Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Grounds Keeper Willy

Huge IOMG pension contribution short fall

5 hours ago, Manxberry said:

Out of curiosity, if you know someone who got a job using false information on their CV, who do you report that too? 

One of my particular bugbears.

I've worked had for my CV and it really grates when chancers lie and bullshit on theirs. Employers are often too lazy to do the necessary due diligence so some people are happy to take a punt on not being pulled up. 

Does the island actually need so much bloat? 

Does the pensions have to be so grossly over the top until they die? I'd say that for the first year or two, then they're entitled to a top pension and then after that, reduce them all to a figure which is equal to everyone else. 

Question - If a person has a pension, can they be re-employed and have a pension and wage at the same time and how does that affect their tax? 

I know some of the employment agencies actually advertise that they use investigators to check qualifications. 

I recently had to supply all my qualification certificates for a job and these were then double checked by https://www.expol.co.uk/

Of course this is the private sector, I don't know if the Govt also undertakes such diligence. 

48 minutes ago, manxy said:

Does the island actually need so much bloat? 

Does the pensions have to be so grossly over the top until they die? I'd say that for the first year or two, then they're entitled to a top pension and then after that, reduce them all to a figure which is equal to everyone else. 

Question - If a person has a pension, can they be re-employed and have a pension and wage at the same time and how does that affect their tax? 

Yes, I know of a recently retired gov employee who is drawing his pension and has gone straight back into two more gov jobs for full on greed mode!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Chris Thomas says it is, and there’s plenty of money so don’t worry.

Mr Thomas is an accountant by profession (outside of Tynwald) so one would hope that his opinion is credible in such matters.

If he is proved wrong then both his political and professional credibilities are in tatters.

16 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Mr Thomas is an accountant by profession (outside of Tynwald) so one would hope that his opinion is credible in such matters.

If he is proved wrong then both his political and professional credibilities are in tatters.

Hardly,  we will not know for another 30 or 40 years. 

18 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Is he an accountant?

38 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Doesn't mention being an accountant on his bio

He has got a stificate in Manx Studies

30 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Hardly,  we will not know for another 30 or 40 years. 

It will be a lot sooner than that!

• Thanks 1

Is that a different person from 'fast & loose' Eddie?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I know some of the employment agencies actually advertise that they use investigators to check qualifications. 

I recently had to supply all my qualification certificates for a job and these were then double checked by https://www.expol.co.uk/

Of course this is the private sector, I don't know if the Govt also undertakes such diligence. 

There have been some high profile sackings for deception in the IOM and one big case in the UK the other week where it was claimed a man lied about a degree to obtain financial advantage. Government checks have got better but if you recall they’ve even had a hospital consultant who was retrospectively found to be on an Interpol list for fraud. 

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/nhs-boss-lied-about-degree-peter-knight/

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I don’t think he is.