Bread price wars

What's going on with bread prices in this town? M&S is offering loafs for 65p and Tesco is throwing it out even cheaper. No way are they making money with this and it just seems odd. Is bread such a good loss leader? And won't that damage companies like RB who I understand are baking of some this cheap stuff, but then will probably see sales of their own brand, more expensive products decline? How can you possibly get quality bread at that price?

bread2.jpg

bread1.jpg

3 hours ago, Amadeus said:

And won't that damage companies like RB who I understand are baking of some this cheap stuff, but then will probably see sales of their own brand, more expensive products decline?

No, Ramsey Bakery will see their sales double because no matter how bad the bread they produce is it is a Manx company and that somehow makes the chewy stodge they call bread turn into  (probably by some local version of transubstantiation) the finest manner when it hits a manx persons lips.

22 hours ago, Amadeus said:

And won't that damage companies like RB who I understand are baking of some this cheap stuff,

If this is true I would be very surprised. I know Jim isn't around now, but he always disdained the cheap imports. He wouldn't produce below cost and this is obviously below cost.

Edited by woolley
20 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

No, Ramsey Bakery will see their sales double because no matter how bad the bread they produce is it is a Manx company and that somehow makes the chewy stodge they call bread turn into  (probably by some local version of transubstantiation) the finest manner when it hits a manx persons lips.

Boat.............morning