Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
finlo

Chester st incident

4 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Coincidence ??!!!! I think not :-(

It's not so much the funding it's correcting the mis-managemnet of budgets that needs to be done so that funds are allocated to where they are most urgently needed....ffs, it's n9t rocket science.

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Honestly , as someone who's been under that service for 5 years or so it's worse than shocking , if even you get  access to the service . Trust me it's bordering on criminal the lack of care and time scales to get to a Psychiatist . I was a couple of years ago quoted 18 months waiting list . More recently managed to see one after 11 months. By which time the damage will have already been done or someone's no longer around and just a statistic in many cases 

Just commit a criminal act, go nuts and then the Police will call the Crisis Team, you'll probably get sectioned, diagnosed, meducated, turned out after a spell in the loony bin and be given a Shrink to see regualrly who will do next to fuck all exoect ask the same fucking questuons every time yoy see them....sorted!

21 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Just commit a criminal act, go nuts and then the Police will call the Crisis Team, you'll probably get sectioned, diagnosed, meducated, turned out after a spell in the loony bin and be given a Shrink to see regualrly who will do next to fuck all exoect ask the same fucking questuons every time yoy see them....sorted!

Listen , your right up to  the Crisis team.. if they don't think your a sucide risk your out of there and back into the pot with everyone else . I've been there ! 

Edited by Numbnuts

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

My point is, mental health services are overwhelmed because of the under resourcing of social care services. This is the bit that needs fixing. More day to day support for the vulnerable 

Which we can thank the government for, for its reckless policy of promoting population growth to fund the gravy train, stupidly expecting the infrastructure/services to expand with funding from the expected revenue from the influx of more people, apparently oblivious to the simple fact that more people means more need for infrastructure/services, so any gained revenue has to be put into newly accumulated costs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I’ve stayed off this thread as it’s got out of hand. I will however offer the following on the above.

It isn’t what happens, but there is an element of it that does bear out. There is a gap between criminality and mental health. That gap should be filled by supportive social care, but there is an under provision in that area. We are talking here about just looking after people that find the world a bit difficult to cope with. They are not, at this stage, mentally ill. The result is that vulnerable people then come to the notice of the police as they are the first line of contact in many cases where crisis occurs. 

Then, the bar for mental health treatment is quite high. So detentions by the police under the MH Act are usually returned to the community, with a follow up plan. That ‘follow up’ clearly can’t be full time, so the person lapses, and comes to police attention again. This spirals, and one of two things happen; the individual either becomes truly mentally ill, or commit an offence and are criminalized. 

Its not right, but that is how it plays out. 

Okay, Derek, I take back what I said. I apologise if it caused any offense. It is not the ordinary police themselves I meant to point ther finger at but the "justice" system which they have to enforce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Listen , your right up to  the Crisis team.. if they don't think your a sucide risk your out of there and back into the pot with everyone else . I've been there ! 

So have I, I was in Graniagh Court for almost 4 months, diagnosed with bipolar and am on medication and see a Shrink every 6 months. 

Wanted to add that there was Police intervention and to be honest once they'd got me in a cell were fantastic, they called in the Crisis Team.and the Police took me to Graniagh Court, they liaised with my wife and were brilliant throughout. Their primary concern was for my wife and children, and quite rightly so, not because I would harm them but because once they get that phone they don't know what they are dealing with so they go in expecting resistance from me, or worse, an attack. The problem as I see it is that once you've been discharged from Graniagh Court (I know it's not called that now as they have a new building but finding know the make of it) follow on care is pretty piss poor. Since being on medication and subsequently becoming teetotal my life is ace but not everyone has the support of a loving and understanding family as I have, nor does medication work for everyone...and there are those so traumatised in early life, and so damaged that unfortunately they would seem beyond help and even if they did receive help they would push it away...I also know this because my father and my best friend both took theur own lives.

Edited by yootalkin2me
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

So have I, I was in Graniagh Court for almost 4 months, diagnosed with bipolar and am on medication and see a Shrink every 6 months.

So sorry to hear this ..so hope your feeling stronger and the treatment  your getting is helping you...take care .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Could be worse,you could be Welsh. ;)

• Haha 1

I heard today of two other male suicides over the Christmas period, one of whom I knew. Apparently he went to the authorities asking for help a couple of days before but for whatever reason, he hanged himself.

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I heard today of two other male suicides over the Christmas period, one of whom I knew. Apparently he went to the authorities asking for help a couple of days before but for whatever reason, he hanged himself.

You are correct, I’ve heard similar rumours. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

So clearly he didn't get the help he needed ...so very sad RIP  Sadly this trend won't be reversed till they wake up to pathetic Mental Health service . Nothing on the news or papers etc though . Deliberate ? due to circumstances ? 

Edited by Numbnuts

49 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

So clearly he didn't get the help he needed ...so very sad RIP  Sadly this trend won't be reversed till they wake up to pathetic Mental Health service . Nothing on the news or papers etc though . Deliberate ? due to circumstances ? 

I really don't know the full circumstances of either case Numbnuts, tragically one of them was only 22 years old apparently.

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I really don't know the full circumstances of either case Numbnuts, tragically one of them was only 22 years old apparently.

So sad and such a waste ...thanks . 

I'm afraid the reality is that the government and the majority of the "care" system are self-serving jobsworths who don't give a flying f-ck about any of the people in actual need of care. They're only interested in their own salaries and doing as little work as possible until they can collect their pensions. The ones who genuinely care are the exception to the rule and probably don't last long due to having to put up with the toxic culture created by all the jobsworths they're surrounded by.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I'm afraid the reality is that the government and the majority of the "care" system are self-serving jobsworths who don't give a flying f-ck about any of the people in actual need of care. They're only interested in their own salaries and doing as little work as possible until they can collect their pensions. The ones who genuinely care are the exception to the rule and probably don't last long due to having to put up with the toxic culture created by all the jobsworths they're surrounded by.

You are correct RS, my sister in law would agree with everything you say. I asked her why she continues and she said somebody has to. As you say, sadly the minority

• Like 3
  • Sad 1