Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
BallaDoc

Roads closed due to ice

But does it now actually function? Or is it just an empty threat personified as a rusty metal box on a rusting pole?

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But does it now actually function? Or is it just an empty threat personified as a rusty metal box on a rusting pole?

I doubt it as the DOI don't actually maintain anything, probably still got the original box brownie in it too.

• Haha 1

Costain's then....

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Costain's then....

To be honest I doubt it was ever functional and was more about the placebo effect, it appeared shortly after one of our crew landed on the bonnet of a car that had pulled out of Ballaugh Glen!

9 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It’s up there with the people counter on Douglas prom. Utterly utterly pointless, a waste of public money, an installation without any clear justification.

But it looked so pretty in the catalogue! 

If you don't give the DoI their new toys they'll only have a tantrum and go and dig up a random road somewhere.

I once lived in Hadfield (Derbys) which apart from being the location for League of Gentlemen is also at the civilised end of the Snake and Woodhead passes to Yorkshire. It may be a novel idea here, but I don't think either road was ever closed due to inclement weather (unless the snowdrifts were huge). They simply cleared and gritted them.

I noticed the cops getting a bit bolshie about it last week 'if anyone else ends up in a field with their car on its roof, we'll close the Mountain Road' kind of thing. I'm all for road safety, but adequate warnings and mechanical efforts to mitigate weather should be enough - anything going wrong beyond that should be classed as natural selection.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I once lived in Hadfield (Derbys) which apart from being the location for League of Gentlemen is also at the civilised end of the Snake and Woodhead passes to Yorkshire. It may be a novel idea here, but I don't think either road was ever closed due to inclement weather (unless the snowdrifts were huge). They simply cleared and gritted them.

I noticed the cops getting a bit bolshie about it last week 'if anyone else ends up in a field with their car on its roof, we'll close the Mountain Road' kind of thing. I'm all for road safety, but adequate warnings and mechanical efforts to mitigate weather should be enough - anything going wrong beyond that should be classed as natural selection.

all about right,  but snow ploughs and gritters cost money and there's them pensions to pay.

9 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

So presumably if the Stumobile careers off the road, we're just to leave you there screaming until the crows come to peck your eye out and finish you off.  Wouldn't want to interfere with natural selection[1], would we?  :P

[1]  Technically this would only apply if you were still intending to breed some more.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

So presumably if the Stumobile careers off the road, we're just to leave you there screaming until the crows come to peck your eye out and finish you off.  Wouldn't want to interfere with natural selection[1], would we?  :P

[1]  Technically this would only apply if you were still intending to breed some more.

It would be a bit harsh to just leave stu there until the crows got him. Far more humane to tune his car stereo to manx radio for a full 52 hours until they take his eyeballs. 

• Haha 1

Youse guys crack me up. No really, I'm a broken man...

But yes, feel free to leave me to the crows or the Merc's splendid roll bar, although I don't expect to crash because I missed that ice makes the roads slippery. To clarify, based on previous experience I don't scream, I grunt.  And there's no chance of motorcycling until at least May.

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, Non-Believer said:

It was installed during the reign of Bruce Hannah. I forget exactly how it worked, but it was some sort of traffic flow monitor that was installed at a place I was never aware there was a problem, to test the tech for busier places. 

Someome tried to set fire to it. I suspect it hasn’t pulled in any data for many years -if it ever did, in fact,

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It was installed during the reign of Bruce Hannah. I forget exactly how it worked, but it was some sort of traffic flow monitor that was installed at a place I was never aware there was a problem, to test the tech for busier places. 

Someome tried to set fire to it. I suspect it hasn’t pulled in any data for many years -if it ever did, in fact,

Oh good. So we could take it down thus relieving the village of a blight and get some money back for the taxpayers from Costain's then. Win win.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Bruce Hannay :whistling:

PS, loads of threads on here about it, 2006 onwards, I think. Can’t link for some reason.

Edited by dilligaf