Elections (local)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that is exactly where we are. Its a system that is bound to produce mediocrity. Pay enough to attract low achiever and not enough to attract high achievers; focus on personality and wish lists

New faces will be absorbed into and duly moulded by the system. As they ever have been. Those who are indigestible will be spat back out and put on the edge of the plate until the next election.

But nobody knows what the wishes of the electorate are, because there are 24 separate manifestos, with maybe a few common elements if the candidate is a member of Lib Vannin. upon election, a yea

5 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

If only we had a media where suggeted policies might be promoted and discussed

Could it be done on Facebook, or even ManxForums?

Manx Radio wouldn't touch it with a bargepole,& it's unlikely to sell newspapers

IoM newspapers have recently been seen to pursue FoI's, seeking answers to policy-making and the integrity of governance. It's a start.

Aren't facebookers already voicing their opinions?

TBH we need new faces...

But we'll get the same old again and they will be voted in again...

The main issue is the lack of party politics - you vote for a name/face/best liar rather than policies that should be able to be delivered.

UK Politics isn't the best but at least you know where you stand -

Rich - screwed by Labour -

Poor - screwed by Conservatives -

Middle - screwed by everyone 

• Like 2

New faces will be absorbed into and duly moulded by the system. As they ever have been.

Those who are indigestible will be spat back out and put on the edge of the plate until the next election. When the plate will be washed clean again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

New faces will be absorbed into and duly moulded by the system. As they ever have been.

Those who are indigestible will be spat back out and put on the edge of the plate until the next election. When the plate will be washed clean again.

Basically you would need 24 new like minded mhk’s all voted in together. Then there’s the problem of the faceless and unaccountable civil service. Once you have sorted that out, you may, just may have a chance of moving forward

• Like 2

The way I see it you need a Goverment that has the balls to reform the civil service. 20% reduction in pay, no bonuses, found to have been naughty with money/the truth.

Leads to summary dismissal and loss of pension. People held accountable for bad judgement. Incompetent people found and given the elbow no golden handshake.

Living in cloud cuckoo land I am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bell refused to address the PS system when he was in office. Even as the VAT reduction was realised. "Thousands would be thrown out of work" was the quote. The only tinkering was to convert the old Whitley Council to the new Public Service Commission offering lower terms largely to new-recruit bottom-feeders in 2015.

So we carry on as we are. Raiding the reserves annually and digging an ever deeper pensions hole. In the hope that a saviour will appear on the horizon it seems.

27 minutes ago, ed fournier said:

Random chosen politicians - it's gotta be worth a go.  The IOM even get's a mention in the second paragraph...

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/belgiums-experiment-in-a-new-kind-of-democracy

I think that is exactly where we are. Its a system that is bound to produce mediocrity. Pay enough to attract low achiever and not enough to attract high achievers; focus on personality and wish lists rather than policies; induct every Member into Government in order to stifle and/or disincentivise opposition; ask the first Chamber to hand-pick the second Chamber; add in a tame media with the main broadcaster in the pay of Government; have the Chief Minister elected by, and only by, elected politicians (after the election) to ensure the power of patronage. Its democracy Jim, but not as we know it. 

As I have said before, I would not give this nonsense the legitimacy afforded by a vote. I appreciate that that is a bad situation, but it is where we are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, joebean said:

I think that is exactly where we are. Its a system that is bound to produce mediocrity. Pay enough to attract low achiever and not enough to attract high achievers; focus on personality and wish lists rather than policies; induct every Member into Government in order to stifle and/or disincentivise opposition; ask the first Chamber to hand-pick the second Chamber; add in a tame media with the main broadcaster in the pay of Government; have the Chief Minister elected by, and only by, elected politicians (after the election) to ensure the power of patronage. Its democracy Jim, but not as we know it. 

As I have said before, I would not give this nonsense the legitimacy afforded by a vote. I appreciate that that is a bad situation, but it is where we are.

Difficult to refute any of that.

• Like 2

But going deeper, who are the true beneficiaries of this arrangement? And to whom is it a detriment?

It has survived so long and staunchly resisted so many attempts at meaningful change. Somebody likes it that way?

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But going deeper, who are the true beneficiaries of this arrangement? And to whom is it a detriment?

It has survived so long and staunchly resisted so many attempts at meaningful change. Somebody likes it that way?

Don't they just!

But there is no policy at the time of the vote. Votes are cast on the basis of personality and groundless promises that may never see the light of day. Nobody knows what policies they're voting for.

Policy comes later from a CM elected from within after potential opposition is quashed by patronage being assured with Departmental membership.

None of this will alter until there is seismic change to the political system and its traditions. And the purple and pageantry certainly won't be surrendered easily.

• Like 2