Penny for the Guy - a new record set

Rushen Spy

10 hours ago, Rog said:

Round here I've seen two Corbyn masks on stuffed shell suits and one Diane Abbott mask on an old set of overalls. Labour aren't exactly popular in this neck of the woods.

It’s just Catholics burning parliamentarians 414 years late.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

How many times do I need to point out that my location as "UK" is a joke based on a thread from a couple of weeks ago.......

As many times as you keep reacting. It’s up to you to answer your question not anyone else. It’s hard to hide your psyche and the hounds here know they’ve found your weak spot once more. You made a joke, they know its a joke but they also know that it’s exasperating you and so they will keep poking hopefully until you eventually have a meltdown. It’s very Lord of the Flies here. You should know that by now. 

11 hours ago, MrPB said:

Did Blue Peter show you how to make your own butt plugs out of a cork and some sticky backed plastic? 

Can that be done?  Over the years I've spent a bloody fortune on hamsters!

Edited by Rog
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I see that with school over on Friday for the half term the "kids" have already outside the co-op and shoprite with effigies of Guy Fawkes. Spotted as early as Saturday 26th October.

Surely it is taking the mick to be doing it when it's still October and hasn't even been Halloween yet?

It's bad enough that Christmas has been encroaching on July, August, September, October, and November, without Bonfire Night encroaching on October. There should be a law that says holidays need to be kept within their own months.

To get back to the main topic from the usual insult-go-round, as far back as I can remember people have been collecting 'penny for the guy' for about a fortnight before the date.  The idea was that the time was needed to collect enough money to buy fireworks for the night itself, when the guy would be burnt on top of the family or street bonfire.  So that 'early' date seems perfectly in line with that.

What has got earlier is Halloween or Hop tu Naa as we call it on the Isle of Man (I suppose someone living in the UK wouldn't know that).  Hop tu Naa usually didn't involve the sort of dressing up that is a recent import from the US[1].  Instead turnip lanterns would be made on the day (or just before) and kids would go round singing the Hop tu Naa song door to door, collecting money rather than sweets.  There would also be ducking for apples[2] and possibly various 'traditional' baked goods or toffee apples (this tended to vary from family to family), but everything would be homemade - that was part of the point of it - and the shops certainly wouldn't have been full of associated plastic tat for two months before.  So basically this complaint is the wrong way round.

[1]  Though it didn't originate there and seems to descend from the (mainly) Scottish practice of 'guising'.

[2]  "There, but for a typographical error", Dorothy Parker once sighed, “is the story of my life”.  Which suggests another tradition exported to the US.

2 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Maybe this so called traditional bit of scrounging would stop if we did indeed just gave the little blighters a PENNY.

it worked for me, they stop asking when I go into the shop now...:flowers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

To get back to the main topic from the usual insult-go-round, as far back as I can remember people have been collecting 'penny for the guy' for about a fortnight before the date.  The idea was that the time was needed to collect enough money to buy fireworks for the night itself, when the guy would be burnt on top of the family or street bonfire.  So that 'early' date seems perfectly in line with that.

What has got earlier is Halloween or Hop tu Naa as we call it on the Isle of Man (I suppose someone living in the UK wouldn't know that).  Hop tu Naa usually didn't involve the sort of dressing up that is a recent import from the US[1].  Instead turnip lanterns would be made on the day (or just before) and kids would go round singing the Hop tu Naa song door to door, collecting money rather than sweets.  There would also be ducking for apples[2] and possibly various 'traditional' baked goods or toffee apples (this tended to vary from family to family), but everything would be homemade - that was part of the point of it - and the shops certainly wouldn't have been full of associated plastic tat for two months before.  So basically this complaint is the wrong way round.

[1]  Though it didn't originate there and seems to descend from the (mainly) Scottish practice of 'guising'.

[2]  "There, but for a typographical error", Dorothy Parker once sighed, “is the story of my life”.  Which suggests another tradition exported to the US.

Carving a turnip took great skill - ask Frankie three fingers...

I do actually wonder if the kids who are begging realise that 'penny for the guy' is for Bonfire night and not Hop-tu-Naa? Actually it's probably more likely that they associate it with October half-term being open season for verbally abusing passers by that don't part with change.

One of them actually said to me last year "Don't worry, we take card." when I told them I don't carry cash. I wasn't absolutely certain whether he was joking or not.

Edited by mokebatcher
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mokebatcher said:

I do actually wonder if the kids who are begging realise that 'penny for the guy' is for Bonfire night and not Hop-tu-Naa? Actually it's probably more likely that they associate it with October half-term being open season for verbally abusing passers by that don't part with change.

One of them actually said to me last year "Don't worry, we take card." when I told them I don't carry cash. I wasn't absolutely certain whether he was joking or not.

When they said we take your card, they were probably planning on mugging you...

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

On your point about Halloween / Hop tu Naa, the disparity in the dates is due to it pre-dating the Gregorian calendar. The historical Samhain festival is aligned with the new moon, which differs year on year. I believe the new moon was 28th October this year. The whole period from the shortening of the days from the previous moon to this new moon was part of a broader festival in which people felt a "thinning of the veil" in which the living and the dead realm come closer together. I think that's great and that we should return to our ancient roots and fully embrace them.