Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
BallaDoc

Roads closed due to ice

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52114&headline=Roads closed due to ice&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

If you travel over the mountain road, has anyone noticed that the electronic road sign warning of ice on the outskirts of Douglas appears to be pointing the wrong way?  Leaving Ramsey, you see a sign warning of ice as you start the climb up the mountain, you do indeed discover ice at the top of the mountain, and then just as you are entering the outskirts of Douglas, there is a second sign warning you about the ice (which you have already seen) but facing the traffic coming down from the mountain.  There is no corresponding sign warning traffic about to go up the mountain about the ice.

Now, I say the sign appears to be pointing the wrong way, because I'm sure this is just me missing something obvious, and not incompetence by the DOI.  But I can't for the life of me think what the purpose of it is.

There is another sign to warn drivers leaving Douglas. Maybe it wasn’t switched on when you went past. 

The other sign you are talking about, facing drivers entering Douglas, was originally facing drivers leaving Douglas but it was so far down the road from the Jonny Wattersons junction that you couldn’t read it. So if it said ‘road closed’ people would drive towards the mountain then see the sign and do a u turn and come back to onchan. So they just turned it around and fitted another one closer to the junction.  

Thanks for that - so my suspicious were correct - the DOI does move in mysterious ways which are inscrutable to us mere mortals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Inscrutable to our politicians too....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BallaDoc said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52114&headline=Roads closed due to ice&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

If you travel over the mountain road, has anyone noticed that the electronic road sign warning of ice on the outskirts of Douglas appears to be pointing the wrong way?  Leaving Ramsey, you see a sign warning of ice as you start the climb up the mountain, you do indeed discover ice at the top of the mountain, and then just as you are entering the outskirts of Douglas, there is a second sign warning you about the ice (which you have already seen) but facing the traffic coming down from the mountain.  There is no corresponding sign warning traffic about to go up the mountain about the ice.

Now, I say the sign appears to be pointing the wrong way, because I'm sure this is just me missing something obvious, and not incompetence by the DOI.  But I can't for the life of me think what the purpose of it is.

Ahh the annual ice sign thread. A sure sign that Christmas is approaching

• Like 1

The most pointless installation is that radar activated, solar powered ‘ice’ sign on the mountain mile. I’ve seen it come on when it’s 7or 8 degrees.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The most pointless installation is that radar activated, solar powered ‘ice’ sign on the mountain mile. I’ve seen it come on when it’s 7or 8 degrees.

I'd argue that Derek on the most pointless scale, the most pointless installation in my opinion is the large building on Prospect Hill !

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The sign by the Liverpool Arms telling you the mountain road is closed, must be a close second!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s pretty blinding when it’s dark too. And what the hell is the point of it being where it is? You’ve already travelled 90% of the way over the mountain when it warns you of ice. Same with the one in the other direction just before Kate’s Cottage. I’m surprised nobody’s taken a Stihl saw to them. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Terminal said:

It’s pretty blinding when it’s dark too. And what the hell is the point of it being where it is? You’ve already travelled 90% of the way over the mountain when it warns you of ice. Same with the one in the other direction just before Kate’s Cottage. I’m surprised nobody’s taken a Stihl saw to them. 

You may be turning off at Brandywell or Tholty, in which case you may need the extra earring. No ?

• Like 1

It’s up there with the people counter on Douglas prom. Utterly utterly pointless, a waste of public money, an installation without any clear justification.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You may be turning off at Brandywell or Tholty, in which case you may need the extra earring. No ?

Gipo's?  In either case you would see neither.

The "Speed Camera" at Ballaugh Bridge. The one somebody gave a Soweto necklace to when it was first erected. What does it actually do?

I heard that it wasn't actually a, 'speed', camera but was installed to moniter the junction originally. I also heard that there was a bit of a fuss because the land it is built on doesn't actually belong to the gov.

Don't know if there is any truth in it!

39 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I heard that it wasn't actually a, 'speed', camera but was installed to moniter the junction originally. I also heard that there was a bit of a fuss because the land it is built on doesn't actually belong to the gov.

Don't know if there is any truth in it!

It was originally installed because young bucks like me were in competition to see who could get the most "air" back in the day:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1