Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Can you imagine the total outrage that would have occurred had they told everyone in government they’d have to wait another 7 years to collect their pension?

That's why I'm not wasting my time running for public office, as the above[1] would be number one in my Manifesto pledges.

[1] In order to prompt a mass exodus of UK civil servants back to the UK.

Edited by Rushen Spy

9 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Huge numbers of pensioners - 1,400 I think - seek social security benefits on top of their state pension

This has to raise the question as to whether the Manx state pension is adequate to live on to a reasonable standard in your old age

The state pension should at least match the minimum wage

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

If they were a private sector company, they'd just ask somebody from IT to run a report and feed it into an Excel spreadsheet.

Why can't the Government's hundreds of IT employees accomplish that simple task?

Even if there are separate systems at play, there's no reason why separate reports can't be proceeded and then manually matched up.

I don't know whether that’s true or not. But the fact that we don't know is worrying and another one of those increasing anomalies about the IOM economy. I know a few old folk who only have their state pension to fall back on so I know they do exist. Even if they had some savings the 0.25% they might be getting on a couple of grand in the bank is pennies and isn’t going to help them live either. They’ll just run down the money out of necessity until there is none left then qualify for state support. What really annoys me is the disconnect between government and the financial realities of life for those in retirement these days. Interest rates are at all time lows so many can’t even live on the savings they’ve amassed even if they have them. The state pension is going flat rate too so it will have absolutely no link to inflation so it’s not going to keep pace with any inflationary increases in food, or fuel, or electricity in future so unless you have something else you really are going to be fucked and even if you do have something else it’s just going to be spent until there’s nothing left as you’ll have to spend capital not interest unlike in the 70s and 80s when interest rates were 10%. All that is probably going to happen is rather than government thinking this tight fistedness is going to save them money it’s just going to force more of the elderly into the social care system over the longer term as they won’t have a pot to piss in and someone will then have to underwrite their basic requirements as they will literally have no money or savings to live on. Contrast that to the CPI linked lifestyles of the public sector retired who will continue to do very nicely as at least their pensions should keep pace with their bills and inflation whether they’ve paid for them or not. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

You do have to wonder what will happen to people of my generation who can't afford their own homes, who are paying massive private sector rents, when we become old and have to rely on a pension. Like, where the f-ck are they supposed to live? They won't be able to afford the private sector rent. And any boomer who comes up with a load of b0llocks about Sky TV subscriptions or mobile phones and simply working harder.........sorry, grandpa, but this isn't the 1960s when you could buy a 3 bedroom house for £3,000 and pay for university by working a few summer jobs like Ronald Reagan claims he did. People paying massive private sector rent are not able to save, because most of their salary is going to rent, and the majority of employers have fixed hours and don't like people working overtime, so the whole "just  work  more hours" line is not really helpful. The whole system is defective because such a great part of it is classic parasitism of one form or another, the rich feeding off the poor, and the poor getting poorer.

• Like 2

Support calls in Tynwald for a national housing policy

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

You do have to wonder what will happen to people of my generation who can't afford their own homes, who are paying massive private sector rents, when we become old and have to rely on a pension. Like, where the f-ck are they supposed to live? They won't be able to afford the private sector rent. And any boomer who comes up with a load of b0llocks about Sky TV subscriptions or mobile phones and simply working harder.........sorry, grandpa, but this isn't the 1960s when you could buy a 3 bedroom house for £3,000 and pay for university by working a few summer jobs like Ronald Reagan claims he did. People paying massive private sector rent are not able to save, because most of their salary is going to rent, and the majority of employers have fixed hours and don't like people working overtime, so the whole "just  work  more hours" line is not really helpful. The whole system is defective because such a great part of it is classic parasitism of one form or another, the rich feeding off the poor, and the poor getting poorer.

When Dr "death" Allinson gets his way, it is likely that once your usefulness to society is over, you will likely effectively be euthanised.

If you have any savings for a pension that will be removed (as it is now anyway) to pay for your care. And once that goes, it's that zappometer for you pal.

• Like 1

We need an "Allinson's Run" Carousel (as per "Logan's Run").

Get to 50 and you'll be given a mendacious promise of regeneration and a new career as a civil servant...only to be reduced to a puff of smoke and ash. Pension crisis solved in an instant. :lol:

8 hours ago, gettafa said:

When Dr "death" Allinson gets his way, it is likely that once your usefulness to society is over, you will likely effectively be euthanised.

They will need to invent a time machine to do that to me.

• Like 2

I'm still working and I want Doc Alli to guarantee me extra years of life from retirement age to when I stop working, which I  will take when I retire.

Then I'll spend my retirement pointing out to all those moaning 30 somethings how lucky I am and they are going to have to work till they are 100 before they can retire!!!  :P

There needs to be more social housing built, houses and flats, instead of letting Dandara plunder the Island so they can sell to second home owners to rent out at ridiculous prices government housing stocks should be increased so that people on a low or medium wage can have a reasonably priced roof over their heads.  The most important things are Health, Living accommodation, decent food and an all around good education.   These four things are the corner stones of a caring and progressive society.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:49 PM, Rushen Spy said:

I've been saying this for years. There is very little choice for those wanting/needing to downsize. There just isn't the right amount of affordable mixed 1-2 bed properties to rent. 

We need housing association/trust stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a forward looking candidate for the Keys in #GE2021 will put it in their manifesto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Maybe a forward looking candidate for the Keys in #GE2021 will put it in their manifesto

I look forward to forward-looking candidate Mr Chris Thomas MHK including it in his 2021 manifesto.

• Like 1