Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

Staffing struggles caused delays in tax division

Manx Radio: Staffing struggles caused delays in tax division

Over the past 2 or 3 years I have noticed a huge difference in how personal tax matters are dealt with.

There seems to be an inordinate hard drive into investigating low tax earners, especially those below the tax threshhold. I fully agree that any avoidance of tax should be looked at, no matter how small, but surely there is a limit? It seems the pressure is off the big boys and huge efforts are being made to squeeze the low earners and self-employed as much as possible.

Since before his election to Chief Minister I have  listened to Howard Quayle and his thoughts on people not paying the tax they might be due and it is the relatively small man he is looking at. Again, that is fair enough, but it seems that the regime is putting all its efforts into scraping up the crumbs (ok maybe slices of cake) rather than going for the full hit black forest gateaux of the tax avoidance after dinner banquet.

• Thanks 1

Yup. I was put under special investigation - as a low earner - for the princely sum of £26.40

It surely cost many times this to investigate minor, unproven issues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Yup. I was put under special investigation - as a low earner - for the princely sum of £26.40

It surely cost many times this to investigate minor, unproven issues

You should have followed your namesake's move and refused to publish your tax returns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They made me pay tax on income I had no received - how fair is that?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I always wondered about the logic of paying a £0.42 tax bill. Surely it costs them more than that to process it? 

It’s the civil services way of saying we’re in control or I’m in charge, and you do as I say! Sadly the IOMPS seem to attract quarter wits and half wits or people incapable of using initiative. This is coupled with the fact that IOMG is scratching around for whatever it can get. However it’s not the Tax Division which can’t get staff ....

Surely if they are genuinely short staffed they could parachute in some of the other 8/9 thousand odd sloshing around in other departments with little or nothing to do all day!

They are instructed to try to maximize the amount of tax they can get and to minimize the amount given back by way of rebate. That means that even if their staff notice that a person is owed a rebate on previous years, the policy is that they would not go and rebate it and would leave the onus on the taxpayer to figure out they've been shortchanged. The majority of tax is targeted at the poor and low income earners. Most taxation is just theft to keep the civil servants' own salaries and pensions paid. It's a racket.

19 minutes ago, timetraveler said:

They are instructed to try to maximize the amount of tax they can get and to minimize the amount given back by way of rebate. That means that even if their staff notice that a person is owed a rebate on previous years, the policy is that they would not go and rebate it and would leave the onus on the taxpayer to figure out they've been shortchanged. The majority of tax is targeted at the poor and low income earners. Most taxation is just theft to keep the civil servants' own salaries and pensions paid. It's a racket.

Absolute bullshit. Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that ? You really are a waste of bandwidth.

49 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Absolute bullshit. Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that ? You really are a waste of bandwidth.

I don't care if anybody believes it or not. It's the truth.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, timetraveler said:

I don't care if anybody believes it or not. It's the truth.

Yup.

There is a Santa

The cheque is in the post

I won’t c...............

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

That explains a lot. I had to chase them last week as I was beginning to think O had missed a notice. And I owe them quite a bit!

what happens is you get a small rebate one month, and a much larger bill 2 months later all for the same tax year,  well i did anyway, and when i went in to ask about it they couldn't explain why it had happened. 

16 hours ago, timetraveler said:

I think this is wrong.

You can argue about the justification for the level and nature  of tax but that is a political decision.

In my experience the Income Tax Division try to be fair and helpful and their machinery is set up to produce automatic rebates where appropriate.

• Like 3