Using 're' in a sentence

I know this isn't a big problem of the world today but I was looking at Hansard today and was surprised to see that the Proceedings question titles often have 're' in them.  Is this a very modern thing that has come from the world of corporate business minutes and work e-mails?  It just doesn't seem right to me at all.  I have a bit of a conservative take on what should and should not be in writing but 're' seems really out of place for something like Hansard.  It's not standard English when it is supposed to mean 'about' or 'in regard to'.  Am I being too fuddy-duddy about it?

re.PNG

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be so tough on yourself.

A sign of the times, I'm afraid. I myself react in horror when I see "ie" or "eg" used without the periods, as is apparently the modern fashion; but I'd still be typing "id est" out in full if it was

As long as it can be understood, who cares?

Posted Images

It's just 're' means 'in the matter of'. If someone uses it to means 'in regards to' or 'about' then it is just not correct. But why not use 'about' if that's what is meant? Besides, 're' isn't English so it doesn't make for instant intelligibility. 

As an aside, hats off to the person writing Hansard, as I doubt that's easy. 

I don’t think it’s the end of the world in emails and on social media. But it’s ugly and bureaucratic. And unnecessary

The Chief Minister’s tree planting pledge -action resulting. 

or even better, turn it into a sentence 

Action Resulting from The Chief Minister’s tree planting pledge. 

6 minutes ago, war baby said:

Sadly, this is simply another illustration of the fact that standards in written English are falling everywhere.

I blame the parents re the above.

I don’t. Officialdom has always had it bureaucratic way of writing. 

It’s no different from - “I refer to your letter of the 3rd inst” And other crap old people used to write when I left school. 

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

A sign of the times, I'm afraid. I myself react in horror when I see "ie" or "eg" used without the periods, as is apparently the modern fashion; but I'd still be typing "id est" out in full if it was up to me.

I myself. Jings. When correcting someone else’s grammar, it’s always better to first have your own (yourself’s) good grammar firmly in place. 

It used to get on my tits too LDV but then I realised that language has always evolved like this (even Manx! and to resist is to allow it to persist and so I made the decision just to roll with it all. I suggest you do too. Stop fighting it. Let it go. Find something else to get in your tits. 

And this from someone who still puts commas in when typing my address.

9 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

As long as it can be understood, who cares?

But that's the point, there are grammatical and syntax rules because they make things clear. Also we these people a lot of money, the bar should higher than barely understandable if you translate it into English. 

If you write sloppily and expect the reader to put it together, they might put it together in the wrongly. What if the Chief Minister's pledge had been on signing. "Chief minister's pledge re signing" or "Chief Minister's pledge resigning."

29 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I myself. Jings. When correcting someone else’s grammar, it’s always better to first have your own (yourself’s) good grammar firmly in place. 

I don't believe I actually corrected anyone's grammar, being all too well aware of Skitt's Law.

You don't approve of the reflexive pronoun in that context? Fair enough. Where do you stand on the Oxford comma?