Lies, damned lies & experts

Chris Thomas

3 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The only person who should get a salary uplift is the Chief MInister

Maybe an offical Leader of the Opposition a modest one

?? , your not serious are you . Current incumbent is not fit for purpose and should feel guilty as to what he lifts . Worst CM I can remember and I'm in my mid 60's . Totally inept and lacking in grabbing the issues and sorting them. Cregeen and Harmer should have gone ages ago .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Phillip Dearden said:

I say this with some trepidation, but... are you sure?

I have two queries;

1. Ordinarily seems to be an amplification of what we mean by resident ie it is adding extra description to the term resident. If this is right, you would have to be resident to be ordinarily resident. This would not be the case if there was a separate definition of "ordinary resident" but I can't find one in the ROTPA 1005 or the Regs. I accept it might be somewhere else unknown to me.

2. In the tax world, which I appreciate we are not in, Ordinarily Resident, means resident year after year ie not a one-off. The tax definitions might not mean anything for voting legislation but I suspect they might be taken into account if there is no definition within the voting laws.

If there is no clear definition, this would seem unusual for something so fundamental but that is the way UK and IOM tax operated for many years. Tax was/is applied on the basis of residence but there was no clear statute to say what this meant. There was case-law but some of this conflicted and much of it came from a time when people were not as mobile as they are now and so was not too helpful. [BUT don't be alarmed, in most cases a person's residence is clear - it is the marginal cases that became tricky].

Just to quote the Assessor’s practice note 144/07

For completeness, it should be noted that our current legislation has references to the status of ‘ordinary residence’ without further defining its meaning, for example: Section 9, Income Tax Act 1970 contains the phrase “ordinarily residing”, and both Section 70 (7) Income Tax Act 1970 and Schedule 1, Paragraph 4, Income Tax Act 1980 contain the phrase “ordinarily resident”. The Assessor takes the view that additional definition of ‘ordinary residence’ is not necessary, and that the word “ordinarily” should be construed as synonymous with “generally” or “usually” as our system is concerned only with residence and non-residence when determining how income should be taxed.”

I think Derek talks a lot of sense but he is absolutely wrong about people not being really disgusted by this inept government, people who never voiced an opinion before are really having a severe lack of confidence in the present government.   I do not blame Howard Quayle for this he does not get to choose his team he has to make do with some of the beauty’s that the general public have inflicted on him.   There are the grandstanders......hopefully they will be one termers, the wafflers that really think the public are thick as s..t   hopefully we will see the last of them and the ones that always oppose everything for no good reason....bye bye you will not be missed.    So do not forget folks before they tell you what they are going to do...ask them what they have done.

• Like 1

There's a lot of mis-information and myth regarding residency and tax. Essentially your tax residency is in the eye of the beholder.  For instance someone might buy a fancy house on the iom and of course pay manx tax as a resident here. In the meantime he flies to London early Monday morning in his private jet,  stays in his luxury flat in docklands and flies back here of Friday night. When the UK revenue catch up with him they would challenge his actual residency and seek to prove his liability to UK tax.

I doubt that anyone actually does the above any more as he would certainly fail in the case, but some did try that sort of caper years ago. Having said that there is a lot of empty property on the Island where people claim to live.

8 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I think Derek talks a lot of sense but he is absolutely wrong about people not being really disgusted by this inept government, people who never voiced an opinion before are really having a severe lack of confidence in the present government.   I do not blame Howard Quayle for this he does not get to choose his team he has to make do with some of the beauty’s that the general public have inflicted on him.   There are the grandstanders......hopefully they will be one termers, the wafflers that really think the public are thick as s..t   hopefully we will see the last of them and the ones that always oppose everything for no good reason....bye bye you will not be missed.    So do not forget folks before they tell you what they are going to do...ask them what they have done.

I accept what you say. But if people were really fed up, we would see some form of protest, as you might see in Italy, Turkey or France. 

Maybe ‘resigned to it’ is a better statement? But the truth is, the majority just don’t seem bothered.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I accept what you say. But if people were really fed up, we would see some form of protest, as you might see in Italy, Turkey or France. 

Maybe ‘resigned to it’ is a better statement? But the truth is, the majority just don’t seem bothered.

It comes from centuries of being entirely ignored by Tynwald members Derek

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It comes from centuries of being entirely ignored by Tynwald members Derek

And centuries of Manxies who have spread their collective cheeks and passively accepted without so much as a squeak the un-lubed establishment strap-on.

Nothing will change here unless, as Derek says, we see street protests along the lines of Italy, Turkey or France.

Little chance that'll ever transpire.

• Like 4