Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
gettafa

New venue for official TT launch

27 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The main studio is massive, and when dressed up is a really cool venue. 

David Dorricot has invested a fortune in the place, and it is a hidden jewel. 

The size of a building,and the amount of money invested justifies a mans worth?   Dave Lewis must be right up your street.

Dorricott is still an obsessive bible basher who likes to "educate" children in the name of Christianity. The fact he's a member of the IOM chamber of commerce wouldn't have hurt the decision to host it in a part time church,sorry,studio of course.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, display name said:

The size of a building,and the amount of money invested justifies a mans worth?   Dave Lewis must be right up your street.

Dorricott is still an obsessive bible basher who likes to "educate" children in the name of Christianity. The fact he's a member of the IOM chamber of commerce wouldn't have hurt the decision to host it in a part time church,sorry,studio of course.

It is the hub of Isle of Media, or isle of David Dorricot,  given he paid for some animated cartoons of bible stories that actually made money out of pathetic depressed people of low intelligence, I can see why the TT Launch is a good fit though, well done Rob.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

The main studio is massive, and when dressed up is a really cool venue. 

David Dorricot has invested a fortune in the place, and it is a hidden jewel. 

Whatever, it's still Ramsey.

The Villa has served its purpose for this event very well although when it began there were freebie baseball caps put out on everyt seat to entice people in. I ended up with about 10 (I could have had more) which I gave to my TT visitors. After a couple of years there were bikers coming over on the boat (off season boat and hotel prices, roads relatively quiet, a great couple of good days to be had on the Island). Then about 4-5 (?) years ago it was a fiver to get in - still worth it though. The last couple of years the live streaming has been good so maybe it was less well attended.

ICBA traipsing to Ramsey for it though.

29 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Whatever, it's still Ramsey.

The Villa has served its purpose for this event very well although when it began there were freebie baseball caps put out on everyt seat to entice people in. I ended up with about 10 (I could have had more) which I gave to my TT visitors. After a couple of years there were bikers coming over on the boat (off season boat and hotel prices, roads relatively quiet, a great couple of good days to be had on the Island). Then about 4-5 (?) years ago it was a fiver to get in - still worth it though. The last couple of years the live streaming has been good so maybe it was less well attended.

ICBA traipsing to Ramsey for it though.

And that is the major failing on this island Douglas people expect everything to be on their doorstep!

ETA, although Douglas people think it perfectly normal for out of towners to have to come to Douglas for everything!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, finlo said:

And that is the major failing on this island Douglas people expect everything to be on their doorstep!

Well yes, but just under half the population live in Douglas/Onchan/Braddan and (unlike London) it's fairly central geographically to the country with good road links and public transport.  So if you're putting on an event to attract a lot of people, a big shed in the northern countryside isn't optimally positioned.

• Like 3

I'll predict that it will be (relatively) poorly attended on the grounds of the above two posts.

Why on earth a preliminary to the Island's No1 event has been moved from what should be the premier, Govt owned and run facility (the Villa) to a hangar 2 miles outside Ramsey is anybody's guess.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well yes, but just under half the population live in Douglas/Onchan/Braddan and (unlike London) it's fairly central geographically to the country with good road links and public transport.  So if you're putting on an event to attract a lot of people, a big shed in the northern countryside isn't optimally positioned.

We're in the Isle of Man Roger not Australia. the transport links to Ramsey are every bit as good as those to Douglas. Problem is that most people are stuck in the "can't go all that way" mentality when it comes to travel on the island

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

Don’t those studios claim some sort of credit for the Closer To The Edge DVD? It will all be about the DfE showcasing some daft idea or irrelevant thing or other. I agree it’s a stupid venue. It’s not even about it being in Ramsey it’s at the back of bloody nowhere. I’ve lived here all my life and I couldn’t bloody find it first time the last time I had to go up there. 

Says it all really...

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'll predict that it will be (relatively) poorly attended on the grounds of the above two posts.

It will be a hand picked good looking audience probably a few' bike lovin' honeys', to make the coverage look a bit more energetic, with scripted whoops and cheers from the audience.

Quite handy if they are short on numbers as they can bus the celebs from Jurby in with ease. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, finlo said:

ETA, although Douglas people think it perfectly normal for out of towners to have to come to Douglas for everything!

We're going a bit off-topic, but your post is spot on. I;ve lived out of town too and see exactly what you mean from both angles. BUt it is what it is sort of tyhing.

I'd still like to know what the event is doing in Ramsey. Just a guess but maybe one of the TT wallahs lives there and knows someone. The TT gravy train is not unknown for self-interest.

It looks like a good facility to be fair, but I heard everything has to be wrapped up by 10.30pm, including breaking down sets etc so the event could be over by 9ish?

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It looks like a good facility to be fair, but I heard everything has to be wrapped up by 10.30pm, including breaking down sets etc so the event could be over by 9ish?

So starts at 8 then?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

We're in the Isle of Man Roger not Australia. the transport links to Ramsey are every bit as good as those to Douglas. Problem is that most people are stuck in the "can't go all that way" mentality when it comes to travel on the island

No they're clearly not as good to Ramsey, never mind to somewhere outside it.  It's less convenient to anyone in the East (from Laxey down), Peel and the central valley or anywhere in the South.  

If you want to attract the maximum number of people to something you need to put it at the demographic centre of gravity where most people can travel the least to.  The only advantage of moving it from the Villa is so that visitors don't see the clusterfuck that is the Promenade project.  Of course if the intention is to prevent all those horrible bikers turning up, when you want to swan around with PR people and the like, then it's probably a good choice.

By the time Ian Longworth's finished, our transport links, pan-Island let alone to Ramsey, will be world class.

The fact that we'll be bankrupt is a mere detail.

But back on topic; in my experience anybody from outside Ramsey views making their way there as an utter buggerance. "All the way over the Mountain, all the way up there, the end of the world" etc etc. As Roger M has posted above...it's been moved to save the embarrassment of people seeing the Prom. I drove down there myself today. Saw three men in orange hi-viz with a tape measure opposite the Queens. That was about it for activity.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit