Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

On 1/12/2020 at 11:12 PM, Chris Thomas said:

Economic Affairs Unit in Cabinet Office is the principal producer and collator of official statistics in the Isle of Man.

I often wonder if it should be renamed the Cabinet Orifice.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:29 PM, Rushen Spy said:

I often wonder if it should be renamed the Cabinet Orifice.

Yes

The Chief Minister has just stated that they don't know how many pensioners have to live solely off the state pension.

What is the point of all these statisticians if they can even find this out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

Yes

The Chief Minister has just stated that they don't know how many pensioners have to live solely off the state pension.

What is the point of all these statisticians if they can even find this out.

The worrying thing about that is that there could be loads and we simply don’t know. Yet at the same time we’re making women work to 67 by extending the state pension qualifying period for another 7 years yet we don’t know the financial impact of it. It doesn’t make sense. The tax office must have the data. I would imagine in this current generation of pensioners there will be quite a few as employers historically didn’t offer access to a scheme and private arrangements were few and far between up until the mid 1990s. 

• Like 4

Huge numbers of pensioners - 1,400 I think - seek social security benefits on top of their state pension

This has to raise the question as to whether the Manx state pension is adequate to live on to a reasonable standard in your old age

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Huge numbers of pensioners - 1,400 I think - seek social security benefits on top of their state pension

This has to raise the question as to whether the Manx state pension is adequate to live on to a reasonable standard in your old age

Correct so why are we making women wait another 7 years despite being told they could retire at 60 and introducing a flat rate state pension which has absolutely no direct link to inflation? If that’s all you’ve got to live on in future then you’re fucked. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

Now that Manx pension has been separated from UK pension there is no reason why Manx women should not be paid their pension from 60 as previously promised

I would like to know how many pensioners here would be considered to be living in poverty

Would the Cabinet Office or the Tynwald Select Committee on Poverty know the answer?

10 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Now that Manx pension has been separated from UK pension there is no reason why Manx women should not be paid their pension from 60 as previously promised

I would like to know how many pensioners here would be considered to be living in poverty

Would the Cabinet Office or the Tynwald Select Committee on Poverty know the answer?

Those women have been lied to. They planned pretty much their entire working life around being able to retire at 60 and then had the rug pulled under them. If the state pension was their only anticipated future income then they’re probably stuck in low paid employment for another 7 years so they can eat. They’ll likely be age discriminated against in the work place too as how many private employers want people over 60 working for them anyway? Government doesn’t seem to care about this though despite allowing their own staff to retire before 67 often on excellent terms just to get rid of them. Perhaps all we have to look forward to in future is a growing population of elderly prostitutes who will do anything to avoid the Foodbank when their pension has been pulled? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Bet they can say who are the  top ten earners.

But can't say the how many are  poorest pensioners, living in proverty.

Well done Chris you must be so proud of your department numbers Document.

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1

Well my neighbour is from the UK and has opted to continue to receive his UK pension. He thinks its hilarious that not only is his pension greater than mine, (which includes the Manx supplement), he also receives a winter bonus and a heating allowance. Who's the mug?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, doc.fixit said:

Well my neighbour is from the UK and has opted to continue to receive his UK pension. He thinks its hilarious that not only is his pension greater than mine, (which includes the Manx supplement), he also receives a winter bonus and a heating allowance. Who's the mug?

Take consolation. What would have been your benefits will be generously used to keep somebody else in comfort. Probably a civil servant. Maybe.

• Like 1

I'm very cynical when it comes to pension age. Moving the goalposts means so many more will die before getting it ..or will pass not long after .. It was a crime what they did to women increasing it by 7 years . When they signed on to work the arrangement was as we know for men to retire at 65 and women 60. Funny how they can change this major work agreement but can't change CS terms and conditions .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes they should keep it at 65 permanently as Canada has

• Like 2

Take note of this ..if left alone woman retiring at 60 and average life expectancy at 83 . Costs goverment in pension a total of approx average of £230,000 . Now it will cost with retirement age at 67 a approx figure of £ 160,000 . Assuming they live that long..If they don't it's a win win for treasury.  

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

It’s a warning to all. State promises can be re-written for anybody [who doesn’t work for government] but taxpayer promises to anyone who has anything owed to them as a government worker have to be paid in full even if we bankrupt future generations doing it. There is no fairness in society. It’s akin to apartheid where everyone bar a certain privileged minority get to be shat on by those who control everything. 

Well there’s the thing. Can you imagine the total outrage that would have occurred had they told everyone in government they’d have to wait another 7 years to collect their pension? They’d be out striking in the streets and crying all over Facebook about how hard done by they’ve been and threatening to take government to court. But everyone else is just told to fuck off and lump it despite some having paid NI for 40 odd years. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The worrying thing about that is that there could be loads and we simply don’t know. Yet at the same time we’re making women work to 67 by extending the state pension qualifying period for another 7 years yet we don’t know the financial impact of it. It doesn’t make sense. The tax office must have the data. I would imagine in this current generation of pensioners there will be quite a few as employers historically didn’t offer access to a scheme and private arrangements were few and far between up until the mid 1990s. 

If they were a private sector company, they'd just ask somebody from IT to run a report and feed it into an Excel spreadsheet.

Why can't the Government's hundreds of IT employees accomplish that simple task?

Even if there are separate systems at play, there's no reason why separate reports can't be proceeded and then manually matched up.