Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
ecobob

Home Broadband

I’m thinking it’s time I got dragged into the modern day world and get broadband installed at the house. I’ve got a phone line but it’s been disconnected for at least a year. 

Who’s offering a good package these days? I only want the minimum uploads and downloads. I’ll only be watching YouTube and a bit of Netflix now and then. 

I’ve taken a look and despite Sure saying they offer packages starting at £19 they’re website says the cheapest is £24. 

Any advice? Comments? Who to steer clear of? 

Cheers. 

Sure standard broadband is £24, they knock a fiver off if you have a mobile contract with them (used to be a tenner, boo!). Need a landline too, MT £19ish a month, sure might be a quid or so cheaper. Depending on your signal it might be worth looking at the 4g thingys, think you get 50gb a month for £25 which might suit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Sure standard broadband is £24, they knock a fiver off if you have a mobile contract with them (used to be a tenner, boo!). Need a landline too, MT £19ish a month, sure might be a quid or so cheaper. Depending on your signal it might be worth looking at the 4g thingys, think you get 50gb a month for £25 which might suit.

Is that the mifi option? ( I sound as if I know more than I actually do) I once used 3 with that set up. But not on the Island. 

WiManx have quoted me £27 for their broadband plus which is their entry package with £17.49 line rental.

Sure are offering the same package (16Mbps) for £24 with a line retail of £17.75. 

Manx Telecom are £27 for their entry package but they neglect to say what the speed is. Their line rental is £19.19. Fibre is cheaper at £42 a month as you don’t need a line rental. 

So price wise Sure is the cheapest but I don’t know what the service is like. 

Are they all the same? And is fibre available anywhere? I tried calling them to find out but almost died waiting for someone to answer. 

Yeah the mifi thing, although you can buy better routers.

I don't think customer service is very good at either sure or mt. But if everything works then it doesn't matter, I think I've had to contact Sure due to internet issues twice in 10 years. Personally I try not to give MT any of my money.

Fibre is the best, if you can get it get it, if anyone can be bothered selling it to you.

People have in the past spoken well of wi-manx, I don't know if that's still the case.

• Thanks 1

It was wi-manx I was with once before. In the days when Matty was there. 

I feel the same way about MT and I don’t know about sure. Maybe I’ll take the devil I know. For £3 a month extra it may be worth it. Cheers ATP. 

The only problem with using any of the other ISP's is that MT nerf the lines and then take 'upto' 5 working days to fault find and repair the problem. 

I'd go with Sure, they do a package, if you take a 2 year lease out they will give you 'something' - I wasn't really listening to the man but he gave me a code, Im sure it he meant I could give it to my friends if necessary - I'll whatsapp it to you x