Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Donald Trumps

Election of Chief Minister

7 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It will be him or Cannan for sure I’d say. 

Depends how much momentum the 'Anyone But Cannan' camp can attain

4 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I don’t know.

I am not sure he enjoys the support he had. 

But its still a good way off.

A once likeable candidate for the role but not nowadays showing a great deal of enthusiasm for Manx culture, as such

The next CM will have to demonstrate - certainly to younger voters - an enthusiasm to implement the Curran Report & the 'greening' of government institutions

8 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

But its still a good way off.

Weighing in at 20 stone it might not be that far off.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, MrPB said:
47 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The next CM will be a comeover - Alex Allinson; born Londaaaaahhhnn.

It will be him or Cannan for sure I’d say. 

As it happens Cannan was born in Reading (though obviously into a Manx family).  Information that (like so much about so many of them) has disappeared from his Tynwald page.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred said:

The next CM will be a comeover - Alex Allinson; born Londaaaaahhhnn.

God please no.

There is only thing worse than a cockney, that's two of them.

I think I have seen him in his Pearly Kings suit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure where all this criticism comes from..Have we never had it so good..Some of you posters make me physically ill ..I can remember when I spent half my take home on rent and the Island was shite..Nowadays you can walk into any job and if you are female pop one out and get a Council House and £25k a year benefits with all the add ons and in a brand new house.Be careful what you wish for..

15 minutes ago, SJR said:

Be careful what you wish for..

I wish you had not posted that crap.............

No, no lightning strikes yet!!!

21 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Because the home rule thing is working really well isn’t it...?

i don’t think for a moment that the IOM being absorbed into the UK is a panacea for everything, but it would deal with a number of key issues. Transport and infrastructure, the opening up of competitive markets for utilities and telecoms are just a few that come to mind.

would we lose that much? Cornwall, the lakes, the Hebrides all hang on to their identity and traditions. 

Not a firm view, just some points for discussion. 

Is that the plan? deliberately bankrupt it so we'll want to join? - Isn't the U.K. currently trying to divorce itself from it's unwanted, controlling big brother? - so we should just rush in and do the thing they are trying to get out of?

Iom would lose any advantage if it was absorbed into the uk , would have no say in who gets dumped here like Bute, Labour have hinted repeatedly in recent years what would happen if in power- which would no doubt be much worse if we have no say in our own destiny.

Just getting rid of the brotherhood would solve a lot of problems with this place.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I'm happy to support any revision to the CM election process, including through the medium of expressive dance, if it can guarantee that we don't get another whopper - in all senses - like Quayle, foisted on us again.

Whoever the lodge gives us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Realistically though even if we could vote for the next CM what choices would we have? It seems inevitable that he/she will come from the current crop of miscreants. That thought on its own is enough to cause deep depression! 

• Like 2

Better to try & define what objectives should go into the Programme For Government

5 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Better to try & define what objectives should go into the Programme For Government

It'll all be the same as before. No drastic changes and just hoping they can carry on as before. The public sector pension blackhole and collapsing health service may make that difficult for them. 

If politicians in the UK come in red, blue, yellow, and green - then the colour of politics on the Isle of Man is beige.