Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
The Orgozoid

Apparently we need more accountants

56 minutes ago, The Orgozoid said:

There seems little point in debating with anyone who just seems to be looking for an argument all the time. The lack of success of that department is all around. Now we are bribing accountants to come here. It’s vaguely reminiscent of the press gangs. You’d hate to be an accountant who fell asleep at a DfE event. You might end up drugged and force ably removed to the IOM to help contribute to their pensions. 

Three new finance managers arriving at the docks for a new life in the IOM :lol:

F64BE340-9383-403B-9763-23E3E45F4716.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Probably not enough.  They would probably be better with budgets, or any kind of business related matters. 

Well, we've got Chris Thomas. But how about bankers? Bill Shimmins? Eddie Teare?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, we've got Chris Thomas. But how about bankers? Bill Shimmins? Eddie Teare?

I think Lawrie Hooper is an accountant by trade and Juan Watterson and Tim Baker. Kate Beecroft has some sort of accounting qualification as well. I also thought Howard Quayle has some sort of accounting qualification. As accountants go Lawrie probably adds to most depth in the DfE (that’s really saying something) between Skelly who sold holiday trinkets, and Callister who seems to have so many doubtful and subscription paid for letters after his name it’s laughable. 

Edited by MrPB
Edited to add Baker and Beecroft
  • Thanks 1

Mr Robertshaw is a chartered secretary I think

You don't need to be an accountant to read a budget and see that the IOM Government spends too much money and that the only sensible long-term answer is to reduce the size and scope of bureaucracy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I think Lawrie Hooper is an accountant by trade and Juan Watterson and Tim Baker. Kate Beecroft has some sort of accounting qualification as well. I also thought Howard Quayle has some sort of accounting qualification. As accountants go Lawrie probably adds to most depth in the DfE (that’s really saying something) between Skelly who sold holiday trinkets, and Callister who seems to have so many doubtful and subscription paid for letters after his name it’s laughable. 

Well if we've got so many accountants and accountancy-related backgrounds in Tynwald....why do they allow such fiscal shitstorms to occur?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Well if we've got so many accountants and accountancy-related backgrounds in Tynwald....why do they allow such fiscal shitstorms to occur?

Because it's not their money. If it was, I imagine they'd be a lot more fiscally responsible.

• Like 2

Just now, Non-Believer said:

I don't know but reading this thread I thought I’d check their Tynwald profiles and actually a lot of accountants popped up. I was surprised myself. 

20 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

You don't need to be an accountant to read a budget and see that the IOM Government spends too much money and that the only sensible long-term answer is to reduce the size and scope of bureaucracy.

But by having a huge bureaucracy you ensure that no one with a plan to shrink it will ever get voted in. 

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

But by having a huge bureaucracy you ensure that no one with a plan to shrink it will ever get voted in. 

All we can do is wait until the island's inevitable socio-economic collapse, so the island can be rebuilt from the ruins.

11 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

All we can do is wait until the island's inevitable socio-economic collapse, so the island can be rebuilt from the ruins.

With what, a loan from Barclays? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

The very nature of departmental government makes it next to impossible to bring them under strict financial control

Mr Robertshaw did recognise this, but everyone rejected his ideas on the issue because it was him who made them

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The very nature of departmental government makes it next to impossible to bring them under strict financial control

Mr Robertshaw did recognise this, but everyone rejected his ideas on the issue because it was him who made them

Strict financial controls might also see any number of jobs at risk. Clearly something to be avoided at all costs. If you're holding down one of the jobs....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Strict financial controls might also see any number of jobs at risk. Clearly something to be avoided at all costs. If you're holding down one of the jobs....

It would never do to reduce the size of the in-house electorate

Posted (edited)

There seems to be a misconception in this thread (and elsewhere) as to what an 'Accountant' actually is.

According to most dictionaries, the definition of an accountant would be something along the lines of;

someone who keeps or examines the records of money received, paid, and owed by a company or person:

It really is that simple - Accountancy is nothing more than 'A Count' - End of.

Now of course, it is most certainly in the interests of the bi-partisan deal between the tax collectors (HMRC or whoever) and the accountants to make it much, much more complicated than that. And then to change the rules every 5 minuits to invent more work to avoid redundancy for both sides in the deal.

Once the ledger has been produced, or thence checked, the 'Count' is complete and therefore, by definition, the role of the accountant is satisfied.

University degrees, certified and chartered status, interpretation of tax regulations are not accountancy - they are add ons (which may or may not be relevant). If you can count, or check the counting of others, then you have 'accounted' - therefore you satisfy the dictionary definition of an 'accountant'.

Some will tell you that this is bullshit, but there again their whole livelihood depends upon saying so.

Tax advice, Pensions advice, HMRC  rules interpretation, Capital allowances, set-offs, carry-overs, Regulator compliance etc etc. are not accountancy - they are examples of what you do with the figures after you have counted them. Tax advisors may well be accountants, but that does not mean that interpretation of taxation law is accountancy, it is not.  Accountancy is counting, nothing more. 

Edited by Manximus Aururaneus