Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Gladys

Hospital Appoinment Reminders

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yes, the system has been running force a while  but you had the option to stop receiving text reminders, iirc.  The concept is good, the execution is not. 

It seems like there are several system running that cannot talk to each other.  For example, when I see my consultant, he writes out a slip for the next appointment which I then take to the reception so the appointment can be booked, not there and then, but I receive a letter in the post some days later.  By no means am I a techie, but surely automation of the entire booking process is relatively simple and there must be existing systems available "off the peg" that include a reminder function that works. 

You really would think so, wouldn't you? The money that the government throws at things, yet they can't even sort this out. The most galling thing is that if an appointment doesn't materialise as promised and you follow up, it seems that they cannot do anything or find any details to put the thing right. Then it falls down a hole between appointments and the consultant's secretary and nobody will take responsibility or communicate, even if you take it to the highest level. It is quite unbelievable incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

My Dentist uses text reminders and seems to work well, couple of days in advance of the appointment so time to change/cancel if reqd.

My dentist tried it...but everyone turned up at the same time...at 2.30.

Badum tish! Aye thank you.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, woolley said:

You really would think so, wouldn't you? The money that the government throws at things, yet they can't even sort this out. The most galling thing is that if an appointment doesn't materialise as promised and you follow up, it seems that they cannot do anything or find any details to put the thing right. Then it falls down a hole between appointments and the consultant's secretary and nobody will take responsibility or communicate, even if you take it to the highest level. It is quite unbelievable incompetence.

It is shambolic and, sadly, seems to reflect on the whole service (which I have always found excellent, when you get there).  I have another experience which involved an urgent scan being required by a close family member.  The referral was urgent, ie within a week, but it took 6 weeks to get the scan; there seemed to be a Bermuda triangle that sucked us down.   Thankfully, the dreaded outcome was not present, but how is something referred by a GP as super-urgent caught up in the appointments system? 

Again, once we got to the appointment  the clinicians were excellent.  Not so the system that got us there.  If it had been the worst diagnosis expected, how much could be attributed to a crap system?

• Like 3

they don't want a decent appointment system because the staff would be busy all day and it would cost more in more treatments, they want people to pay and go private which surprisingly doesn't seem to have any issues with actually getting an appointment in good time and it being when you expect,  maybe they should get those people sending out the  private appointments to send out the NHS ones too ?

Edited by WTF

9 hours ago, Gladys said:

It is shambolic and, sadly, seems to reflect on the whole service (which I have always found excellent, when you get there).  I have another experience which involved an urgent scan being required by a close family member.  The referral was urgent, ie within a week, but it took 6 weeks to get the scan; there seemed to be a Bermuda triangle that sucked us down.   Thankfully, the dreaded outcome was not present, but how is something referred by a GP as super-urgent caught up in the appointments system? 

Again, once we got to the appointment  the clinicians were excellent.  Not so the system that got us there.  If it had been the worst diagnosis expected, how much could be attributed to a crap system?

Correct. It does reflect very badly on the entire service, at the same time giving them more difficult medical problems to solve. It is partially responsible for the low morale we keep hearing about. 

1 hour ago, WTF said:

they don't want a decent appointment system because the staff would be busy all day and it would cost more in more treatments, they want people to pay and go private which surprisingly doesn't seem to have any issues with actually getting an appointment in good time and it being when you expect,  maybe they should get those people sending out the  private appointments to send out the NHS ones too ?

I don't think this is the case because delayed treatments are invariably more involved and costly treatments. Then of course there is the risk of legal action and potential compensation to factor in. It would be much better all round just to sort out the appointments system. 

• Like 1

I have a long term serious lung illness and over the years I seem to see a different consultant each of my  six month checks. Each time they try to alter the previous prescription or just ask if I feel ok and say right we'll keep things as they were with no knowledge of me or my history other than a cursory glance at the notes.

For four appointments I actually had the same consultant and most of the problems associated with my illness were sorted out or at least an equilibrium was reached.

I do wonder how my illness would have progressed if there had been just one or two people caring for me. I feel if it hadn't been for my good, old constant GP I would not be here anymore.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

My dentist tried it...but everyone turned up at the same time...at 2.30.

Badum tish! Aye thank you.

Taxi for Albert!  ;-)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, woolley said:

Well, I've heard the horror stories, but have nothing but good to say about the actual treatment IF you can get past the admin. Heard plenty of horror stories from the UK NHS and private health providers too, to be fair.

It’s sad as the clinical treatment is excellent but as with most of government it’s over managed to a degree that nothing effective can actually be delivered as 5 people are flighting over one thing to do to keep them occupied and if it all ran smoothly they’d only need to employ one person to pull it together. 

• Like 1

I signed up for reminder texts after it was offered to me by two separate clinics, did not get them.   I always put any appointments straight in my diary so it was not a problem just wondering why they are pushing a service that is not working.

21 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I signed up for reminder texts after it was offered to me by two separate clinics, did not get them.   I always put any appointments straight in my diary so it was not a problem just wondering why they are pushing a service that is not working.

Does not work on landlines :)

13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Does not work on landlines :)

Who still has a landline (businesses aside).

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

Who still has a landline (businesses aside).

God knows :ph34r:

We still have one , purely because we are charged for one in our internet contract

Having said that, the land line phone has caused the internet to fail on occasions

Edited by dilligaf

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

We still have one , purely because we are charged for one in our internet contract

Having said that, the land line phone has caused the internet to fail on occasions

Binned mine year's ago bad enough having to have a mobile!