Hospital Appoinment Reminders

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

It is shambolic and, sadly, seems to reflect on the whole service (which I have always found excellent, when you get there).  I have another experience which involved an urgent scan being required by a close family member.  The referral was urgent, ie within a week, but it took 6 weeks to get the scan; there seemed to be a Bermuda triangle that sucked us down.   Thankfully, the dreaded outcome was not present, but how is something referred by a GP as super-urgent caught up in the appointments system? 

Again, once we got to the appointment  the clinicians were excellent.  Not so the system that got us there.  If it had been the worst diagnosis expected, how much could be attributed to a crap system?

Correct. It does reflect very badly on the entire service, at the same time giving them more difficult medical problems to solve. It is partially responsible for the low morale we keep hearing about. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, we are told by the health minister that the text reminder system for  hospital appointments is expected to solve the missed appointment numbers.  It is only being trialled in a couple of areas.

Yes, the system has been running force a while  but you had the option to stop receiving text reminders, iirc.  The concept is good, the execution is not.  It seems like there are several system

I have a long term serious lung illness and over the years I seem to see a different consultant each of my  six month checks. Each time they try to alter the previous prescription or just ask if I fee

1 hour ago, WTF said:

they don't want a decent appointment system because the staff would be busy all day and it would cost more in more treatments, they want people to pay and go private which surprisingly doesn't seem to have any issues with actually getting an appointment in good time and it being when you expect,  maybe they should get those people sending out the  private appointments to send out the NHS ones too ?

I don't think this is the case because delayed treatments are invariably more involved and costly treatments. Then of course there is the risk of legal action and potential compensation to factor in. It would be much better all round just to sort out the appointments system. 

• Like 1

I have a long term serious lung illness and over the years I seem to see a different consultant each of my  six month checks. Each time they try to alter the previous prescription or just ask if I feel ok and say right we'll keep things as they were with no knowledge of me or my history other than a cursory glance at the notes.

For four appointments I actually had the same consultant and most of the problems associated with my illness were sorted out or at least an equilibrium was reached.

I do wonder how my illness would have progressed if there had been just one or two people caring for me. I feel if it hadn't been for my good, old constant GP I would not be here anymore.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I signed up for reminder texts after it was offered to me by two separate clinics, did not get them.   I always put any appointments straight in my diary so it was not a problem just wondering why they are pushing a service that is not working.

Does not work on landlines :)

We still have one , purely because we are charged for one in our internet contract

Having said that, the land line phone has caused the internet to fail on occasions

Edited by dilligaf
10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

We still have one , purely because we are charged for one in our internet contract

Having said that, the land line phone has caused the internet to fail on occasions

Binned mine year's ago bad enough having to have a mobile!

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

Binned mine year's ago bad enough having to have a mobile!

Agreed ..never got my mobile with me ..win win no spam or dodgy calls . Those you need to know how to get me . Sure payg once a fortnight £5 ! Sure wifi router £20 a month . Mmmm appointments ...mental health services who I've been party to there operation for nigh on 5 years on and of terrible service . Your lucky to even get a appointment . Ohh have some meds ...see your doctor .dont get as far as a text . Poor people out there who aren't as pro active as I try to be 

Edited by Numbnuts

Part of the problem relates to events back in 2013/2014, when Mark Lewin (ex COO of Sefton Hotel, Nat West/RBS 'change manager', and now CEO Dept for Enterprise) was put in charge of Govt IT. To make "savings" he recommended it was centralised along with the health IT budgets, with some health people who had knowledge and experience of health and health IT being made redundant. The proposal was fully supported by that well known 'IT expert,' 'ex-IOM banker' and Treasury Minster, Eddie Teare. Any suggestion that Teare and Lewin had a long association stemming back to the banking world (IOM Bank, Nat West, RBS)  being apparently spurious rumour and the decision to centralise IT made purely on a "economies of scale" basis.

Given the hospital had in those days some 150+ IT applications, the new Government Technology Service (GTS) organisation struggled to cope as those came from health into GTS were deployed on other non-health projects, and non-health people (the former Government Information Systems Division staff - aka 'ISD') were deployed on health IT 'to gain experience'. Sadly many of them saw the hospital as no different to other IT systems and failed to appreciate that there were vulnerable patients on the end of virtually all the IT applications.

I understand that following Lewin's departure to DfE, his 'folly' was recognised and health IT are now back as a semi-autonomous organisation with some of their own staff, but without the budgets they used to have, and so struggle. The messaging system is but one victim, but I am told there are others mainly because many of those staff (including contractors) who have been involved in the last five years did not fully understand the inter-relationships that go in the health world and see each IT system as discrete and rarely inter-related. Unpicking the mess, takes time, money and knowledgeable staff  being properly managed - all aspects which are in short supply apparently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1