Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
hissingsid

Change of name

I see Kate Beecroft is changing her name and has a notice in the Courier stating she will not be responsible for her husband's debts.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I see Kate Beecroft is changing her name and has a notice in the Courier stating she will not be responsible for her husband's debts.

That's sad.  Especially with Christmas now so near.

• Haha 2

Bit of a bitchy thing to do/ Does it have any legal effect?

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Yes. At least it does over here.

• Thanks 1

If you have a joint bank account, credit cards and mortgage, both would be liable until these are separated?

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Well you can say anything you like in an advertisement but legally if they’re still married ........... 

6 hours ago, hissingsid said:

So the house went about a year ago so that’s probably quite a lot of debts then? 

It means that Mrs B has some defence for being responsible for  any debts taken on by Mr B after her announcement. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kopek said:

No. Because you aren’t liable for your spouse’s debts. Husbands used to be responsible for debts of wives incurred under what was known as agency of necessity ( which used to allow a wife to pledge her husbands credit ).

@Rog the law here and in England is identical. 

40 years ago we did lots of these, there were notices in every Manx paper. Not seen one in ages. However even then they were worthless, you had to prove anyone extending credit had seen the notice. Impossible.

However, a wife has never been responsible for the debts of her husband out of her separate property ( and if it’s joint they aren’t the debts of her husband - they’re joint)

You can attribute whatever motive you wish. 

• Like 1

She will of course still be responsible for her witless observations and complete lack of ability. No amount of media notices will alter those either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well said Uhtred.   Regarding the notice she must have taken legal advice on this perhaps it is to do with the cleaning contract with the hospital that was pulled when she was in charge.    Karma, no sympathy at all.

• Thanks 1

Well considering the original notice was in the newspaper n the first place, I am sure the paid news folk would have been well aware long before MF.

Once the matter has been raised in a public forum it became legitimate news.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3

Having initially resigned as Health Minister and  now resigned as Mrs. Beecroft I’m hoping for the hat-trick and her resignation from the House of Keys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1