Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
John Wright

Screen mirroring

Help please. I’ve got all sorts of goodies loaded on my iPhone/iPad, including BritBox, as well as Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

Ive hit a wall trying to get them to play on the smart tv’s we have out in Spain.

A friend with a Samsung phone using Smart View has no issues.

i can get screen mirroring and sound, using the built in Apple app, or Smart View. I can get that with a lightning/HDMI adaptor and HDMI cable ( fastest I could find ).

But I cant get the picture to play at all.

Is there a work round? Or is it an apple thing to try and make me buy an Apple TV set up?

Before you ask, BritBox, and the others work great on my ipad, even although I’m out of U.K. I’ve read through and watched YouTube tutorials.

What ever, a thing that goes into the back of the telly and lets me cast the internet from my phone to it - plug and go :)

I use an app called Allcast om my android phone.This let's me connect my movies on my phone to my tv.

Works very well with the chromecast. 

The advantage with chromecast over screen mirroring is that even if your phone's screen is off it will  continue to work . Same with YouTube or with any site that has a cast symbol on it..

The feed is sort of thrown ( cast ) on to the chromecast connected to the TV. You can still control the feed with your phone..

OK, @mad_manx @RIchard Britten @2bees

thanks for the suggestions. None of them work. Are you using Apple mobile devices? The fact your solutions work with android ( in some cases ) doesn’t appear to help. I’ve a feeling it’s an Apple specific limitation.

1. lightning to HDMI cable. I get everything apart from the moving pictures, so for tv, film, streaming, I get sound but no picture. 

2. Apple Mirroring function. Same. It’s a smart TV. Phone and TV find each other, connect, but no moving pictures.

3. I don’t have chrome cast here. I’ve got firestick and roku. Again, can’t throw moving pictures, but sound and still screen get cast/thrown.

59 minutes ago, John Wright said:

OK, @mad_manx @RIchard Britten @2bees

thanks for the suggestions. None of them work. Are you using Apple mobile devices? The fact your solutions work with android ( in some cases ) doesn’t appear to help. I’ve a feeling it’s an Apple specific limitation.

1. lightning to HDMI cable. I get everything apart from the moving pictures, so for tv, film, streaming, I get sound but no picture. 

2. Apple Mirroring function. Same. It’s a smart TV. Phone and TV find each other, connect, but no moving pictures.

3. I don’t have chrome cast here. I’ve got firestick and roku. Again, can’t throw moving pictures, but sound and still screen get cast/thrown.

I'm using Iphone and Ipad to chromcast without having to install additional apps on the phone

54 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

I'm using Iphone and Ipad to chromcast without having to install additional apps on the phone

Ah well. It may be me, it may be the fact I’m in Spain at present. I’ll try at home.