London or St Johns?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nor do i,  it is the coming back that fucks me off.

I see HQ went to London today, rather than remember the sacrifice of his countrymen quietly, amongst their relatives, here at home. 

It’s not. as someone else mentioned, it’s this constant round of contradictions. Are we our own nation, or not? That is all.  I was at One of Hector Duff’s celebrations a couple of week

Posted Images

I think I' might have worked out what happened here.  Earlier this year the House of Commons  with the rather portentous title: Global Britain and the British Overseas Territories: Resetting the relationship.  Technically this didn't include the Crown Dependencies and no evidence was heard from them[1], but among the various discontents reported from the BOTs was this one (p 30):

[...] However, their request to lay a Poppy Wreath on Remembrance Sunday at the National Service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph in Whitehall has not been accepted, thus far. There is a unanimous wish amongst the governments of the OTs that as their citizens have fought and died in the service of the Crown in various conflicts over the centuries, that they too should be able to pay tribute in the same way as Commonwealth nations, whose representatives lay a wreath each year at the Cenotaph. Since 2014, the Ambassador of Ireland has also been invited to lay a wreath in memory of Irish citizens who have served in the British Armed Forces, yet the OTs and the Crown Dependencies are still denied that same right. The Committee believes that it is time for this anomaly to be rectified. Before Remembrance Sunday 2019, the Foreign Secretary should explore the possibility of extending an invitation to each OT to send a representative to lay their own wreath, or at the very least one wreath laid by a different OT representative each year. (Paragraph 25)

While other of the Committee's recommendations might be controversial or expensive, this was one that would be fulfilled easily and cheap.  So this seems to be a permanent change.

It doesn't mean that it's the Chief Ministers that have to do it though.  From what I can see most of the BOTs got their permanent representatives in London to lay their separate wreath, while the main politicians participated in ceremonies back home.  The CMs of the CDs were only too keen to add to their air miles however, even though Jersey at least also has permanent representation.  You might have thought that they could have sent someone else (I'm sure Juan has got an appropriate uniform) but the lure of the big city was too strong.

[1]  Of course while the main department of contact for the BOTs is the FCO (which they aren't really happy about), for the Crown Dependencies it is the Ministry of Justice and so wouldn't really be under the main remit of this Committee anyway.

• Like 1

Does the IoM have any sort of representative in the UK?

Mrs Sturgeon sent the Leader of the SNP in the House of Commons to represent Scotland at the Cenotaph

She herself attended Scotland's own Remembrance event

Edited by Donald Trumps
4 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Does the IoM have any sort of representative in the UK?

Mrs Sturgeon sent the Leader of the SNP in the House iof Commons to represent Scotland at the Cenotaph

She herself attended Scotland's own Remembrance event

It certainly didn't have any rep two years ago when Quayle told the Keys

Our external engagement on behalf of the Isle of Man Government is undertaken principally by myself as Chief Minister and also the Council of Ministers, supported by senior officers. Such engagement is carefully planned and targeted.

Though they have had one in the past.

It's fairly standard for the local leaders to attend ceremonies in their own countries, the only exception is the Irish who tend to go to the North, presumably due to the lack of suitable monuments in the South. A tradition has arisen where the Taoiseach goes to Enniskillen, though of course there are other reasons for attending there

• Like 1