Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
THRILLER

Road Tax

Sorry, Stuart, I skimmed the thread. But what I meant was put it on another boat, rather than a train

Edited by Tugger

I suppose after the North Quay work is all done and it's pedestrianised and made all mediteranean looking (except for the people wearing overcoats for the northerly Manx weather as we're just a thousand miles too far north !), it will be time to run a railway track from the station down to the quay so that a man with a red flag can guide a freight train down to the harbour to collect containers (or bring the freight into the inner harbour instead :lol: ).

(or bring the freight into the inner harbour instead  :lol: ).

Only when the tide's in...

Don't remember seeing any pictures of a guy with a red flag at Ramsey or Peel harbours though.

We seem to be shifting from Stuarts crap idea of a freight rail network to ease congestion to a more general issue about volumes of traffic and alternative forms of transport (other than cars).

London has one answer to the traffic problems that was slated to start but is working well and that is the imposition of congestion charges. The other discussion worth merit is the using the Steam and MER to provide a viable alternative to get in and out of Douglas. (I understand there would need to be some investment in these rail service, but guess it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive) Now the two together may be a realistic solution.

(I await Stuart’s tirade)

We seem to be shifting from Stuarts crap idea of a freight rail network to ease congestion to a more general issue about volumes of traffic and alternative forms of transport (other than cars).

London has one answer to the traffic problems that was slated to start but is working well and that is the imposition of congestion charges. The other discussion worth merit is the using the Steam and MER to provide a viable alternative to get in and out of Douglas. (I understand there would need to be some investment in these rail service, but guess it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive) Now the two together may be a realistic solution.

(I await Stuart’s tirade)

Apart from your comments at the top, I'd actually agree with you about the imposition of congestion charges, and improved alternative forms of transport being methods to get people to abandon their cars.

Perhaps a reduction in car parking spaces for able bodied individuals and more disabled spaces(for those who really need it) to replace them, and a cut down in the amount of car parks is another answer. Unpopular as it would be, the only surefire way to guarantee reduction in car use, and use of an improved public transport is by providing innitiatives to discourage and make it harder for people to use cars (unless they really need to) coupled with a far improved public transport system. It actually seems that you and I might be closer to being on the same wavelength than we both realised.

London has one answer to the traffic problems that was slated to start but is working well and that is the imposition of congestion charges.

I recently spoke to some London cabbies about the congestion charge and their opinion was that it had worked initially, but that there were too many weaknesses in the system. Far from raising money, it was actually running at a deficit (hence the recent increase in the charges).

I still believe that more progress towards solving congestion in Douglas could be made by shifting more offices to other parts of the island. There are surely many government departments that don't have to be located in the capital - they are there purely for the convenience of the staff.

There are surely many government departments that don't have to be located in the capital - they are there purely for the convenience of the staff.

That works ok except for one thing.... When people have to travel between departments, which then means there are lots of cars still trying to get in and out of all the towns to get to the other departments - result busier roads, even during what would normally be quiet times when people are in their offices.

Can't be arsed reading the whole thread here but road tax stinks in terms of what we get for what we pay.

So it might be cheaper than the tax in the UK but the roads are worse to a much bigger ratio if you look at it like that.

As has probably been pointed out the only ones that seem to be maintained to a reasonable degree are ones used for the likes of the TT and the Southern100 which just isn't on. If they can do half decent work for one or two roads they can do it for most of them instead of adding patch after wonky patch all the time.

Not pleased about the cost either on account of the second car I run. Yes it's a dirty great uneconomical 3.5l range rover but basically I have it to tow my boat in & out of the water & down to the harbour & back from where it is. This year it cost me £170 tax and I've used it about 4 times so far this year.

So before any eco-dwads start moaning about me destroying the environment etc I'm not, because it barely gets used, but it means it's costing me at this rate about £42.50 a drive before I add insurance and overpriced petrol.

I'd love to get something cheaper to tax & run but I don't have the money so for now I guess I have to carry on being shafted on tax because it has a big engine even though it hardly gets used on our substandard roads anyway.

Grrr.

the second car I run
dirty great uneconomical 3.5l range rover
I have it to tow my boat in & out of the water
I'd love to get something cheaper to tax & run but I don't have the money

:blink:

I'm not a tree-hugger either (having two old cars with big, totally enviromentally unfriendly engines already), so if you want someone to pay the tax for your Landy and tow your boat for you once in a while, feel free to contact me :) Always wanted to drive one of the 3.5 rover V8's...

I still believe that more progress towards solving congestion in Douglas could be made by shifting more offices to other parts of the island.  There are surely many government departments that don't have to be located in the capital - they are there purely for the convenience of the staff.

I think the Jurby Prison thread shows how popular this idea would be.

I'm not a tree-hugger either (having two old cars with big, totally enviromentally unfriendly engines already), so if you want someone to pay the tax for your Landy and tow your boat for you once in a while, feel free to contact me  :)  Always wanted to drive one of the 3.5 rover V8's...

Kind of you to offer but I doubt you'd appreciate this example as it's really pretty rough! I can't even use it at the moment either as the water pump has gone and one of the rear brakes has knackered up.

More money. :(

I'm not a tree-hugger either (having two old cars with big, totally enviromentally unfriendly engines already), so if you want someone to pay the tax for your Landy and tow your boat for you once in a while, feel free to contact me  :)  Always wanted to drive one of the 3.5 rover V8's...

Kind of you to offer but I doubt you'd appreciate this example as it's really pretty rough! I can't even use it at the moment either as the water pump has gone and one of the rear brakes has knackered up.

More money. :(

Oh dear - know that from somewhere.. My little Merc just had a few parts replaced (nothing broke down - just years of wear on IOM roads..)

A friend of mine had a Defender a while ago and ordered parts from PaddockSpares - not sure if they do everything for the Landy as well, but they were cheap and worth mentioning...

A defender is a Landy! :)

Yes I've used them before and as soon as I sell my motocross bike I'll be getting some spares from them. Very cheap!

Cheers for the link though anyway. :)

A defender is a Landy! :)

Er..meant Range..

And as nice as both may be, they'll never beat the G-Model Merc! :rolleyes: