Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
timetraveler

Douglas Council to clamp down on mass bird feeding

7 minutes ago, timetraveler said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52025

I was just reading this and got to the Comments section. What did "Eric" post? It looks like it got removed by the website, but the other people's replies are still there.

Can you not go back in time a bit and read it ? Waster. 

8 minutes ago, timetraveler said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52025

I was just reading this and got to the Comments section. What did "Eric" post? It looks like it got removed by the website, but the other people's replies are still there.

He was spamming the site with some voodoo story to woo a wayward wife back.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, finlo said:

He was spamming the site with some voodoo story to woo a wayward wife back.

Please, more details. This sounds like the most interesting news of the week and the newspapers ironically went and deleted it.

• Haha 1

About time. This will hopefully put weightwatchers out of business and ease passage through the Douglas Tesco aisles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Helen Callow still casts shadow - ties in with latest ODC bullying claims. Plus ça change.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

Helen Callow still casts shadow - ties in with latest ODC bullying claims. Plus ça change.

Quite.  For the Corpy the ideal by-law is obviously one where you get prosecuted because of who you are rather than what you've done.  Others may be less enthusiastic about their enforcers deciding whether your bird table is a crime or not on arbitrary grounds.  And as usual they can't get their story straight, first stating that it was only a change in enforcement and then admitting it needed legal changes.

image.png.d2c94b4fe7eb00dd58aa955ae1096df3.png

So the corpy would actively harm a red listed species and loads of other birds with this? Seems a bit dumb. Why not do the things others with seemingly more bird knowledge suggest? Feeding areas, etc. Also, looking at the very specific areas listed in the initial by-law, is it safe to assume this was brought in to get particular individuals in those places to stop feeding them? Sure reads like it.

I think perhaps you've got to look at historical numbers of birds. When we're told that numbers are currently falling, were the previous levels artificially high for a period?

The Point of Ayre landfill site, pre-incinerator, sustained thousands of gulls - literally thousands. I made many a trip out there and the numbers never ceased to amaze me. I don't doubt that The Raggatt had similar.

Did gull numbers increase because of the availability of food at these facilities? When the PoA site closed, many gulls seemed to migrate to the Mountain Road and make a living off roadkill carrion. But if the pickings are scarcer, are their numbers now naturally dropping back to pre-landfill levels which are sustainable? Nature does naturally govern its own numbers.

Of course, one can't discount the damage done to their natural feeding grounds by our over-fishing of the Irish Sea either, clearly that too will influence their numbers.

Whether "artificially" feeding them in the midst of our population centres is an acceptable or effective solution or substitute is open to question.

Most of the POA gulls were commuters from southern Scotland, there was a worry at the time that they could of introduced foot and mouth disease.

We are a small island surrounded by the sea, I would expect Seagulls to be around the place. I can't see them as a nuisance, no matter how hard I try, they are part of our environment and there are fewer now than ever! 

• Like 1