Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

MOT's on the way?

19 minutes ago, Rog said:

Well I've had a reply from the DVSA asking for further details and reiterating that with the exception of certain classic cars all motor vehicles must have a current MOT or equivalent valid inspection certificate if from an EU country if to be driven on UK roads.  The plot thickens!

The person you are dealing with probably never heard of the IOM or thinks it's part of the UK. He'll pass it on to his boss who will be similar. Repeat several times. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woolley said:

The person you are dealing with probably never heard of the IOM or thinks it's part of the UK. He'll pass it on to his boss who will be similar. Repeat several times. 

Hopefully it will have set a ball rolling.  The idea of untested and so potentially dangerous vehicles driving on our roads especially if because of an oversight is appalling.

It may well result in some form of concession such as the period of time allowed to drive a car registered other than in the UK before it must be registered in the UK but let's see!

• Haha 1

As far as I can tell the legal position is that "foreign registered vehicles from any country can be brought into and used in the UK on a temporary basis by persons who are not resident [there] for up to six months at a time".  There are various conditions (basically you have to be able to prove this on demand) and you can't keep the registration if you are resident or (in most cases) after six months.  MOT's are only valid on UK-registered cars so you don't need an MOT. 

Of course your car still needs to be in a fit condition, so you can't drive round on bald tyres, for example, no matter what your number plate says - you will still be prosecuted.

This appears to be a Vienna Convention situation, applying to all countries, so if the UK leaves the EU it shouldn't change (though there may be complications with insurance).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If I recall correctly, at the time MOTs were discussed around 1998, a UK government advisor told us that any vehicle is accepted to be driven on another country's roads providing it complies with the laws of its home country of registration. That means that providing your car is roadworthy as laid down by our DoI, which match MOT legislation, then you can drive it anywhere. (Headlamp conversion assumed)  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As far as I can tell the legal position is that "foreign registered vehicles from any country can be brought into and used in the UK on a temporary basis by persons who are not resident [there] for up to six months at a time".  There are various conditions (basically you have to be able to prove this on demand) and you can't keep the registration if you are resident or (in most cases) after six months.  MOT's are only valid on UK-registered cars so you don't need an MOT. 

Of course your car still needs to be in a fit condition, so you can't drive round on bald tyres, for example, no matter what your number plate says - you will still be prosecuted.

This appears to be a Vienna Convention situation, applying to all countries, so if the UK leaves the EU it shouldn't change (though there may be complications with insurance).

The fly in the ointment to this concerns annual inspection. This is a requirement across the EU resulting in the importation of any vehicle that has not been inspected in line with EU directive having to pass an inspection before being permitted to be used on any UK road irrespective of anything else.

2 minutes ago, Rog said:

The fly in the ointment to this concerns annual inspection. This is a requirement across the EU resulting in the importation of any vehicle that has not been inspected in line with EU directive having to pass an inspection before being permitted to be used on any UK road irrespective of anything else.

See my post above Rog, I know that 1998 sounds a long time ago but this question was asked and was particularly important for C.I. drivers. Someone even suggested tipping off the Ministry of Transport in the UK and suggesting that they set up roadside checks at Heysham. The answer was that if the cars are legal here, then they can be driven in the UK or any country.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Max Power said:

See my post above Rog, I know that 1998 sounds a long time ago but this question was asked and was particularly important for C.I. drivers. Someone even suggested tipping off the Ministry of Transport in the UK and suggesting that they set up roadside checks at Heysham. The answer was that if the cars are legal here, then they can be driven in the UK or any country.

Possibly not quite so.  Time has moved on. Check out EU directive 2014/45/EU and it's extension published in May 2018.  I believe this is what my question to the DVSC has triggered with regards use of Manx cars without a MOT. At least I fervently hope so.

Edited by Rog
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rog said:

Possibly not quite so.  Time has moved on. Check out EU directive 2014/45/EU and it's extension published in May 2018.  I believe this is what my question to the DVSC has triggered with regards use of Manx cars without a MOT has triggered.  At least I fervently hope so.

Interesting, I take your point. It seems that we are operating under some sort of grey area, being an offshore dependency and not a full EU member? I imagine that the above will apply, until the excrement hits the fan and there is a huge accident caused by an elderly Manx registered vehicle with a safety defect which could have been picked up at a test, such as tyres cracking and coming apart on a motorway.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

Interesting, I take your point. It seems that we are operating under some sort of grey area, being an offshore dependency and not a full EU member? I imagine that the above will apply, until the excrement hits the fan and there is a huge accident caused by an elderly Manx registered vehicle with a safety defect which could have been picked up at a test, such as tyres cracking and coming apart on a motorway.

That is exactly my concern.

53 minutes ago, Rog said:

But the EU can only impose such requirements on its own members, not those outside the EU such as the Isle of Man is.  It's possible the UK might pressure the Crown Dependencies into bringing in such tests, but that's a different situation and not likely to be happening soon given the current uncertain relationship with the EU.

The Keys Question and its follow-ups are now available (though that's only a rolling version so link will change).  It's all very rambling and confused (even by Keys standards) but Peake[1] was obviously trying to push for MOTs based on the defects found in the spot checks.  There seemed little interest from Malarkey and Boot also spoke against as did Cregeen (sort of).

[1]  As I've pointed out before he vary rarely asks questions, but he's got two motoring-related ones in this session.  There are some Tynwald members who seem to only ask about things they are personally interested in and I think he used to be involved in rallying and so on.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the EU can only impose such requirements on its own members, not those outside the EU such as the Isle of Man is.  It's possible the UK might pressure the Crown Dependencies into bringing in such tests, but that's a different situation and not likely to be happening soon given the current uncertain relationship with the EU.

The Keys Question and its follow-ups are now available (though that's only a rolling version so link will change).  It's all very rambling and confused (even by Keys standards) but Peake[1] was obviously trying to push for MOTs based on the defects found in the spot checks.  There seemed little interest from Malarkey and Boot also spoke against as did Cregeen (sort of).

[1]  As I've pointed out before he vary rarely asks questions, but he's got two motoring-related ones in this session.  There are some Tynwald members who seem to only ask about things they are personally interested in and I think he used to be involved in rallying and so on.

As to the introduction of an equivalent annual test to our MOT or other annual tests that have been homologated across member states and its effect on the island implementing the same - that is almost beside the point.  

The point is the use of vehicles on the roads of the UK that have not been tested and issued with certification of compliance with  EU directive. The consequences might well be that every Manx registered motor vehicle would be legally required to be tested at an MOT test entry before being allowed to be then used on UK roads.

5 minutes ago, Rog said:

The point is the use of vehicles on the roads of the UK that have not been tested and issued with certification of compliance with  EU directive. The consequences might well be that every Manx registered motor vehicle would be legally required to be tested at an MOT test entry before being allowed to be then used on UK roads.

You might as well go the whole way, and have a rule that everyone driving on UK roads has to have passed a UK driving test

• Like 1