London or St Johns?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nor do i,  it is the coming back that fucks me off.

I see HQ went to London today, rather than remember the sacrifice of his countrymen quietly, amongst their relatives, here at home. 

It’s not. as someone else mentioned, it’s this constant round of contradictions. Are we our own nation, or not? That is all.  I was at One of Hector Duff’s celebrations a couple of week

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I see HQ went to London today, rather than remember the sacrifice of his countrymen quietly, amongst their relatives, here at home. 

More opportunities for Christmas shopping in London.

• Like 2

I think this question is more important than you might think at first. 

To whom is his elegance?  The Manx nation or the imperial overlords? When it suits us we are a small independent nation and at other times we are subject to the UK dominance. These dilemmas are perpetuated through the ages.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, Max Power said:

All the other CMs were there so it would have been a snub?

The CI's were occupied by the Nazis.

I think the CM should have noticed just a massive difference there....

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, war baby said:

But the services of many Commonwealth nations are remembered at the Cenotaph.

And should be represented by veterans or their relatives. Not sure it is the job of the CM

Edited by dilligaf
  • Sad 1
46 minutes ago, Max Power said:

All the other CMs were there so it would have been a snub?

It seems to have been the first time that the Isle of Man has been represented, but also the first time that Jersey and Guernsey were as well.  So they would have all presumably have agreed together and perhaps pressured to attend.

It does seem a bit odd.  The Commonwealth nations are usually represented by the High Commissioners, rather than their PMs or whatever.  Each of those will be involved in their own commemorations in their own country.  This smells a bit of "Look at us hanging out with the big boys" again.  But Remembrance Sunday seems to be increasingly about self-advertisement and assertion by politicians and media rather than remembering the dead or looking after the survivors.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

During the commentary to the event this morning it was stated that this was the first year that the CDs and overseas territories were represented by their respective representatives.

Previously a wreath has been laid on behalf of all these areas by an official from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

• Like 1