Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Chris Thomas

Lies, damned lies & experts

3 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

No. I am here to encourage truth. I will correct my memory if you can share with me reliable sources that show otherwise. We should all retract incorrect statements!!!

As you're in cabinet office I'm asking you? Was the external.loan to Barclays  paid off or not? You don't seem old enough to claim memory loss. 

Edited by MrPB

12 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

PS Thanks for comments, and I will clarify or correct my comments when necessary and if I can.

Can I just say congrats on getting married, and hope you are over the ill health and all that, also my washer is on the blink.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MrPB said:

As you're in cabinet office I'm asking you? Was the external.loan to Barclays  paid off or not? You don't seem old enough to claim memory loss. 

Yes. Please read article http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=36487&headline=Debts%20of%20£570m%3A%20we%27re%20still%20picking%20up%20bill%20for%20loans%20affair&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2017. Confirmed by Google and IOM Newspapers in 15 seconds. :)

6 minutes ago, CharlieBrown said:

Can I just say congrats on getting married, and hope you are over the ill health and all that, also my washer is on the blink.

Wrong minister

7 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

I’ve read it thank you. It says nothing about the external debt of £95m which Treasury underwrote on behalf of the MUA subsidiary company which was loaned money by Barclays being repaid. Has it been repaid? I’m sorry to keep on asking direct questions. But you seem to suggest that we wrote off the internal MUA loan after the external back to back loan had already been settled by Treasury. So if that was the case when did Treasury repay £95m to Barclays? If you can recall of course. 

Edited by MrPB

15 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

I am here to encourage truth... ...We should all retract incorrect statements!!!

Great. So was Lol Skelly telling the truth about the 6 Chinese banks? It's a simple question which only requires a simple answer/explanation/retraction ...

Edited by quilp

22 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Thanks for comment and discussion. The link between wage and price inflation is part of economic theory, but I am not sure you can see the connection as clearly as you suggest. Also price rises of different things affect different income people and households differently depending on different consumption patterns. Finally public sector pay negotiators have referred to higher pay rises in certain sectors in the Island’s private sector. In summary we both know this is complicated. 

How would public sector pay negotiators be in a position to reference higher pay rises in private sector? They are not privy to that information. My own mum doesn't even know my salary.

10 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Tynwald went on to retrospectively sanction the loans, which were refinanced by government when they became due for repayment - Treasury advancing funds to the MEA which then repaid Barclays.

It is that refinancing which forms a major part of the outstanding consolidated loans fund.

Could you explain what the bit in bold means, please?

15 minutes ago, quilp said:

Great. So was Lol Skelly telling the truth about the 6 Chinese banks? It's a simple question which only requires a simple answer/explanation/retraction ...

The first new banking licenses were awarded in 2019, the first new ones for many years. Neither was for a Chinese entity. Please post what you think Minister Skelly said, when and where. 

19 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’ve read it thank you. It says nothing about the external debt of £95m which Treasury underwrote on behalf of the MUA subsidiary company which was loaned money by Barclays being repaid. Has it been repaid? I’m sorry to keep on asking direct questions. But you seem to suggest that we wrote off the internal MUA loan after the external back to back loan had already been settled by Treasury. So if that was the case when did Treasury repay £95m to Barclays? If you can recall of course. 

There was never £95 million of external debt. As stated in the newspaper, “there were two loans of £50m and £70m taken out with Barclays by an MEA subsidiary, the Manx Cable Company Ltd .... which Tynwald went on to retrospectively sanction the loans, which were refinanced by government when they became due for repayment - Treasury advancing funds to the MEA which then repaid Barclays. It is that refinancing which forms a major part of the outstanding consolidated loans fund.”

11 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Could you explain what the bit in bold means, please?

MUA has CLF loan. This internally borrowed money includes money which was used to pay off external bank loans.

19 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

How would public sector pay negotiators be in a position to reference higher pay rises in private sector? They are not privy to that information. My own mum doesn't even know my salary.

Aggregated information about pay and other terms and conditions is available, as you know. 

14 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

The first new banking licenses were awarded in 2019, the first new ones for many years. Neither was for a Chinese entity. Please post what you think Minister Skelly said, when and where. 

Former Minister Shimmin: https://www.tax-news.com/news/Isle_Of_Man_Opens_Door_To_Chinese_Banks____60698.html

Former Chief Minister Bell et al: https://www.gov.im/news/2013/apr/12/chief-minister-welcomes-chinese-ambassador-to-island/

Minister Skelly: https://www.internationalinvestment.net/internationalinvestment/news/3501976/isle-adds-alternative-banking-licences-bid-lure-int’-business

Less then 5 minutes Googling time!

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Thanks 2