Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
MrPB

When will the lies stop?

It's always been the same on the island for as long as I can remember.  No matter what scandals emerge and no matter who is to blame the approach by local and national government has been the same.  Just say nothing and do nothing and after a few days it will be forgotten and we can carry on regardless. There is never public accountability because the public feel powerless to demand it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Maybe it'll get leeked... 

Could be the carrot-and-stick approach...appropriate for a donkey...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Rog said:

It's always been the same on the island for as long as I can remember.  No matter what scandals emerge and no matter who is to blame the approach by local and national government has been the same.  Just say nothing and do nothing and after a few days it will be forgotten and we can carry on regardless. There is never public accountability because the public feel powerless to demand it.

Absolutely spot on, something has gone awry at Malew Commissioners and there have been a number of resignations, I have no idea what except to say that it is not sweetness and light and an end of tenure job ! The problem does from my understanding not seem to be those who have gone !

4 hours ago, asitis said:

Absolutely spot on, something has gone awry at Malew Commissioners and there have been a number of resignations, I have no idea what except to say that it is not sweetness and light and an end of tenure job ! The problem does from my understanding not seem to be those who have gone !

There was an interesting interview on the Manx Radio website with the new Chairman of the Commissioners a few days back.  It's all very guarded, but there's a few hints in that as to what needs investigating and that maybe stuff was being done behind the back of the old Board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There was an interesting interview on the Manx Radio website with the new Chairman of the Commissioners a few days back.  It's all very guarded, but there's a few hints in that as to what needs investigating and that maybe stuff was being done behind the back of the old Board.

As Mr Karran often said this Island is institutionally corrupt. 

• Like 7

On 11/9/2019 at 6:00 AM, asitis said:

This seemed appropriate to comment on here ... SECRECY 

I see the report into bullying by a minister, Cregeen is to be kept secret.

I can see the rationale for that as the embarrassment caused to the complainants by being bullied by a root vegetable must be huge !

(For those without a sense of humour I fully support anyone being bullied especially by this tool !)

I wonder how much different life would be fiscally if Government were proponents of letting the daylight shine in ... I refer to other reports Steam Packet, Manx Gas and I am sure others can add to the list of those things not designed to be seen and of which we should not speak !!

This should be an interesting week for the Minister of Education?
It is anti bullying week on the Isle of Man with his department taking the lead.

I wonder if he will be making a statement on this matter.

• Haha 1

Statement from Minister of Education re bullying in Schools ....

"This is a serious issue and will be tackled robustly, please desist from such behaviour .......  or I'll rip your face off !"

LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/6/2019 at 11:56 AM, woolley said:

Whatever else he may be responsible for you cannot lay the purchase of the cabbage at Longworth's door. His original proposal was to purchase a new loco. 

Sorry, I meant to pick up on this at the time, but (reminded by the latest details of the folly) as well as the main and obvious rejoinder that several made to your statement - ie that there was need to buy any diesel in the first place - there's other related points to be made.  It was Longworth who commissioned and specified the cabbage and all the subsequent repairs and modifications that it has needed.  So unless you are suggesting that he deliberately cocked things up to 'prove' his point, he clearly is responsible for it, even if it wasn't his first choice.

And that also suggests that even if he had got his way and was able to obtain a new machine, because he would have been the person specifying that (you can't wander in Halfords and pick one off the shelf) then that specification would have been done just as ineptly as obtaining and modifying the second-hand one.  The only difference would have been that the starting price was even higher.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Sorry, I meant to pick up on this at the time, but (reminded by the latest details of the folly) as well as the main and obvious rejoinder that several made to your statement - ie that there was need to buy any diesel in the first place - there's other related points to be made.  It was Longworth who commissioned and specified the cabbage and all the subsequent repairs and modifications that it has needed.  So unless you are suggesting that he deliberately cocked things up to 'prove' his point, he clearly is responsible for it, even if it wasn't his first choice.

And that also suggests that even if he had got his way and was able to obtain a new machine, because he would have been the person specifying that (you can't wander in Halfords and pick one off the shelf) then that specification would have been done just as ineptly as obtaining and modifying the second-hand one.  The only difference would have been that the starting price was even higher.

I was not defending his actions particularly. I was pointing to the justification he no doubt feels and would fall back on if necessary: "I didn't want to buy this loco. It was forced upon me."

Had it been for a new machine, I assume that being a bespoke build, the manufacturers would have been involved in the design, and on site at the railway, from an early stage.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

I was not defending his actions particularly. I was pointing to the justification he no doubt feels and would fall back on if necessary: "I didn't want to buy this loco. It was forced upon me."

Had it been for a new machine, I assume that being a bespoke build, the manufacturers would have been involved in the design, and on site at the railway, from an early stage.

You get what you pay for.....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

You get what you pay for.....

Long experience suggests otherwise for us taxpayers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just read an advert in an old magazine for Great Train journeys and it promises electric and steam railway and a trip on the horsetrams and the cost of this holiday is not cheap.  So no lies, just the media shit stirring.   This company is a very large one and it would have certainly not been happy if the conditions had not been met.   So much ado about nothing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Just read an advert in an old magazine for Great Train journeys and it promises electric and steam railway and a trip on the horsetrams and the cost of this holiday is not cheap.  So no lies, just the media shit stirring.   This company is a very large one and it would have certainly not been happy if the conditions had not been met.   So much ado about nothing.

So you think that every advert you read in a paper is actually legally binding?