Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
craggy_steve

Steam-Packet New Ferry survey

Recommended Posts

On 6/17/2020 at 11:10 AM, Donald Trumps said:

ELECTRIC FERRY ON THE HORIZON

Stena Group has released another view of the ground-breaking ELEKTRA concept.


When ready, by 2030 she will likely be the world largest international 100% electric Ropax.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, water and nature

The price of electricity here they’ll be charging it up in Liverpool! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us hope by 2030 the island has made some progress on renewables

Hydrogen powered ships may be a real alternative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mr Newbie said:

The price of electricity here they’ll be charging it up in Liverpool! 

It only has a 50 mile range. It’ll never get to Liverpool

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It only has a 50 mile range. It’ll never get to Liverpool

Based on track record it'll either involve a couple of big diesel generators on board or a long mains lead if Longworth is involved in any decisions. 

BTW - What DID happen to the Bench Busses in the end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have thought some boffins somewhere would have come up with a green method of harnessing wind power to propel ships in this day and age. What gave me the idea was reminiscing about unfurling my coat above my head as a lad. Certainly used to get me home a bit quicker from jurby school than conventional travel, the only downfall was that it used to make me a bit slower getting there in the morning. They are welcome to use my method though, no probs. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps a reduction in fares for those willing to stand on the top deck with their coats unfurled, something like that, I dont know. I'm just an ideas man, dont really do small details, that's what I pay others for.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You couldn't possibly be thinking of sails could you? It's a novel idea, but it could just work.

image.jpeg.84749b49ca990791b83b091ad36b0501.jpeg

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been a few experiments with cylindrical, solid sails and also automatic sails, no ropes and things. I believe there are a number of wind powered ships about without conventional sails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing the coat thing at the top of Cronk Sumark is pretty entertaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Any of these using coats doc? I dont actually mind but it would be nice to have been asked beforehand.

yes, think they are called, 'Flasher's Ferries'!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I'd have thought some boffins somewhere would have come up with a green method of harnessing wind power to propel ships in this day and age. What gave me the idea was reminiscing about unfurling my coat above my head as a lad. Certainly used to get me home a bit quicker from jurby school than conventional travel, the only downfall was that it used to make me a bit slower getting there in the morning. They are welcome to use my method though, no probs. 

Skysails – Plus – Top 10 Green Ship Designs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

There have been a few experiments with cylindrical, solid sails and also automatic sails, no ropes and things. I believe there are a number of wind powered ships about without conventional sails.

German ship fights climate change with high-tech kite | Reuters.com

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...