Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

Bobbies on the beat

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Iirc it would sort-of be 5 days off switching from days to nights.

Lol...yeah, hadn’t thought of that! Guess that’s basically a day off, like you say!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manxst said:

Lol...yeah, hadn’t thought of that! Guess that’s basically a day off, like you say!  

A day off isn’t a day off if you finish at 0800 after a 12 hour night. You feel like someone has set about you with a shovel.

i was really lucky with my service. I spent about five of my first eight years on full shifts, in the days we used to finish at 10pm and be back on at 6am, even when carrying guns! Then I worked on to licensing and worked until 0300 every other fri and sat. 

On the island, I did my first 18 months on Douglas shifts, then moved to training. I had a few stints back on shifts as a sergeant, whilst doing other gigs, and then from 2005 I was off them as an inspector. Duty shifts gradually got better esp after I took over the duty boards (for everyone I might add!). Weekend nights could be long, and there were callouts for other things too like crashes and Firearms stuff. But overall, I was very, very lucky. The effects of rotating shifts and nights on the human body aren’t great.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The effects of rotating shifts and nights on the human body aren’t great.

 

evidently.....               :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked a variety of shifts in the GMP but never regular days. My first shifts had quick changeovers as referred to by Derek above which weren't too bad as rest day time was maxed in the month. the worst shifts were straight 7's being 7 days, 7 nights and 7 afternoons. Absolutely tedious without advantageous rest days. My time in the Tactical Aid Group meant that I finished when the clubs and pubs kicked out at 2am on weekdays and 4 am at weekends. that extra go home early off nights was worth its weight in gold.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Has anyone spotted one yet I.e. bobby on beat ?

Yes I clocked two wpc's within two minutes of each other last week which did strike me as unusual at the time.

Although one of them was outside McDonald's :ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 6:31 PM, Derek Flint said:

Chief Superintendent down to CI  

https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/Development/Promotion/Documents/The role of a police leader.pdf

This is also very good

https://mentalhealthcop.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/police-rank-and-roles-explained/

https://profdev.college.police.uk/professional-profile/chief-constable/

https://profdev.college.police.uk/professional-profile/deputy-chief-constable/

As I've said before, If I were designing it, there would be a Chief, a Dep who was nominally a Superintendent, and 4 Chief Inspectors, with possibly a superintendent out on a wing in the Financial Crime Unit. 

That way, the Chief is firewalled and can look outwards politically, rather than have to run the force - because when you have three at superintending rank, who is de-facto the next top bobbin? 

My personal opinion is that the current setup creates a very difficult dynamic.

I think I read that the Chief intends to appoint a dep before he goes http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=51556&headline=Deputy chief constable in 2021&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019 

This sort of gets a bit complicated, unless the DCC is then guaranteed the CC post when Gary retires. But I'm not sure that the Police Act as written allows for that. . There are lots of permutations: 

- Local DCC appointed from one of the three Supers

or

- Off Island candidate appointed (bearing in mind none of the local candidates have had access to the Strategic Command Course which is a precursor to taking on Chief Officer rank in the UK). Local candidates appeal because they were disadvantaged, etc. 

- then, DCC and CC work for a year. 

- CC post advertised. (it has to be under the Police Act) http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1993/1993-0011/PoliceAct1993_1.pdf

- Sitting DCC doesn't get the job. Cue all sorts of shenanigans. 

So, it all seems a bit complex and convoluted, and may give rise to a whole raft of challenges from both internal and external candidates. On top of that, if you read the Police Act, the sitting Chief shouldn't really be part of the process for selection of a new Chief, and  under s. 3(2),  the appointment to DCC can only be made with the approval of the DHA. So, if the sitting chief had picked his DCC, and then that person becomes Chief automatically, without further process, has the process under section 2(1) been undermined. 

And if the post of CC was advertised, and the person who had been DCC got it, does that then open up the potential for external candidates to appeal on fairness grounds. 

I'm sure Its a lot more simple and I'm just over-analysing things. 

 

 

That sounds like too many cheifs, and not enough indians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 11:18 AM, Derek Flint said:

A day off isn’t a day off if you finish at 0800 after a 12 hour night. You feel like someone has set about you with a shovel.

i was really lucky with my service. I spent about five of my first eight years on full shifts, in the days we used to finish at 10pm and be back on at 6am, even when carrying guns! Then I worked on to licensing and worked until 0300 every other fri and sat. 

On the island, I did my first 18 months on Douglas shifts, then moved to training. I had a few stints back on shifts as a sergeant, whilst doing other gigs, and then from 2005 I was off them as an inspector. Duty shifts gradually got better esp after I took over the duty boards (for everyone I might add!). Weekend nights could be long, and there were callouts for other things too like crashes and Firearms stuff. But overall, I was very, very lucky. The effects of rotating shifts and nights on the human body aren’t great.

 

 

618_odd_tiny_violin.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, display name said:

 

 

If you read what I posted, you’d see I wasn’t looking for sympathy as I had it easy. It’s about the poor sods on debilitating shifts - who are there to keep the peace for us i was highlighting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

If you read what I posted, you’d see I wasn’t looking for sympathy as I had it easy. It’s about the poor sods on debilitating shifts - who are there to keep the peace for us i was highlighting.

Oh good grief.  It's not the Bronx,relax a little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, display name said:

Oh good grief.  It's not the Bronx,relax a little

Idiot. It’s not the Bronx, no, so they won’t have to deal with daily shootings. But then I’m guessing the Bronx cops don’t deal with numerous RTCs every day, often involving derestricted speed. I’m also guessing they have a somewhat larger budget and numerous departments so that the average street cop doesn’t deal with missing people, vulnerable people, visit schools, do community work, deal with victims following incidents, on top of their ‘criminal’ workload every day of the week, like the Manx boys and girls do. They’re a small force here, so unlike the UK (and dare I say it, New York), the cops have to have knowledge and training and deal with all incidents, rather than have specific things usually allocated to departments. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...