Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

MOT's on the way?

35 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Rog, if you think so badly about us Manx, where we live, how we live and what we drive, why bother joining and posting on Manx Forums.?

They leave physically but never quite let go mentally.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, woolley said:
1 hour ago, Rog said:

Well I've had an initial response from the DVSA.  I'm now awaiting a detailed and  considered reply sometime in the next ten days.  This might prove to be fun!  

I predict that you won't hear back for a very long time and if/when you do, it won't be very much fun at all, and neither detailed nor considered. They'll think you're some time wasting nutjob, and you'll get just the usual government bureaucrat fob off. If you think you can change anything like this single-handedly, you are actually deluded.

Hm.

46 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The best thing about the introduction of testing, was that the HGV drivers got decent trucks to drive instead of some of the death traps they used to have.

Which is food for the whole pro MOT argument if ever there was...

• Thanks 1

On the subject of safety ( ? ), does anyone know why the road from Onchan to Baldrine, is 50MPH now instead of unrestricted ? It is 50 mph for TT and FOM, but I wonder why they have changed now !

8 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

On the subject of safety ( ? ), does anyone know why the road from Onchan to Baldrine, is 50MPH now instead of unrestricted ? It is 50 mph for TT and FOM, but I wonder why they have changed now !

National speed limit by stealth,  been going on for years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

National speed limit by stealth,  been going on for years.

True. The 50mph coast road limit was put in place for the TT and FOM a couple of years ago (with success as as far as accidents/fatalities are concerned) - it's just cunningly never been rescinded after the events...

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

I predict that you won't hear back for a very long time and if/when you do, it won't be very much fun at all, and neither detailed nor considered. They'll think you're some time wasting nutjob, and you'll get just the usual government bureaucrat fob off. If you think you can change anything like this single-handedly, you are actually deluded.

You may well be right, in fact you probably are, but it's a thing that someone has to raise.  The implications of a Manx rust bucket causing a multiple are to horrible to contemplate and if it did happen the fact that the question of untested cars being allowed on the roads would now be bound to crop up along with any response that in effect shrugged the matter off after it had been questioned.   Can I change anything?  Well everything has to start somewhere and in a matter so safety critical as this started by someone.

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

True. The 50mph coast road limit was put in place for the TT and FOM a couple of years ago (with success as as far as accidents/fatalities are concerned) - it's just cunningly never been rescinded after the events...

As far as I can see, this has been changed in the last few days.

Edited by dilligaf

15 minutes ago, Rog said:

You may well be right, in fact you probably are, but it's a thing that someone has to raise.  The implications of a Manx rust bucket causing a multiple are to horrible to contemplate and if it did happen the fact that the question of untested cars being allowed on the roads would now be bound to crop up along with any response that in effect shrugged the matter off after it had been questioned.   Can I change anything?  Well everything has to start somewhere and in a matter so safety critical as this started by someone.

I will bet you that there are more cars on UK roads with dodgy or completely fake MOTs, than total cars over here in the Isle of Man. 

I bought a car in UK with a dodgy MOT

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I will bet you that there are more cars on UK roads with dodgy or completely fake MOTs, than total cars over here in the Isle of Man. 

Not any more.  No doubt there will be a few,ere Leah's will be, but the whole vehicle licensing, insurance, and MOT control is a tight as a ducks arse. With the police and highways agency monitoring traffic it's virtually impossible to travel five miles without having your number plate scanned.  

For the government to introduce compulsory mots, the cost of the legislation alone would be immense. Road side checks are much better, but there need to be more of them. Cars these days usually tell the driver when there is a problem. If the lights are not working properly, this reveals a driver potentially does not bother about maintenance and the inspectors are likely to find more faults. Perhaps bigger fines and a compulsory test centre visit could be the way forward. However, I agree, it is the quality of driving that is the problem.

There is still the problem that with a car that is more than a few years old, how can you tell that a side light, tail light or brake light has failed en route? All you can do is check, (as you should) before each journey and then hope that it carries on working until you get to your destination.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rog said:

Not any more.  No doubt there will be a few,ere Leah's will be, but the whole vehicle licensing, insurance, and MOT control is a tight as a ducks arse. With the police and highways agency monitoring traffic it's virtually impossible to travel five miles without having your number plate scanned.  

You're living in a dream world. Obviously never carried out an MOT to VOSA standards in your life

32 minutes ago, Cambon said:

For the government to introduce compulsory mots, the cost of the legislation alone would be immense. Road side checks are much better, but there need to be more of them. Cars these days usually tell the driver when there is a problem. If the lights are not working properly, this reveals a driver potentially does not bother about maintenance and the inspectors are likely to find more faults. Perhaps bigger fines and a compulsory test centre visit could be the way forward. However, I agree, it is the quality of driving that is the problem.

22 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

There is still the problem that with a car that is more than a few years old, how can you tell that a side light, tail light or brake light has failed en route? All you can do is check, (as you should) before each journey and then hope that it carries on working until you get to your destination.

A man with a trolley jack on a cold, wet and windy evening at the roadside is never going to be able to do a thorough check of any vehicle. It's just a cursory look to keep the politicians happy!

The old light bulb chestnut is quite true, however brake discs, shock absorbers, steering and suspension components, tyres, drive joints and gaiters, oil seals, engine mountings, brake calipers and hydraulics all don't fail overnight. They gradually manifest themselves and drivers gradually and unconsciously adapt to them, not realising the defect until it causes an accident of some sort. Most accidents occur without the cars ever being tested, minor bumps and scrapes with no injuries. How many of these can be attributed to a small defect?

I don't understand what the fuss is about, c.£47.00 for a full vehicle safety check, a give away in my opinion!

I don't dis-agree with you....However...................In my 65 years associated with the motor trade I have become rather jaded in my opinion of many of the excessively profit motivated attitudes.

I think one of the prime problems with folks is that they just don't trust the motor trade to carry out a non-biased test and I agree with that view.

I also believe that the test should be specifically aimed at safety related items and also accept that a component doesn't have to be as new as long as it is safe.

Because of the above I think that maybe a testing station should have absolutely no attachment to any part of the garage trade, it should be a totally independent station that only does tests, maybe a govt. based station, (maybe), but certainly not  nerdy jobsworths.

• Like 1