Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

MOT's on the way?

14 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Rather than regular vehicle tests, regular driver tests would be more appropriate and effective.

Precisely - all the evidence overwhemingly supports this.

Although this would impact every driver, rather than just the hoi polloi who can't afford a flash new car. You've got to wonder whether this is the reason that the statistical evidence is being so blatently ignored.

A driving test every year or so for every driver should come before any vehicle testing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Chris C said:

But it costs the garage to file the MOT with the authorities. I used to live down the road from a garage that offered MOT's for around £30, they had a huge sign advertising it on their gable wall.At the time it cost the garage around £40 to register the MOT with whoever it was they registered it with.

So either they were so committed to road safety they were happy to run their business at a loss, or (as happened every time I took my car there for an MOT) they found something expensive wrong with it). Funnily enough when I got wise to them and started taking my car to a place that charged around £65 for an MOT, the same (now older) car didn't have a single fail for the next 5 years.

With a full service for my heap coming in at £450 plus tip throwing in a free MOT is a good loss leader. 4 tyres are close to £800 so here again it's a good pull to persuade me from going to Asda. I've never had any work identified as needing to be done though I do change my car every 20 months or so. Even though I don't need an MOT the assurance that everything is up to code is worth having.

7 minutes ago, Rog said:

With a full service for my heap coming in at £450 plus tip throwing in a free MOT is a good loss leader. 4 tyres are close to £800 so here again it's a good pull to persuade me from going to Asda. I've never had any work identified as needing to be done though I do change my car every 20 months or so. Even though I don't need an MOT the assurance that everything is up to code is worth having.

A "full service" rarely goes beyond an oil change using barely more than £10 in materials!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

A "full service" rarely goes beyond an oil change using barely more than £10 in materials!

Not when it's a big Merc to manufacturers spec. 

10 minutes ago, Rog said:

Not when it's a big Merc to manufacturers spec. 

You think? They'll look at lot's thing's to drum up extra work but do little else.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, finlo said:

You think? They'll look at lot's thing's to drum up extra work but do little else.

One (of many) nice things about a Merc is the fixed prices and in the case of servicing the various work that gets done. Our local garage offers customers all the bits that have been replaced as proof of work done.  In the case of my thing there's more effing filters than you could imagine. Then there's the fully synthetic oils. Add tracking, brake ballance with print out of test results.  It's not an oil and filter and (if you're lucky) plugs and points change. Not any more. As for extra work, its reputation that matters because it's hard to gain but all too easy to lose and with lots of competition around reputation is a very closely guarded thing.

6 minutes ago, Rog said:

One (of many) nice things about a Merc is the fixed prices and in the case of servicing the various work that gets done. Our local garage offers customers all the bits that have been replaced as proof of work done.  In the case of my thing there's more effing filters than you could imagine. Then there's the fully synthetic oils. Add tracking, brake ballance with print out of test results.  It's not an oil and filter and (if you're lucky) plugs and points change. Not any more. As for extra work, its reputation that matters because it's hard to gain but all too easy to lose and with lots of competition around reputation is a very closely guarded thing.

As long as your happy :whistling:

• Like 1

One of the beauties of the Isle of Man is that we are a relatively 'affluent' Country, this is reflected in our number of recently new vehicles on our roads

If you were to go to rural areas southern Germany or France you would see a much higher proportion of   '' heaps of shit  '' than we have on the Island!

There are, of course, a small number of vehicles that should be subjected to an MOT but is this a percentage that would require the intro of an MOT with all its law and expense???

Don't create a problem where it doesn't exist!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't see there being too many "heaps of shit" on southern German roads with the strictures of their national TUV testing regime?

...but in the rural area there are cars that would never be seen on the Islands roads!

Whether there is a leniency in such areas or a presumption that a 20 y/o Peugeot is OK on country roads and one might need their vote in the next Mayoral election or not, I do not know but it is so.

37 minutes ago, woolley said:

I think they saw him coming.

Fucking voyeurs

• Haha 2

This is one of those areas that an MHK will ask a question, get an nod of approval from the others and hen hand the problem over the the civil servants who will be required  to come up with the solution to the 'alleged' problem. For the MHK, it's is a matter long forgotten but the machinery of Govt grinds on  and LO... we have a situation that the MHK has long forgotten about becoming Law!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris C said:

Precisely - all the evidence overwhemingly supports this.

Although this would impact every driver, rather than just the hoi polloi who can't afford a flash new car. You've got to wonder whether this is the reason that the statistical evidence is being so blatently ignored.

A driving test every year or so for every driver should come before any vehicle testing.

Don’t be fucking stupid. Get a life.

what class are you in ?

Edited by dilligaf

19 minutes ago, Kopek said:

This is one of those areas that an MHK will ask a question, get an nod of approval from the others and hen hand the problem over the the civil servants who will be required  to come up with the solution to the 'alleged' problem. For the MHK, it's is a matter long forgotten but the machinery of Govt grinds on  and LO... we have a situation that the MHK has long forgotten about becoming Law!!!!!!!!!!!

With the civil servants duly seeing and exploiting a God-given opportunity to expand their base, increase their empires and numbers and exploit further taxation revenue.

• Like 1