Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Questions I would ask in the house would be.........

How many new builds are sold to owners and how many to BTLs

I fancy, most would be to owners, 1st time buyers,  downsizers, so while I would legislate against BTL one has to allow Dandara to make  what it can of the current market to keep them interested in continuing building low cost estates which will benefit the lower end of the, price, market.

We can denigrate, poke fun at Dandara, for their funny little houses but they fulfill a market demand, cheapish housing to get started on! If not too many are BTL then  that fulfills a market sector?

....unless, of course, the 30 somethings have ideas above their station and want a 300k mini mansion to keep up with their Jones' rather than starting at the bottom ass we in the 60s had to do? Russian Spy refers to 3000 quid houses but these were Dlas terrace houses that no one wanted at thtat time, they are still available at less that 200k, why don't the 30 somethings start there???

Then there is the modern propensity to all things consumerable, the sky subscription, mobile phone, broadband, laptop fot everyone in the family, it is no point in complsining that you, the 30 somethings, have no money, if you have wasted your income on on such desirabbles rather than your future  home!!

What do you want, the Govt to bail ypou out because you've spent your money on frivolous consumerables rather  than saving for a mortgage.

You have only yourselves to blame.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Questions I would ask in the house would be.........

How many new builds are sold to owners and how many to BTLs

I fancy, most would be to owners, 1st time buyers,  downsizers, so while I would legislate against BTL one has to allow Dandara to make  what it can of the current market to keep them interested in continuing building low cost estates which will benefit the lower end of the, price, market.

We can denigrate, poke fun at Dandara, for their funny little houses but they fulfill a market demand, cheapish housing to get started on! If not too many are BTL then  that fulfills a market sector?

....unless, of course, the 30 somethings have ideas above their station and want a 300k mini mansion to keep up with their Jones' rather than starting at the bottom ass we in the 60s had to do? Russian Spy refers to 3000 quid houses but these were Dlas terrace houses that no one wanted at thtat time, they are still available at less that 200k, why don't the 30 somethings start there???

Then there is the modern propensity to all things consumerable, the sky subscription, mobile phone, broadband, laptop fot everyone in the family, it is no point in complsining that you, the 30 somethings, have no money, if you have wasted your income on on such desirabbles rather than your future  home!!

What do you want, the Govt to bail ypou out because you've spent your money on frivolous consumerables rather  than saving for a mortgage.

You have only yourselves to blame.

Most of that is correct, however your BTL assumptions are way off.

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

I look forward to forward-looking candidate Mr Chris Thomas MHK including it in his 2021 manifesto.

Looking forward to his good plated retirement package more like!  

• Like 1

Is Mr Thomas in the 'forward looking camp' or the conservative CoMin camp?

Today’s little comical offering from the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece and it’s quite something. 
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-authorities-monitoring-corona-developments/

Are they monitoring the throngs of people planning to locate.im here as part of Skellys fabled 6 Chinese Banks? Sadly if anyone is ill, don’t expect any help from Nobles, not very well qualified, and the GPs here will be scratching their heads - perhaps Dr. Doolittle Allinson has some of the answers? Euthanasia?

On 1/24/2020 at 9:30 AM, Donald Trumps said:

Is Mr Thomas in the 'forward looking camp' or the conservative CoMin camp?

Perhaps talks the former, acts the latter?

21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Probably been told not to.

Beat me to it!

Nobody shouting about the unemployment figures up either, in November/December during the year's busiest retail time. 

• Like 1

We have a septic tank which needed emptying, I applied online in mid December and rang before Christmas to see when it would be emptied? 6-8 weeks! The “toilet tax” is obviously not being used to improve a service! Oh but I could pay an extra £50 to have it done quicker! Err no thanks! 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Roger Mooer said:

We have a septic tank which needed emptying, I applied online in mid December and rang before Christmas to see when it would be emptied? 6-8 weeks! The “toilet tax” is obviously not being used to improve a service! Oh but I could pay an extra £50 to have it done quicker! Err no thanks! 

I thought properties with septic tanks didn't pay the sewerage rate though (and didn't pay the flat rate 'toilet tax' that preceded it), just £150 to have it emptied after request.  Quite a long time after obviously.  So the sewerage rate isn't used to improve the service for septic tanks because their users aren't paying it.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 10:35 PM, thesultanofsheight said:

The state pension is going flat rate too so it will have absolutely no link to inflation so it’s not going to keep pace with any inflationary increases in food, or fuel, or electricity in future so unless you have something else you really are going to be fucked and even if you do have something else it’s just going to be spent until there’s nothing left as you’ll have to spend capital not interest unlike in the 70s and 80s when interest rates were 10%.

Thanks for post. Although state pension is now single tier, the weekly amount is still triple locked so it will at least match inflation. This coming year pensioners will get a higher rise than Manx inflation as earnings have risen more than inflation. But you make good point that many pensioners in the Isle of Man use capital for weekly spending. This shows up in the latest Household Income and Expenditure Survey.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:04 PM, Kopek said:

Questions I would ask in the house would be.........How many new builds are sold to owners and how many to BTLs

Good interesting question about Economic Affairs statistics. Thank you. No question in Keys could get an answer because that data is not held and has not been estimated. I have stated before it would be helpful to carry out a housing survey.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, Holte End said:

Yes

The Chief Minister has just stated that they don't know how many pensioners have to live solely off the state pension.

What is the point of all these statisticians if they can even find this out.

That is what Treasury started from their figures. Economic Affairs could estimate that from Household Income and Expenditure Survey I believe, the extensive survey which is carried out every five years or so.

7 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Thanks for post. Although state pension is now single tier, the weekly amount is still triple locked so it will at least match inflation. This coming year pensioners will get a higher rise than Manx inflation as earnings have risen more than inflation. But you make good point that many pensioners in the Isle of Man use capital for weekly spending. This shows up in the latest Household Income and Expenditure Survey.

Thanks can you please explain how the triple lock works on a flat rate state pension payment? The interest rate position is worrying as most pensioners are just eroding their savings as interest is less that their living requirements. Long term you’re going to be picking up the tab for a huge number who will end up being on means tested support once their savings are exhausted. 

• Like 1