Montague House - Laxey Chemist - Masonic connection

John Wright

As I go around the Island I always try and observe, look up and around me. It’s interesting to see what is on buildings above street level.

Here’s a photo of Steve Rodan’s chemist shop in Laxey. Name of building, date of construction, and two symbols that look Masonic.

I’ve never noticed them before. 

I’m not a mason, I take the Groucho view of clubs and societies.

I’ve tried some online research. There’s no record or evidence of a Laxey Lodge or Temple/Hall. I spoke with the Provincial Grand Registrar for IoM. They have no records in their archives.

Anyone got any ideas?

CB6941E7-5395-4198-B134-3BDF6B7CC55B.png

The WJS most likely stands for William J Stevenson for whom it was built in 1868. A quick scan of worshipful brothers, on 'Manx Notebook,' doesn't reveal whether WJS was a knuckle-rubber or not but it's highly likely.

Has quite a history that building. 

Edited by quilp

JW, there's info on the building in Manx Notebook. I just googled 'masonic lodge in laxey' and there are a few links to peruse.

Interesting stuff re the Oddfellows, Rechabites and Temperance societies activities during the Island's Victorian era on that site.

(Teapots delight! ;)

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, quilp said:

JW, there's info on the building in Manx Notebook. I just googled 'masonic lodge in laxey' and there are a few links to peruse.

Interesting stuff re the Oddfellows, Rechabites and Temperance societies activities during the Island's Victorian era on that site.

(Teapots delight! ;)

Yes, I’d searched Frances’ disk and come across those links. 500 members, 10/- a week sick pay, plus widows and dependents benefits.

19 minutes ago, ian rush said:

Do the Buffs still meet in Laxey? Might now be in The Bridge rather than The New Inn.

They did move to The Bridge I believe from an old boy I knew down North who used to go there on a Wednesday evening. They were all getting a bit long in the tooth, though, and that was a couple of years ago. Not seen him for a while to ask. All of these things are dying nowadays.