Review looks for ways to "do better" with elections process

gettafa

Are you helping democracy by not voting? Being compulsory it might encourage people to take more interest in who and what they're voting for. I get how you feel, like many other potential voters, that however you vote makes no difference to the outcome but it would be a start.

• Like 3

What choices are we realistically being given to vote for? Doorstep edicts are fine and plentiful. Every four-odd years. What change do we see in the way the Island is governed following their issue? Apart from the invariable rises in taxation to cover up cock up after cock up and policy failure after policy failure?

The subsequent £10k Departmental uplifts can squash policy opposition, regardless of how unpopular. Popular opinion is ignored and disregarded.

One can understand why people question the worth of voting.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, joebean said:

Why would compulsory voting help democracy? I, for one, will not be voting. There is absolutely no merit in dignifying a system where you put a cross against a name on a voting slip when you don't know what the shape of any Government will be, who will lead it or what policies will be adopted or supported, particularly by your preferred candidate. Individual manifestos are worthless. My vote is a valuable commodity and I will not be giving it away to anyone on the basis of precisely nothing guaranteed in return. If a fine was involved I would merely spoil the paper. Pointless exercise whatever way you look at it.

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Are you helping democracy by not voting? Being compulsory it might encourage people to take more interest in who and what they're voting for. I get how you feel, like many other potential voters, that however you vote makes no difference to the outcome but it would be a start.

I see both sides of this argument, our voting system leaves a lot to be desired as it almost ensures that an incumbent will be returned by the two vote fiasco. That alone is a reason not to bother as you will willingly vote for the person you want to see installed, but then you are tempted to stick another X next to a name, which will probably be one of the known candidates. 

I've lost faith in Manx politics, nothing will ever change, they had a huge opportunity and the old guard scuppered it. Best to just make life difficult for the lot of them because they are seat warmers, obsessed with their own importance! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s been compulsory to vote in Australia (as it is in about 30 countries around the world) since 1924. Their arguments in favour of this are that the results are legitimized to a greater degree by the higher turnout, and that both genders and all ages and social classes are thus represented in the outcome. It is also theorized that by having to vote, people value that vote more and consequently consider politics and the candidates on offer more closely before casting the vote. To what extend that theory has been proven, or disproven, I don’t know.

I can see some merit in all that but I guess that in a democracy people should be permitted to exercise the choice not to participate in democracy! And voting is a right; should the state enforce rights? Probably not.

On a much more grass roots and basic level, I often vote simply to legitimize my subsequent complaints about the piss-poor performance of the Keys!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why should anyone be compelled to vote with the threat of a fine? I have two incumbents one, of which I voted for. This one turned out to be a complete drip who has, no doubt, tried his best but has done nothing that would either make a real difference or could be classed as something that anybody else couldn't do. My one experience of him directly convinced me he was feeble. The other is the Treasury Minister. No huge issues with him; he is what you would expect in our System and he will be re-elected whatever I do.  If I was compelled to vote, I would be voting for an unknown and on the basis of what? Because he wasn't yet a proven drip or Alf Cannan? No, I will not grace the poll booth or squander a vote for the sake of it. Politics on the Isle of Man would have to become more intelligent, more policy-led and more honest for me to decide differently. Democracy is something that exists outside of Government. There is much that can be done outside of the realms of Tynwald to campaign and influence, if that is what you wish to do.

7 minutes ago, joebean said:

Why should anyone be compelled to vote with the threat of a fine? I have two incumbents one, of which I voted for. This one turned out to be a complete drip who has, no doubt, tried his best but has done nothing that would either make a real difference or could be classed as something that anybody else couldn't do. My one experience of him directly convinced me he was feeble. The other is the Treasury Minister. No huge issues with him; he is what you would expect in our System and he will be re-elected whatever I do.  If I was compelled to vote, I would be voting for an unknown and on the basis of what? Because he wasn't yet a proven drip or Alf Cannan? No, I will not grace the poll booth or squander a vote for the sake of it. Politics on the Isle of Man would have to become more intelligent, more policy-led and more honest for me to decide differently. Democracy is something that exists outside of Government. There is much that can be done outside of the realms of Tynwald to campaign and influence, if that is what you wish to do.

Yes CT sounded quite promising at first!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Yes CT sounded quite promising at first!

No, I am not talking about him, but he is a perfect example of the dishonesty and pointlessness of Government and by association, I suppose, of voting. If that man was one of my MHKs, I would probably vote on a "anyone but" mission. But there again, I would have no idea what I would actually be voting FOR.

21 hours ago, quilp said:

Compulsory voting, name on the ballot sheet, fines for non-compliance. 

Never. Compulsory voting only serves to give false endorsement and false credibility to politicians who would otherwise have neither credibility nor public endorsement. Not voting or submitting a spoilt ballot are currently the only ways a member of the electorate can say "none of the above". 

Sadly, the last time I voted it was on the basis of choosing the least worst candidates, in order to attempt to keep the worst out (even more sadly, he still got elected).

• Like 3

On 11/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, Stu Peters said:

Good to see that IOMG is prioritising its resources.

I'd hate them to concentrate on poverty, overstaffing, cronyism, the public sector black hole, potholes and inept road 'improvements', flooding mitigation, ferry prices and policies, and a failed health system.

At least we'll not be having MHK's serving jail sentences any more, and that's probably always been a huge problem.

Careful there Stu...you're already only 2 hours away from the Manx Radio 3am slot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our politicos and particularly the Chief minister are so poor that a five year term with them in office is far too long, and allows their incompetence to flourish. It is not ideal but a shorter term between elections should be considered so that the public would feel more empowered to remove some of these morons from office !

I have voted in every election for the past 25yrs and tried to select candidates who were not the worst ! until we can attract a higher calibre of candidate we will have to put up with the paucity of intellect or indeed moral judgement as exercised by the current shower of xxxxx!

What little cash we have now is not being targeted for the benefit of the populace but for the benefit of empires built with Government by people who would be unemployable in any real walk of life !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3