Using 're' in a sentence

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

It used to get on my tits too LDV but then I realised that language has always evolved like this (even Manx! and to resist is to allow it to persist and so I made the decision just to roll with it all. I suggest you do too. Stop fighting it. Let it go. Find something else to get in your tits. 

And this from someone who still puts commas in when typing my address.

I'm OK with some aspects of language change but using 're' almost seems as if it is being used because it ought to be and that sort of thinking should be challenged, shouldn't it? Like people getting in the habit of trying to sound fancier by using 'prior to' instead of before or 'utilise'. I don't like the pretentiousness. I assume it is happening here. And, setting aside meaning, it isn't easier to read than alternatives, so why is it happening? But yes, if it is becoming increasingly common then I think at SOME POINT you have to give up. 

Commas in addresses? I thought that was a modern American thing!

I suppose one good thing with the Manx language not being a community language anymore is that it can't evolve anymore in such irritating ways. 

Anyway, much has been lifted off my tits by moaning. I do feel better. 

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't be so tough on yourself.

A sign of the times, I'm afraid. I myself react in horror when I see "ie" or "eg" used without the periods, as is apparently the modern fashion; but I'd still be typing "id est" out in full if it was

As long as it can be understood, who cares?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Sheldon said:

A sign of the times, I'm afraid. I myself react in horror when I see "ie" or "eg" used without the periods, as is apparently the modern fashion; but I'd still be typing "id est" out in full if it was up to me.

I agree. When I was at school I used to hate it when the teacher took my quill pen because I didn’t write ‘verily’ ‘thou’ and ‘forsooth’ frequently enough. 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Declan said:

But that's the point, there are grammatical and syntax rules because they make things clear. Also we these people a lot of money, the bar should higher than barely understandable if you translate it into English. 

If you write sloppily and expect the reader to put it together, they might put it together in the wrongly. What if the Chief Minister's pledge had been on signing. "Chief minister's pledge re signing" or "Chief Minister's pledge resigning."

But that's exactly my point, (which you misunderstood!). IF it is understood, there is no need for a pedantic, rather old fashioned approach to grammar. That is to say there are many anachronistic, unnecessary remnants from a bygone age.

25 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

I'm OK with some aspects of language change but using 're' almost seems as if it is being used because it ought to be and that sort of thinking should be challenged, shouldn't it? Like people getting in the habit of trying to sound fancier by using 'prior to' instead of before or 'utilise'. I don't like the pretentiousness. I assume it is happening here. And, setting aside meaning, it isn't easier to read than alternatives, so why is it happening? But yes, if it is becoming increasingly common then I think at SOME POINT you have to give up. 

Commas in addresses? I thought that was a modern American thing!

I suppose one good thing with the Manx language not being a community language anymore is that it can't evolve anymore in such irritating ways. 

Anyway, much has been lifted off my tits by moaning. I do feel better. 

You’re so right (on all counts) and of course there’s more to it than just acceptance. Your question is valid and embarrassingly I’ve just remembered it’s use in the 1970’s when I was being taught typing so it’s not that recent a thing at all. 

It was used in just about every business letter. “Re your letter dated 30th November...”, for example. It meant ‘regarding’. From memory (a bit dim now) I don’t think there was a full stop after it either. 

3 hours ago, Declan said:

But that's the point, there are grammatical and syntax rules because they make things clear. Also we these people a lot of money, the bar should higher than barely understandable if you translate it into English.

What?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, woolley said:

What?

There's a missing word "pay" in there. 

We pay MHK's and CS a lot of money, the least they can do is express themselves clearly. Rather than use tortuous English like in LDV's example. 

So for the lack of clarity. but in my first post. But at least I'm free. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ecobob said:

I myself. Jings.

Reflexive pronoun abuse bugs me. Usually in speech more than writing. You hear it from flight attendants, Apprentice candidates, junior management types... People seem to think it means they’re being more polite (“Please don’t hesitate to speak to myself if you have any concerns” for example)

Having said that, I think Sheldon’s use there (quoted by ecobob) is correct - to emphasise the subject pronoun - but probably unnecessary. 

I don’t mind ‘re’ - I use it myself in e-mail titles, usually followed by a colon. Not in sentences though. A simple ‘about’ would be better in the OP example. But being clear and understandable is the most important thing. 

Edited by wrighty
Referencing quotes correctly
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

It's just 're' means 'in the matter of'. If someone uses it to means 'in regards to' or 'about' then it is just not correct. But why not use 'about' if that's what is meant? Besides, 're' isn't English so it doesn't make for instant intelligibility. 

As an aside, hats off to the person writing Hansard, as I doubt that's easy. 

It's a bit of a shame that re-tard is now out of favour. 

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Reflexive pronoun abuse bugs me. Usually in speech more than writing. You hear it from flight attendants, Apprentice candidates, junior management types... People seem to think it means they’re being more polite (“Please don’t hesitate to speak to myself if you have any concerns” for example)

I don’t mind ‘re’ - I use it myself in e-mail titles, usually followed by a colon. Not in sentences though. A simple ‘about’ would be better in the OP example. But being clear and understandable is the most important thing. 

But it's perfectly correct when it is used as a title.

Yeah, I hear the reflexive pronoun everywhere.  People think that saying 'you' is too informal and abrupt.  It gets worse when that thinking changes 'me' to 'myself'. 

Your 'please don't hesitate...' sentence is everything wrong about writing.  I mean, it's such a dreadful cliché.  It's partly used just as a lazy filler and partly because people think you should use it. 

I think one of the worst business letters I've seen has at the end, 'Thanking you in anticipation of your consideration of this...'. 

17 hours ago, Sheldon said:

A sign of the times, I'm afraid. I myself react in horror when I see "ie" or "eg" used without the periods, as is apparently the modern fashion; but I'd still be typing "id est" out in full if it was up to me.

Full stops, surely?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Yes. It even extends sometimes to "...... and myself will be happy to assist." I wondered what it was in aid of. So they think they sound polite? Sounds thick to me.