MOT's on the way?

Max Power

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I would suggest that it's typical ineptitude on the gov's part. If they can't even give accurate population figures how can they say how many vehicles use the roads.

Surely part of the necessary survey should be a plethora of vehicle counters that were timed as well as counting vehicles. This should have been/should be done before any road alterations or area plans or any planning permission.

I suppose it's too logical or doesn't make a profit or might prove govt. predictions wrong so it will not be done.

Well the fact they seem to producing different figures for the same thing suggests they're not even measuring vehicle registrations consistently year to year (that's also hinted at in the IOMIN report).  But it's rather worse than not being able to count the population - after all these are the licences they are issuing themselves - they don't need to go round the streets counting them.

Traffic counts are very old technology - you don't need schoolchildren to sit there with pen and paper - automatic systems to record what traffic goes through has been available since 1937 according to Wiki and has certainly been done on the Island for as long as I can remember (and yes they exist for bicycles and even pedestrians as well).  The fact the DoI rarely appear to publish or use such data to inform what traffic and road measures they propose suggest that they have given up even the pretence that any of these thing are being done for the benefit of the public rather than as a way of justifying their own existence and keeping their chums well-paid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Why not MOT politicians? After 3 years their ability to perform the function they were elected for is checked over.

Maybe the things they had or hadn't achieved should be  taken into account and they should either not be allowed to continue or placed on the scrap heap.

It would look bad with 100% fail rate

Edited by manxy

15 hours ago, finlo said:

I thought they tidied up the vehicle register some time ago to allow them to flog off disused reg numbers?

I wonder what the market is like in cherished numbers. The Manx range is a bit limiting, and they want eye-watering fees for numbers that you could once just go and choose out of a school exercise book in government offices for a small premium on the standard registration cost. I must check the blue book to see if this revenue is a discrete item. Probably isn't!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woolley said:

They're nutters. They keep saying we should spend our budget surplus on this even though we don't have a budget surplus. 

They might well be nutters, but their main point is correct. If more people get involved that might dilute the nutter:less nuts ratio

22 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There will be some of those no doubt, but numbers that are simply retained are dealt with separately. These seem to be vehicles licensed for road use.  And there aren't that many cars in collections like that.  Probably more bikes that only get taken out a few times a year, but all motorcycles in total will be a lot less than 7,000.  As I said the vast majority of licences are for cars.

And yes, the high number surprises me too.

I don't mean retained numbers, I mean cars which have retained an IoM number and taxed and in use in the UK or elsewhere.

8 hours ago, woolley said:

I wonder what the market is like in cherished numbers. The Manx range is a bit limiting, and they want eye-watering fees for numbers that you could once just go and choose out of a school exercise book in government offices for a small premium on the standard registration cost. I must check the blue book to see if this revenue is a discrete item. Probably isn't!

It's nothing like it used to be so I imagine that the stock of numbers shifts slowly enough to balance out to what the previous income was. The prices are absolutely crazy, IoMG are asking the same rates as the number plate sharks in the UK.

21 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

A HNW pal of mine has a very interesting take on global warming. He buys MORE cars.

the logic is he can only drive one at a time and therefore he is denying others the opportunity to use them concurrently. 

Can’t find a flaw TBH

longworth started that game with the buses

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Month on. Update?

I've written to them (Friday last) asking for an update.  Thus far only the usual "we've got your message"

I'm NOT going to let this drop though and my next step will be raising the same question with the AA and maybe with my car insurer.

I'm more than a little disappointed that those who do keep a watching brief on this site haven't triggered a formal clarification from the Manx government though.