Liverpool FC..Has any team been so lucky ever.

SJR

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Klopp has a history of this sort of thing after a few seasons. 

Uses the same players all the time and asks them to run relentlessly every game. 

That said they've had injuries, with VVD out at the moment for example. 

There lies the problem. Key players get injured and nobody of the same/equal standard to slot in. Needs a couple more quality players in the squad

6 hours ago, woolley said:

Two things:

1. VVD has not been the same since returning from the previous injury. He was the foundation that the whole enterprise was built on.

2. Mane left and they are finding out how important he was.

1. Correct, he is notably slower, although I am unsure why that has affected his brain so much.

2. Liverpool fans knew exactly how important he was already, he didn't need to leave to show us that!

3. Gini Wijnaldum was never replaced and that has really told. This might be the most important of the lot.

There are lots of other little issues, all the off field stuff, the maximum sustained effort they displayed over those years when they were good - really really good - cannot be held for that long. It's that sportsman 'in the zone' thing, well this team was in the zone.

It isn't any more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

1. Correct, he is notably slower, although I am unsure why that has affected his brain so much.

2. Liverpool fans knew exactly how important he was already, he didn't need to leave to show us that!

3. Gini Wijnaldum was never replaced and that has really told. This might be the most important of the lot.

There are lots of other little issues, all the off field stuff, the maximum sustained effort they displayed over those years when they were good - really really good - cannot be held for that long. It's that sportsman 'in the zone' thing, well this team was in the zone.

It isn't any more.

All of the above. If Jurgen insists on playing this style then his squad needs to be better so that rotation shouldn't make much of a difference. Sadly Liverpool have been found wanting

On 1/16/2023 at 7:19 AM, TheTeapot said:

It isn't any more.

VVD has history for 'phoning it in when he thinks the standard is below him.

Having watched him for a few years prior to his move to England he was prone to switching off if he thought he could. 

Maybe now he's won it all at Liverpool he needs a new challenge. Or at least thinks he does.

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

He needs a rest.

Is he a snooker player by any chance......? 😳😴

Edited by Apple

On 1/19/2023 at 3:11 AM, Apple said:

Is he a snooker player by any chance......? 😳😴

Didn't they sign a couple of centre backs a few years ago and then never play them?  One was from PNE and I don't think he ever played for Liverpool.

I really think they have made some bad signings recently and in positions that they didn't need players in.

Do the Liverpool fans think Klopp will last many more seasons or has he taken the club as far as he can?

Unless the club is sold I don't see them having a player they can sell for big money (like Coutinho) which doesn't weaken the team but whose sale can fund a massive investment in new players.

I don't see a second PL title for a long time given the improvements at Arsenal and United.  City aren't going anywhere and it looks like Newcastle are only going to get better under Eddie Howe.

That potentially means seven clubs competing for the top four positions and being outside the Champions League has a major impact on potential signings.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Didn't they sign a couple of centre backs a few years ago and then never play them?  One was from PNE and I don't think he ever played for Liverpool.

I really think they have made some bad signings recently and in positions that they didn't need players in.

Do the Liverpool fans think Klopp will last many more seasons or has he taken the club as far as he can?

They signed Ben Davies from Preston North End for about £1m and Ozan Kabak on loan from Germany. Kabak played a bit, and at the end of his loan was not bought cos he wasn't good enough. Davies got injured to go with the other 5 initially and never had a look in. Went on loan to Sheff Utd the following season when players were back and was sold to Rangers for a profit.

What bad signings?? Seriously? Naby Keita has turned out to be a poor signing but that wasn't recently and everyone everywhere thought it was a good idea. They've bought some promising youngsters. Nunez is obviously going to be great. Gakpo was a surprise, he's obviously talented, but yeah ok that's not the position we urgently need to fix (Jota and Luiz are out long term though). You can't call it a bad signing after 3 games though. Some of the reluctance to sign a midfielder seems to be cos they're going all in for Bellingham in the summer, but so will everyone else, so its very risky. I can't think of any 'bad' signings.

This Liverpool fan would like Klopp to stay as long as he wants.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

They signed Ben Davies from Preston North End for about £1m and Ozan Kabak on loan from Germany. Kabak played a bit, and at the end of his loan was not bought cos he wasn't good enough. Davies got injured to go with the other 5 initially and never had a look in. Went on loan to Sheff Utd the following season when players were back and was sold to Rangers for a profit.

What bad signings?? Seriously? Naby Keita has turned out to be a poor signing but that wasn't recently and everyone everywhere thought it was a good idea. They've bought some promising youngsters. Nunez is obviously going to be great. Gakpo was a surprise, he's obviously talented, but yeah ok that's not the position we urgently need to fix (Jota and Luiz are out long term though). You can't call it a bad signing after 3 games though. Some of the reluctance to sign a midfielder seems to be cos they're going all in for Bellingham in the summer, but so will everyone else, so its very risky. I can't think of any 'bad' signings.

Well Kabak and Davies clearly weren't great signings.

Nunez isn't looking like a world beater yet.  Gakpo... well ok the jury is out but isn't looking convincing.

Arthur Melo has not worked out at all even as a loan signing. 

Luiz hasn't replaced Mane.  Jota might but has been injury prone.

Henderson, Milner, Salah and VVD are all getting older and appear to be struggling to keep up the press that Klopp demands and there is no squad depth to rotate.

Bellingham isn't going to sign for a club outside the Champions League and Liverpool don't look like they are going to qualify so that appears to be a very bad move.

As I said I cannot see a big change or investment until the club are sold.

12 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

So would this United fan.......he's taken it as far as he can. 

18 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Unless the club is sold I don't see them having a player they can sell for big money (like Coutinho) which doesn't weaken the team but whose sale can fund a massive investment in new players.

I don't see a second PL title for a long time given the improvements at Arsenal and United.  City aren't going anywhere and it looks like Newcastle are only going to get better under Eddie Howe.

That potentially means seven clubs competing for the top four positions and being outside the Champions League has a major impact on potential signings.

Only the plastic fans...

2 hours ago, woolley said:

It is reassuring to see them safely 10 points behind United and the world returned to its rightful order at last. 🙃

For that you're going to need a couple more trophies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_competitive_honours_won

OR many more points (https://www.myfootballfacts.com/england_footy/football-league/all-time_top_flight_points_table/ )

Or Liverpool to spend several seasons in the Championship (http://alltimeleaguetable.co.uk/ )

Edited by Declan
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1