London or St Johns?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nor do i,  it is the coming back that fucks me off.

I see HQ went to London today, rather than remember the sacrifice of his countrymen quietly, amongst their relatives, here at home. 

It’s not. as someone else mentioned, it’s this constant round of contradictions. Are we our own nation, or not? That is all.  I was at One of Hector Duff’s celebrations a couple of week

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, De nada said:

Another post that is a nothing, shit stirring at it's most petty.

It’s not.

as someone else mentioned, it’s this constant round of contradictions. Are we our own nation, or not?

That is all. 

I was at One of Hector Duff’s celebrations a couple of weeks ago. The passion that man speaks with, of his missing comrades, and his tireless work for our home memorials, says everything.

This is a world wide remembrance, but I am fervently of the opinion that remembering our lost ones locally, in the towns and villages from where they came in this fair Isle, is a far greater tribute.

Just my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Any event that takes Quayle off the Island for as long as possible gets my vote. I keep emailing him about the environmental threats to the Great Barrier Reef.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Cheap shot at CM for attending a service (not even on armstice day) to commererate ALL those allies that fell for our freedom. 

I think you're missing the point here.  The real question is "What is new this year?".  Why has the Chief Minister suddenly decided to break the tradition followed by his predecessors for the last 100 years and go down to London to hang about there?  If commemorating the dead on the Island was felt to be the most important thing for those who were much nearer to the pain and the loss, why is it suddenly seen as second best now? 

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, asitis said:

This thread just reflects peoples dislike for the useless tool !

Unsurprising really ! on this occasion he may have been utterly correct, but you have to win respect and he doesn't have any here !

I can’t progress to be a fan, but as someone posted above -what has suddenly changed? would have half understood on the centenary of the end pf the Great War.

One cannot help being other than cynical with the number of trips HQ takes to London.

I suppose the main issue is who suggested this, and why?

• Like 4
8 hours ago, b4mbi said:

I find that a very disappointing post Derek.

Cheap shot at CM for attending a service (not even on armstice day) to commererate ALL those allies that fell for our freedom. 

I disagree.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, war baby said:

But to be fair, he can't be in two places at once.  I think anything that puts the Island a little better known is good.  It's part of his job.

I shall remember them.

Call me an ignoramus if you will, but I thought the job of the CM was to accompany the Lt Governator to the islands main Remembrance celebration

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think you're missing the point here.  The real question is "What is new this year?".  Why has the Chief Minister suddenly decided to break the tradition followed by his predecessors for the last 100 years and go down to London to hang about there?  If commemorating the dead on the Island was felt to be the most important thing for those who were much nearer to the pain and the loss, why is it suddenly seen as second best now? 

There was an extra effort this year to have contributing nations outside of the commonwealth to attend (Nepal particularly, for they contribute much) but I can't see that this would have been extended to the IOM