Whatever floats your boat.

rodders

30 minutes ago, Rog said:

They should be sacked for gross misconduct. If nothing else it shows what contempt they have for fare paying passengers.

It looked like, but I can’t be certain, something between a permanent staff member and one of the agency summer crew, in English. One of them then disappeared into the staff/kitchen area a there was loud discussion with raised voices in a Slavic language for a few minutes.

11 hours ago, rodders said:

It's been on the web for a few hours... https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/steam-packet-accused-of-discrimination/

The govt mouthpiece on another loosely owned govt monopoly.

Could be damaging to the local image if the red-tops get hold of it before the whole story gets out, and experience of the media, tells me that there is more to this....

Suggests a new name for the new ferry. There really was a ship called "Lesbian" although it sounds like something from a "Carry on movie"..What is Manx for "Lesbian"? Please don't tell me that "The Ben" is a sort of love boat...Mind you I was a cleaner on "King Orry" and "The Ben" and could tell one or two tales of mass intimacy and personal relief which in those days did not draw down the ire of management..Is there perhaps some correlation between Lesbians in pockets and "Turns in the barrel"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Lesbian_(1923)

3 hours ago, MrPB said:

[...] there seems to be some sort of correlation to being employed by IOM Government and thinking you have a right to bully the people who report in to you. Makes you wonder if the culture at the SPC is changing already. 

You do wonder sometimes.  Woodward made a bit of an idiot of himself in that interview he gave about Birkenhead as well and the response here seems equally tactless, with its veiled threat to the RMT.  Maybe they've been infected by the culture of impunity that seems to exist among the higher reaches of the civil service.

Meanwhile the union isn't backing down according to Manx Radio:

RMT challenges correct procedures

The RMT union is to meet with Steam Packet officials later this month, in the row over the dismissal of two gay employees.

The Manx National ferry company has dismissed the allegations as "absurd nonsense".

But the Union is pressing ahead with its claims.

The RMT says correct procedures were not followed in the case of their Liverpool worker. They have produced a flyer, claiming the women were told "they were lesbians and lived in each others pockets".

The Steam Packet has rebutted the claims but, in a letter sent to members and seen by Manx Radio, they are due to meet RMT officials on November 14th.

Mick Cash, General secretary for the RMT states their Liverpool Branch says charges against their member have been trumped up and the company has not followed correct procedures in respect of the case.

The employee, says Mr Cash, has been employed for 6 years and never faced any previous disciplinary proceedings.

This sort of row has the potential to get in more than just the local media and won't do much for the Island's reputation - especially if it is realised that the SP is now government owned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Suggests a new name for the new ferry. There really was a ship called "Lesbian" although it sounds like something from a "Carry on movie"..What is Manx for "Lesbian"? Please don't tell me that "The Ben" is a sort of love boat...Mind you I was a cleaner on "King Orry" and "The Ben" and could tell one or two tales of mass intimacy and personal relief which in those days did not draw down the ire of management..Is there perhaps some correlation between Lesbians in pockets and "Turns in the barrel"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Lesbian_(1923)

Lady of Man?

3 minutes ago, Gizo said:

So you don’t know the ‘facts’ then? 
so your previous bile is a load of bollocks. 

Wrong sunshine, what's bollocks is you trying to instigate another of your arguments. Grow up.

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Lady of Womann?

Better yet and in line with the historic boat name  ---- Ben-My-Phitt 

(An affectionate term for a woman or girl, seen as having characteristics associated with cats such as sweetness)