Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
TheTeapot

Social Attitudes Survey 2019

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Well at least they now know so presumably they can now do something about it? What stuck me is how at odds the results are with all the nonsense little vox pops and personal lifestyle stories locate.im pumps out about the brilliant lifestyle everyone apparently has here. They make the IOM sound like a tampax advert where everyone is roller skating with their dogs on the prom and having such a great time and where the heath care and social infrastructure is so fantastic you’d be mad not to come and live here but sadly this survey sort of benchmarks the reality. People don’t really think it’s that good and it’s getting worse. 

I’m not sure the adverts are actually reaching very far beyond these shores.

mind you, Howard, Ray and Peter Boxer were over in Liverpool today to ‘cut the first sod’ on the Island’s shopfront on Merseyside. Our very own £38m terminal. 

I still can’t reconcile why we didn’t spend that money at home, and just make do with the available UK ports infrastructure? We do with airports and they carry lots more people. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m not sure the adverts are actually reaching very far beyond these shores.

mind you, Howard, Ray and Peter Boxer were over in Liverpool today to ‘cut the first sod’ on the Island’s shopfront on Merseyside. Our very own £38m terminal. 

I still can’t reconcile why we didn’t spend that money at home, and just make do with the available UK ports infrastructure? We do with airports and they carry lots more people. 

Begins in E ends in o.

If one ignores the stated (for now) cost, the big bonus is that it appears that it does not leave us beholden to Peel Ports.

Unless there's something in the small print...

ETA. Of course we will still be reliant on Peel Ports because Liverpool has been deigned to be passenger only by LCC; all UK-IoM freight will remain via Heysham.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

15 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

No we bought the land and will be spending about £30m developing it. 

I don't think it was outright,  99 years or some such thing.

Won't be in our best interest that's for sure.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 7:48 PM, thesultanofsheight said:

At no stage do they break peoples employment down by public and private sector. 

That's quite an omission. And major enough to not be accidental.

Anyway, it seems that 9% of our island identify as gay/lesbian etc. That's about as interesting as this survey gets! 

5 hours ago, finlo said:

I don't think it was outright,  99 years or some such thing.

Won't be in our best interest that's for sure.

It never is

• Like 1

I also think it's 99 year lease . Something seriously wrong with spending habits currently with government . 38 million for this , 280 million for climate adjustment , ferry terminal , 50 million each year over next few years for pension hole , Prom scheme 25 million , Grandstand scoreboard god knows how much ? , and I'm sure much more along with usual needs . Yet we have a short fall in Health services ,roads a mess all around the Island and worrying ly uncertainties over effect of Brexit and e gaming moving on . It doesn't make sense . They have screwed the ordinary person in the street enough already so not sure where all this money is coming from. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If one ignores the stated (for now) cost, the big bonus is that it appears that it does not leave us beholden to Peel Ports.

Unless there's something in the small print...

ETA. Of course we will still be reliant on Peel Ports because Liverpool has been deigned to be passenger only by LCC; all UK-IoM freight will remain via Heysham.

It’s a “long term lease” (leasehold) from the Peel Empire.

A good example of the difference between organisations that plan and negotiate for the short term vs the long term, the reasoning and benefits thereof. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

That's quite an omission. And major enough to not be accidental.

It would be incredible if a large number registering increasing dissatisfaction with government services actually worked in those services

Edited by Donald Trumps
crap spelling
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It would be incredible if a large number registering increasing dissatisfaction with government services actually worked in those services

Well we’ll never know as there is no breakdown between public and private sector employment whether that’s deliberate or not is anyone s guess but it seems to be a strange omission. 

• Like 1