat nav systems.  

I now use google maps via Android Auto for better navigation.

I don’t use Sat Nav slavishly, and still carry a paper map. I’ve got various map apps.

But last Friday central Liverpool to central Norwich took 10 hours ( I had a two hour side trip to see a Manxie who has just taken over a renovated pub in a rural village outside Bolton). 

I’d checked the roadworks on the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge and decided not to go M62, M1(or A1), A14, A11 because of delays. 

I went M62, A1, A17 and around Spalding it took 2 hours to do 5 miles.

I know that’s not an end address issue, but there was no warning or diversion.

My bigger reason for wondering about what3words is especially for deliveries to my place in Spain. Couriers, IKEA, supermarket home delivery, can’t find us, even if I send a map and coordinates, and tell them the place is “cerca Junta de Compensacion de Mas Gassons” on Google maps. 

Last time IKEA tried it took 3 attempts.

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Use a proper map. After Brexit you'll have to as they won't let us use the GPS satellites.

You do realise that Brexit is not UK and USA don't you?

22 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

What's he going to do draw up a map with 'X marks the spot' and submit that alongside his IKEA order?

That’s what I do! They still try to deliver 20 miles away.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, John Wright said:

Looking at upgrading sat nav, probably on phone for now.

The thought of being able to pinpoint a 3m x 3m square seems attractive.

I used it for giving my location to the Control Centre/Police HQ here when I found an injured sheep (and needed to let the farmer know) and they very efficiently worked out where I was straight away.  I was impressed.