new grant schme to aid Manx farmers

No, they've expanded the scheme to cover 'Wildlife Boxes' for Rats to nest in!!!

Actually, Countryside Care is part of the scheme that I would agree with but it would seem, tho I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the scheme, that is the possibility of too many loopholes and 'opportunities' exist.

It would probably be better if an expert led team went in to 'manage' the countryside bit rather than leave it to the farmers to put their own interpretation on best solution?

Who's going to tour and inspect to make sure that all the conditions and requirements for recipients are being met?

And just how does a 90% result from a public consultation, wanting to see SUSTAINABLE FOOD PRODUCTION translate into more grants for bat boxes and habitat initiatives?

ETA. Maybe this news was the reason why all the tractors were lit up last night. Celebrating :lol:

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

90% of respondents wanted our local farmers to be sustainably producing local stuff we can eat or drink.

So ostensibly Govt is now going to pay them (even) more to "manage" wildlife habitats.

WTF?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kopek said:

No, they've expanded the scheme to cover 'Wildlife Boxes' for Rats to nest in!!!

Actually, Countryside Care is part of the scheme that I would agree with but it would seem, tho I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the scheme, that is the possibility of too many loopholes and 'opportunities' exist.

It would probably be better if an expert led team went in to 'manage' the countryside bit rather than leave it to the farmers to put their own interpretation on best solution?

...........'on best financial solution for themselves?'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Methinks the divvying up is being organised for the dwindling reserves...amongst the expected suspects.

Similar to what I alluded to on the TT scoreboard - more money now for the farmers; but we can't afford to get the Fisheries boat out of the harbour and on patrol.

• Like 5

Time for subsidies to support objectives of the combating climate change report, which should form the basis of the next programme for government

& not a lot else

( be most interesting to see how other jurisdictions alter their subsidy of tech development to make innovation 'green')

The thing that really struck me about this was the abject lack of incentive to make food. Last time I looked, that was a farmers job. 

If we want custodians of the countryside, let lottery winners and rock stars buy up some farms and do the eco thing. If you are a farmer, you are there to make food, hopefully not making your farm look like a bombsite as a by product.

Government is increasingly losing its way. This place isn’t a film set, it’s 227 sq miles of land that has to pay its way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Government is increasingly losing its way. This place isn’t a film set, it’s 227 sq miles of land that has to pay its way.

It's not done that as long as it had its mouth on the VAT teat for 30+ years. And it forgot how. And still hasn't either twigged or started to learn again.

It's became form over function. Bullshit dreamland rules supreme. Look at any press release you care to name. And some of the exponents. But as long as there's unfettered access to reserves for the favoured few it'll continue.

Even if the rest of the population are reduced to penury in the name of it.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

I trust this time the scheme will be open to public scrutiny, not like the current one " err we can't say who gets what, we don't have those records"

If landowners wish to let their land return to nature all well and good, better than the manicured fields we have now, alternatively if they wish to produce food then if necessary they should be aided to do so !

We all know this a troughfest for some and a necessity for others, public scrutiny would ensure that public money is used in an open and transparent manner !

Yes I know I won't hold my breath !!

• Like 2

Does anyone know where we can see the actual details of the scheme, not just what Manx Radio says the details of the scheme are?  It might be more reasonable than we think (OK, maybe I'm being an optimist here).  I went to the Tynwald website and typed in "Agriculture and Fisheries Grant Scheme" but all I got was the 2016 one which is here:

http://www.tynwald.org.im/links/tls/SD/2016a/2016-SD-0210.pdf

and presumably this is now being replaced with the new one?

• Like 1