Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Donald Trumps

Election of Chief Minister

6 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Interesting. I have never heard that one about integrating with the UK and having MPs. All I recall is a series of small wars and rearguard actions where we tried to give colonies their  independence and leave them initially stable after putting down the unwanted local element by force providing our chosen man got the top job...And occasionally going back as in Malaysia and Sierra Leone to maintain stability and/or chase the bad guys away (Again)...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Maltese_United_Kingdom_integration_referendum

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, just like Scotland, Northern Ireland and, to an increasing extent, Wales. Manx Law would continue in force until it was replaced by new Law from Westminster or Tynwald. Competencies would be agreed.

Would that apply if it was just a local authority? 

To be honest I'm not sure what we'd gain in any arrangements from having an MP. The legal system would carry on regardless, so you'd still need local legislators. There would be a long transition period for integration of health and schools etc. 

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

Would that apply if it was just a local authority? 

To be honest I'm not sure what we'd gain in any arrangements from having an MP. The legal system would carry on regardless, so you'd still need local legislators. There would be a long transition period for integration of health and schools etc. 

Agree with Declan and I only see an additional add on pension

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Mind you in those days we had a big presence in Malta by way of the naval base and dockyards. As these contracted and then closed so Malta drifted away and under PM Dom Mintoff became very close to Gaddafi in Libya.

Malta and England anyway were once very close with many Brits living there and likewise Maltese in London. Bit like IOM and Across in a way.

I suppose it could be done in the case of Mann but whereas the UK had the huge naval base on Malta by way of incentive what would it gain from the IOM?

40 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

There is nothing to take back. The IOM has never been "theirs" to take back as such. It has always had the outsider status although the sovereignty was purchased and progressively paid for. ie Act of Revestment etc.

In more modern times even Crown land was placed in the hands of IOM Govt and additionally the Crown Estate is now outside of Island jurisdiction. The Manx Law Reports in volume one refer to the legalities and regalities and in at least one reported precedent state that the IOM is not part of the realm.

Labour MPs used the threaten to take the IOM back into the UK only to be told that it has never been within the UK.

Much of what you say is constitutionally correct, Bazza, but I would contend that the relationship is far less adversarial than you suggest, and that very much is still cobbled together by the UK and IOM and other CDs behind closed doors in the wider British mutual interest within the world. For example, the taxation and corporate framework in the offshores suits the City of London and the rich and powerful very nicely. It's useful to have pliant jurisdictions ostensibly outside your own state with ambiguous constitutional status. "Nothing to do with us, Guv. It's those terrible tax havens. What can we do?"

I don't see any of it changing. There will be hard times as there have been before, but if push comes to shove the Island will not go bankrupt and nor will it be incorporated into the UK. It is in nobody's interest. Ways will be found, again behind closed doors. "Advice" will be requested. "Suggestions" will be made. "Agreements" will be reached, and things will carry on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

The problem is that we would just end up electing a popular idiot with no clue.

We did that last time :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Can you name one [US President] in recent times that has done anything much? Not really. It all just happens around them and despite them. Trump seems to have the economy going for him, and that counts for a lot.

Even the good economy was inherited from Obama, though he's now mainly trying to derail it with massive tax cuts for his backers (not the first Republican to do so).  The best thing you can say about him is that he has been unwilling to invade random countries, but even then he's proved only too willing to do whatever a random dictator asked him to (as with the Kurds).  But America's long-term problems remain untouched - for example infrastructure.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even the good economy was inherited from Obama, though he's now mainly trying to derail it with massive tax cuts for his backers (not the first Republican to do so).  The best thing you can say about him is that he has been unwilling to invade random countries, but even then he's proved only too willing to do whatever a random dictator asked him to (as with the Kurds).  But America's long-term problems remain untouched - for example infrastructure.

It's largely happenstance. Obama rode the cycle from downturn to upturn with the economy, and on foreign policy he was a complete vacuum. All leaders are prisoners of the cards they are dealt to some extent, then you play them either well or badly. Theresa May was a prime example of someone coming to power with the most unappealing situation and then proceeding to make it even worse.

55 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We did that last time :lol:

We didn't, they did

I'm happy to support any revision to the CM election process, including through the medium of expressive dance, if it can guarantee that we don't get another whopper - in all senses - like Quayle, foisted on us again.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

We didn't, they did

Well....we did put him in there, thus enabling his selection for post by various devious and duplicitous means...

2 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Does the CM have to be born on the island, surely we couldn't have a comeover as CM?

The next CM will be a comeover - Alex Allinson; born Londaaaaahhhnn.

15 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

It will be him or Cannan for sure I’d say. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I don’t know.

I am not sure he enjoys the support he had. 

But its still a good way off.