Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Patient centred

Nobles Hospital

Some interesting comments in Quayle’s answers today (not reached before the lunchtime cut off, so answered in writing not orally). A tiny fraction of the info. proffered to Baker (second answer) has previously been made public so far I’d say. I wonder why not.You’ll notice that honourable members have been receiving ‘regular updates’ - it’s a pity the honourable public haven’t. 

His dismissive response to Beecroft  (first answer) is interesting too. (Compare the answer prepared for her to that offered to Baker). Is he just sacking her off because he can’t stand her; because she’s a woman, or because he’d rather not dwell on the fact that Spicer left after 25 minutes? Anyway, judge all this stuff for yourselves.

TYNWALD January 2020
FOR ORAL ANSWER – Q26 (CONVERTED TO WRITTEN)
The Hon. Member for Douglas South (Miss Costain) to ask the Chief Minister –
What effect the resignation of the CEO of the transformation team has had on the transformation process; and if he will make a statement?

As Honourable Members will no doubt be aware, the Health and Care Transformation Director resigned from his post last month due to personal circumstances. I am grateful to the individual for his service and for supporting preparation for the Health and Care Transformation Programme to get up and running. Naturally, his departure has instigated consideration of how the Transformation Programme will be led going forward and Honourable Members can be assured that they will be notified of the outcome of this as part of their regular updates on the Transformation Programme. In the meantime, I can assure Honourable Members that the deliverables of and commitment to the Transformation Programme are unaffected by this event. Planning for the majority of projects within the Health and Care Transformation Programme was completed last year as scheduled. Some of the projects have been resourced and work has commenced on these. Work to resource all projects as soon as possible is continuing so that appropriate progress can be made across the wide scope of this programme. Finally, I can assure Members that, in accordance with Sir Jonathan Michael’s independent report, an annual report on the Transformation Programme will be brought to Tynwald.

——————————————-

Question 30 - Chief Minister’s ORAL ANSWER to Mr. Baker (Converted to written)

Mr President
I welcome the opportunity to provide Honourable Members with an update on our progress to address the challenges facing our health and social care services as identified by Sir Jonathan Michael whose recommendations were unanimously supported and approved by this Court last year. The Health and Care Transformation Team has been established and is continuing to grow within the Cabinet Office along with a robust governance structure to oversee progress and ensure the vision and outcomes from the programme can be delivered in a transparent, effective and successful manner. A communication strategy is being developed which will be launched in due course to ensure our colleagues, staff, service users and patients are able to access relevant updates on our progress. The 26 Recommendations from Sir Jonathan Michael’s Report have been translated into 14 key projects by the Transformation Programme Management Office. This team has been working hard on commencement of the first seven projects through the formation of project teams. These cover the creation of Manx Care and associated governance, its funding model, digital and data requirements, service by service reviews and needs assessment. This first phase of activity will deliver the governance, accountability and legislative framework to establish a new public sector body Manx Care, to focus on the delivery of health and care services and allow the Department of Health and Social Care to focus on policy and strategy. Manx Care will be up and running on 1 April 2021 and the Transformation team is progressing work to deliver this against some very challenging deadlines. This requires working with the Attorney General Chambers who have drafted the primary legislation needed to establish Manx Care and to map out the new ways that Manx Care will be commissioned by the Department of health and social care. Honourable Members will welcome the opportunity to engage with this process during the consultation stages of this process expected over the forthcoming months. It has been critical the Transformation team engage and work with those already involved in delivering health and social on our Island to ensure change is delivered by and within the relevant services to benefit users and patients. To ensure a formal and robust mechanism exists for clinical and professional governance, review and scrutiny within the programme a specific clinical and professional panel is currently being convened and those interested have until the end of January to express their interest to the Transformation Team to be considered for this valuable Panel. Finally I can confirm the first areas identified within the service by service review, care pathways and needs assessments have been agreed to cover:
Cardiovascular Diabetes
Haematology oncology Urgent integrated care
These projects will look from the perspective of the service user at what we currently offer, what the service user’s journey needs to look like in the future and how we get there with the ability to continue to improve our services in the long term. The teams have started meeting with stakeholders in these areas, as the transformation team will be undertaking this work with those involved in care. The teams need to be clear on the current situation, what the future service should look like based on best practice and how the transformation can support and equip those services in those journeys. The other areas that will be included during this first phase (until summer 2020) will be eye care, autism and children with complex health needs – the latter will have a specific pathfinder agreed following a short discovery review to identify appropriate areas given the significant scope and complexity. Transformational change of this scale is not without challenge and difficult decisions. However the team have established a solid well governed programme which now requires the time and resources to deliver the ambitious outcomes to ensure our health and social care services can be sustainable in the medium to longer term. I am confident with support from Honourable Members and the commitment already shown from our service areas. Together we can rise to the opportunity we have for tangible, embedded and successful change for the benefit of our community needs and health outcomes for our nation.
Honourable Members, along with other key stakeholders, will continue to be updated on the progress of the programme and, in accordance with Sir Jonathan Michael’s independent report, an annual report will be submitted to Tynwald.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Some interesting comments in Quayle’s answers today (not reached before the lunchtime cut off, so answered in writing not orally). A tiny fraction of the info. proffered to Baker (second answer) has previously been made public so far I’d say. I wonder why not.You’ll notice that honourable members have been receiving ‘regular updates’ - it’s a pity the honourable public haven’t. 

His dismissive response to Beecroft  (first answer) is interesting too. (Compare the answer prepared for her to that offered to Baker). Is he just sacking her off because he can’t stand her; because she’s a woman, or because he’d rather not dwell on the fact that Spicer left after 25 minutes? Anyway, judge all this stuff for yourselves.

TYNWALD January 2020
What effect the resignation of the CEO of the transformation team has had on the transformation process; and if he will make a statement?

As Honourable Members will no doubt be aware, the Health and Care Transformation Director resigned from his post last month due to personal circumstances. I am grateful to the individual for his service and for supporting preparation for the Health and Care Transformation Programme to get up and running. Naturally, his departure has instigated consideration of how the Transformation Programme will be led going forward and Honourable Members can be assured that they will be notified of the outcome of this as part of their regular updates on the Transformation Programme. In the meantime, I can assure Honourable Members that the deliverables of and commitment to the Transformation Programme are unaffected by this event. Planning for the majority of projects within the Health and Care Transformation Programme was completed last year as scheduled. Some of the projects have been resourced and work has commenced on these. Work to resource all projects as soon as possible is continuing so that appropriate progress can be made across the wide scope of this programme. Finally, I can assure Members that, in accordance with Sir Jonathan Michael’s independent report, an annual report on the Transformation Programme will be brought to Tynwald.

——————————————-

Mr President
I welcome the opportunity to provide Honourable Members with an update on our progress to address the challenges facing our health and social care services as identified by Sir Jonathan Michael whose recommendations were unanimously supported and approved by this Court last year. The Health and Care Transformation Team has been established and is continuing to grow within the Cabinet Office along with a robust governance structure to oversee progress and ensure the vision and outcomes from the programme can be delivered in a transparent, effective and successful manner. A communication strategy is being developed which will be launched in due course to ensure our colleagues, staff, service users and patients are able to access relevant updates on our progress. The 26 Recommendations from Sir Jonathan Michael’s Report have been translated into 14 key projects by the Transformation Programme Management Office. This team has been working hard on commencement of the first seven projects through the formation of project teams. These cover the creation of Manx Care and associated governance, its funding model, digital and data requirements, service by service reviews and needs assessment. This first phase of activity will deliver the governance, accountability and legislative framework to establish a new public sector body Manx Care, to focus on the delivery of health and care services and allow the Department of Health and Social Care to focus on policy and strategy. Manx Care will be up and running on 1 April 2021 and the Transformation team is progressing work to deliver this against some very challenging deadlines. This requires working with the Attorney General Chambers who have drafted the primary legislation needed to establish Manx Care and to map out the new ways that Manx Care will be commissioned by the Department of health and social care. Honourable Members will welcome the opportunity to engage with this process during the consultation stages of this process expected over the forthcoming months. It has been critical the Transformation team engage and work with those already involved in delivering health and social on our Island to ensure change is delivered by and within the relevant services to benefit users and patients. To ensure a formal and robust mechanism exists for clinical and professional governance, review and scrutiny within the programme a specific clinical and professional panel is currently being convened and those interested have until the end of January to express their interest to the Transformation Team to be considered for this valuable Panel. Finally I can confirm the first areas identified within the service by service review, care pathways and needs assessments have been agreed to cover:
Cardiovascular Diabetes
These projects will look from the perspective of the service user at what we currently offer, what the service user’s journey needs to look like in the future and how we get there with the ability to continue to improve our services in the long term. The teams have started meeting with stakeholders in these areas, as the transformation team will be undertaking this work with those involved in care. The teams need to be clear on the current situation, what the future service should look like based on best practice and how the transformation can support and equip those services in those journeys. The other areas that will be included during this first phase (until summer 2020) will be eye care, autism and children with complex health needs – the latter will have a specific pathfinder agreed following a short discovery review to identify appropriate areas given the significant scope and complexity. Transformational change of this scale is not without challenge and difficult decisions. However the team have established a solid well governed programme which now requires the time and resources to deliver the ambitious outcomes to ensure our health and social care services can be sustainable in the medium to longer term. I am confident with support from Honourable Members and the commitment already shown from our service areas. Together we can rise to the opportunity we have for tangible, embedded and successful change for the benefit of our community needs and health outcomes for our nation.
Honourable Members, along with other key stakeholders, will continue to be updated on the progress of the programme and, in accordance with Sir Jonathan Michael’s independent report, an annual report will be submitted to Tynwald.

I wonder how much of that Spicer wrote?

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder how much of that Spicer wrote?

Well if he left before Christmas as we told, he arguably wrote neither answer as the questions only surfaced a week ago. The official ultimately responsible for the transformation project, according to the relevant pages on the government website, is the Chief Secretary. So I’d guess the answers were written by him. One thing is certain - Quayle didn’t write them.

Interestingly, Beecroft of course reported that she was verbally duffed up by the Chief Secretary just prior to her sacking, while Quayle sat completely mute (actually that’s when Quayle is at his most valuable). So the very ‘Fuck off and stop wasting my time’ ambience to the answer given to her may indeed be the work of the hostile Chief Secretary.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Uhtred said:

TYNWALD January 2020

——————————————-

Mr President
Cardiovascular Diabetes

That's very depressing isn't it?  Both answers are almost entirely meaningless word-salads[1].   A long, juddering train of tired managerial cliches strung together to sound good to themselves if no one else.  If you're going to look at things from "the perspective of the service user", or patients as they used to be know, how are they being involved?  And how is 'best practice' being determined?  And why aren't such things being discussed openly and in plain, meaningful language?  All they seem to be doing is promising to employ yet more people to produce yet more meaningless drivel.

If Spicer's departure had no effect, why was he employed?  Why was anyone?  If the "deliverables of and commitment to the Transformation Programme are unaffected by this event", that's because those are abstract nouns that would be unaffected by anything, but what about the progress of it?  What is the purpose of it anyway?  And is transformation of everything even required?

[1]  No doubt one of the reasons that they didn't extend question time is that it would have given someone the chance to ask Quayle "What does that mean in English?".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's very depressing isn't it?  Both answers are almost entirely meaningless word-salads[1].   A long, juddering train of tired managerial cliches strung together to sound good to themselves if no one else.  If you're going to look at things from "the perspective of the service user", or patients as they used to be know, how are they being involved?  And how is 'best practice' being determined?  And why aren't such things being discussed openly and in plain, meaningful language?  All they seem to be doing is promising to employ yet more people to produce yet more meaningless drivel.

If Spicer's departure had no effect, why was he employed?  Why was anyone?  If the "deliverables of and commitment to the Transformation Programme are unaffected by this event", that's because those are abstract nouns that would be unaffected by anything, but what about the progress of it?  What is the purpose of it anyway?  And is transformation of everything even required?

[1]  No doubt one of the reasons that they didn't extend question time is that it would have given someone the chance to ask Quayle "What does that mean in English?".

You are spot on. Well articulated 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patient centred said:

What a load of bullshit ! (quayle) realities are, waiting lists are appalling and show no signs of improvement, GP's even speak of Nobles in derogatory terms, and lots of people, ourselves included are spending our ever decreasing resources on alleviating chronic pain whilst waiting for treatment!

WTF we paid NI for for a combined 90yrs is beyond me, womens pensions promises reneged upon and NHS treatment a joke !!!

Meanwhile Tynwald award themselves a pay rise, just fuck off!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Nobles hospital is a joke and a very bad one.

I beg to differ. The vast majority of staff are good, committed and competent. However, a minority just take the piss and appear to be literally looting the place, completely unchecked

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

I beg to differ. The vast majority of staff are good, committed and competent. However, a minority just take the piss and appear to be literally looting the place, completely unchecked

You are more than likely correct, however as a service user it would be good to be able to see these staff members before we end up pushing the daisies up !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patient centred said:

Absolutely right Roger Mexico. When I’d calmed down I was planning to write something similar, though thank you for saving me that task. I agree 100%. Among the 101 things that one could challenge here, the one that pisses me off the most is that all this grandiose scheming is going on without any communication whatsoever with ‘service users’ and (seemingly) in a vacuum without input from patient/service user groups. 

It’s a great pity that these weren’t oral answers as I’d have been interested to see if anyone in Tynwald had the guts to challenge this tripe. (Well, we live in hope).

And as for meaningless word salad - these answers are simply the appetiser; wait until you see the much lauded ‘annual report’!

• Like 3