Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

MOT's on the way?

5 hours ago, Rog said:

The fly in the ointment to this concerns annual inspection. This is a requirement across the EU resulting in the importation of any vehicle that has not been inspected in line with EU directive having to pass an inspection before being permitted to be used on any UK road irrespective of anything else.

But by visiting the UK you are not importing your vehicle any more than you are taking up residence.

29 minutes ago, Rog said:

It's not the UK government, it's the Manx government that needs deal with this.

Have you considered minding your own business?. Or perhaps being less of a popmpous cockhead?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Interesting, I take your point. It seems that we are operating under some sort of grey area, being an offshore dependency and not a full EU member? I imagine that the above will apply, until the excrement hits the fan and there is a huge accident caused by an elderly Manx registered vehicle with a safety defect which could have been picked up at a test, such as tyres cracking and coming apart on a motorway.

Like this one, you mean?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23320526

39 minutes ago, woolley said:

But you are looking for answers from the UK.

Not at all!  All I'm doing is pointing out  that under existing UK law a Manx vehicle must have a valid UK MOT before I can be permitted to drive on UK roads.  Maybe a bit like the VAT rebate that was suddenly recognised after having been ignored for so long this MOT requirement has been overlooked.  It's going to be fun to see what happens now it's been exposed!

Edited by Rog

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

Not at all!  All I'm doing is pointing out  that under existing UK law a Manx vehicle must have a valid UK MOT before I can be permitted to drive on UK roads!

Wrong. Only needed if it is to be registered as a UK vehicle

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, display name said:

Have you considered minding your own business?. Or perhaps being less of a popmpous cockhead?

But having untested and so potentially dangerous vehicles on our roads for the lack of compliance with our laws IS my business and the business of every other road user here.

2 minutes ago, display name said:

Wrong. Only needed if it is to be registered as a UK vehicle

Not so. Non UK vehicles from the EU are subject to inspection on a par with the UK MOT.

26 minutes ago, display name said:

Absolutely. Rog has now surpassed all other idiots on here, me included, and is now the biggest k**b posting.

I said “is” not “has”.

6 minutes ago, Rog said:

Not at all!  All I'm doing is pointing out  that under existing UK law a Manx vehicle must have a valid UK MOT before I can be permitted to drive on UK roads.  Maybe a bit like the VAT rebate that was suddenly recognised after having been ignored for so long this MOT requirement has been overlooked.  It's going to be fun to see what happens now it's been exposed!

You've pointed it out several times, but that doesn't make it so. If you were importing a vehicle to the UK from IOM and registering it there, then I would agree. It would then become a UK vehicle and within the scope of the EU directive thus needing a test. As a visitor from outside the EU and in full compliance with its home legislation it does not. Of course, the keeper is still responsible for good condition and roadworthiness, which is exactly as it should be.

27 minutes ago, woolley said:

But by visiting the UK you are not importing your vehicle any more than you are taking up residence.

Very true but that has nothing to do with the requirement to have a Manx vehicle having a UK or EU equivalent MOT.

Just now, Rog said:

Very true but that has nothing to do with the requirement to have a Manx vehicle having a UK or EU equivalent MOT.

Yes it does. It means that there is no such requirement.

7 minutes ago, Rog said:

But having untested and so potentially dangerous vehicles on our roads for the lack of compliance with our laws IS my business and the business of every other road user here.

But as I have pointed out several times, there are still many cars getting a certificate  that is not worth the paper it is printed on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rog said:

Not so. Non UK vehicles from the EU are subject to inspection on a par with the UK MOT.

Yes. From the EU. It is EU law. Has no effect on vehicles from outside. Jeez.

Anyway. It's turned 6 on Friday. I'm off. :)

1 minute ago, woolley said:

You've pointed it out several times, but that doesn't make it so. If you were importing a vehicle to the UK from IOM and registering it there, then I would agree. It would then become a UK vehicle and within the scope of the EU directive thus needing a test. As a visitor from outside the EU and in full compliance with its home legislation it does not. Of course, the keeper is still responsible for good condition and roadworthiness, which is exactly as it should be.

Here there is a legal requirement for any vehicle with the exception of cars over a certain age to have a valid MOT or equivalent, valid VED subject to a time prior the entry to be UK and a minimum of third party insurance before making any journey on our roads other than to the nearest MOT station for a pre booked test..

That is the bottom line.