Insurance claim - Must you accept cash settlement?

I have made a claim for water damage at my property (not flood related!), and the loss adjuster (who was a nice chap but appointed by and working for the insurance company) has been around and after an extensive investigation and meticulous cost analysis (or schedule as he called it...) on his tablet program, has made an estimate for repair which is far below local quotes i have obtained for the work to be completed. 

As i just want the work completed, am i entitled to ask the insurance company to arrange the repairs themselves?  If they believe fixing it will only cost £3000, and i can not have the work completed for anything near that, then i would rather they send the relevant tradesmen / materials over themselves.  They would need a plumber (or two) and a painter and decorator

I've no interest in simply trying to "make a few quid" here via a nice cash settlement, i just want the work completing and the house back to normal.  Any suggestions?

Insurance is with Tesco (Royal Sun Alliance, via Sedgwick formerly Cunningham Lindsey.)

thanks

Edited by somewhatdamaged
7 hours ago, somewhatdamaged said:

I have made a claim for water damage at my property (not flood related!), and the loss adjuster (who was a nice chap but appointed by and working for the insurance company) has been around and after an extensive investigation and meticulous cost analysis (or schedule as he called it...) on his tablet program, has made an estimate for repair which is far below local quotes i have obtained for the work to be completed. 

As i just want the work completed, am i entitled to ask the insurance company to arrange the repairs themselves?  If they believe fixing it will only cost £3000, and i can not have the work completed for anything near that, then i would rather they send the relevant tradesmen / materials over themselves.  They would need a plumber (or two) and a painter and decorator

I've no interest in simply trying to "make a few quid" here via a nice cash settlement, i just want the work completing and the house back to normal.  Any suggestions?

Insurance is with Tesco (Royal Sun Alliance, via Sedgwick formerly Cunningham Lindsey.)

thanks

Loss adjusters don't live in our world. I had the same problem with a garage roof a few years back. As to be expected, the loss adjuster (representing the insurers) tried to wriggle out of paying anything. I ended up going to the ombudsman with all my evidence and quotes. They made the insurers pay the correct amount. Challenge the loss adjuster and ask for a second opinion. You won't get one but they'll certainly re-sharpen their pencil

• Like 1

No, you aren’t entitled to ask insurers to get the work done themselves. Although for convenience, and economy ( and to stop rip off claims/inflated estimates), they do that with motor claims. Insurance is an indemnity against the value of your loss/liability.

If you aren’t satisfied with the adjuster you can employ an assessor who Will work for you and negotiate a better deal

As John said, insurance is an indemnity that covers you for the loss.  So, provided you have had a couple of quotes then there is no reason for the insurer to reduce your claim.  Unless, that is, included within the quotes is an element of maintenance rather than repair, in which case they will adjust the amount to reflect the repair only.