New venue for official TT launch

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-applauds-move-of-tt-launch-north/

What sucking up by the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece.

If the VM was unavailable, wtf were the Motorsports team playing at? Dithering? Inaction? Piss Poor it is but it’s not doing something for the north, unless it’s doing something for other reasons!

It's typical Callister really.  If he'd just kept quiet about the Villa and blathered on about the new venue, they might have got away with it.  But people are now going to ask why the Villa wasn't booked up by DfE first and then realise it wasn't booked by anyone else anyway.

I suspect the real reason is not knowing what state of mess the Prom will be in, coupled with trying to stop actual TT supporters turning up and contaminating their media event with reality.

• Like 3
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll predict that it will be (relatively) poorly attended on the grounds of the above two posts. Why on earth a preliminary to the Island's No1 event has been moved from what should be the premie

We're in the Isle of Man Roger not Australia. the transport links to Ramsey are every bit as good as those to Douglas. Problem is that most people are stuck in the "can't go all that way" mentality wh

Surely you’d just move the launch date if that was the case? I can’t see why many will want to traipse out there for the launch. Maybe they should do their planning a bit better if by the time they decided on the date of the launch the most obvious launch venue was already booked out in a facility they are responsible for running. 

They're not responsible for running the Villa. That's operated by the Department of Education Sport & Culture.

The bigger question is whether the event is actually worthwhile on a cost vs benefit basis.

Venue Hire.

Equipment

Presenters etc

Cost of flying over riders, putting them up and paying their bar bills.

I've been a few times and tbh is all very "samey".

There's a few bikes on display. The riders all say that their bike/team/new passenger is going great, testing is going great, then one of them swears which makes half the audience laugh but offends the other half as they've brought their kids. And that, is about it.

Obviously Rob C gets to swan around with a lanyard and pass hanging from his neck as does Laurence Scally, but those aren't revenue generating.

I'd be more interested in the names of the people who got the freebies at the Grandstand tbh.

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's typical Callister really.  If he'd just kept quiet about the Villa and blathered on about the new venue, they might have got away with it.  But people are now going to ask why the Villa wasn't booked up by DfE first and then realise it wasn't booked by anyone else anyway.

I suspect the real reason is not knowing what state of mess the Prom will be in, coupled with trying to stop actual TT supporters turning up and contaminating their media event with reality.

The only event on at the Villa during the week running up to that is: https://www.villagaiety.com/whats-on/the-boys-are-back-5ive-a1-damage-911/

And immediately after the Official TT Launch is: https://www.villagaiety.com/whats-on/iomcs-presents-beethovens-choral-fantasia-orffs-carmina-burana/ 

So, I'm inclined to agree with Roger, it's the Prom issue. Well, the state of disrepair to be more accurate. No amount of what RC says will get away from that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, piebaps said:

They're not responsible for running the Villa. That's operated by the Department of Education Sport & Culture.

The bigger question is whether the event is actually worthwhile on a cost vs benefit basis.

Venue Hire.

Equipment

Presenters etc

Cost of flying over riders, putting them up and paying their bar bills.

I've been a few times and tbh is all very "samey".

There's a few bikes on display. The riders all say that their bike/team/new passenger is going great, testing is going great, then one of them swears which makes half the audience laugh but offends the other half as they've brought their kids. And that, is about it.

Obviously Rob C gets to swan around with a lanyard and pass hanging from his neck as does Laurence Scally, but those aren't revenue generating.

I'd be more interested in the names of the people who got the freebies at the Grandstand tbh.

For such a small jurisdiction there are so many different departments. Totally unnecessary especially as they don't work together.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The only event on at the Villa during the week running up to that is: https://www.villagaiety.com/whats-on/the-boys-are-back-5ive-a1-damage-911/

And immediately after the Official TT Launch is: https://www.villagaiety.com/whats-on/iomcs-presents-beethovens-choral-fantasia-orffs-carmina-burana/ 

So, I'm inclined to agree with Roger, it's the Prom issue. Well, the state of disrepair to be more accurate. No amount of what RC says will get away from that.

If it’s a prom issue ............ can you imagine if Rob Callister.............. god help us, gets  a golden promotion to Minister, will he abide by Collective Responsibilty? I get the impression that he would flounce out if he something going tits up, and especially if it was affecting his Onchan constituents and his Facebook following on IOMNP. 
I am afraid most people in here have summed it up eloquently. It’s either the promenade issue - which is hardly a ringing endorsement, for a key Government policy or Infrastructure project. Or could it be case of Government helping it’s friends businesses? 

Why don't they utilise the big VIP venue beside the grandstand instead of paying a fortune for a venue that no one uses apart from Roc C Nesbit ‘rent a mates’ who get free passes to hang out  with him at tax payers expense.   It’s all getting very elitist for the TT. 

I don’t recall a tender process for a venue. Big question is why is Villa not available? 

4 hours ago, MrPB said:

But they don’t ever talk with each other. I’d agree with the above too as outside the Sefton / Villa looks highly likely to be ground zero for this clusterfuck by then so they probably moved the event 15 miles away just to be sure. 

It will be like the Jackson's fiasco. All because the Rally was booked on the prom same day, 

I can't see the promenade being the issue, they haven't stopped booking artistes to play there, the Guild is going ahead etc. The bookings are probably not the issue either, nobody would book a wedding if the venue wasn't available, they'd shift the date to suit. I'm sure it's to give it a different feel and to support local private enterprise, something which seldom happens on the island. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I can't see the promenade being the issue, they haven't stopped booking artistes to play there, the Guild is going ahead etc. The bookings are probably not the issue either, nobody would book a wedding if the venue wasn't available, they'd shift the date to suit. I'm sure it's to give it a different feel and to support local private enterprise, something which seldom happens on the island. 

But that explanation doesn’t fit in with some of the fruitloop conspiracy theories

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Grounds Keeper Willy said:

No I think you’ll find that they’re just other people’s opinions. 

Can’t help yourself can you?

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

But cancelling any of those things would mean admitting just what a disaster the Prom scheme is and admitting a senior Manx civil servant can ever make a mistake is forbidden.  Also those attending such events will be locals and they are all too well aware of what the situation is (I'm amazed how much it comes up in conversation).  But all those visiting riders, journalists, PR people and so on can be whizzed off to Ramsey and never need to be exposed to contact with any of the plebs - unless they have splashed out on a £50 VIP ticket

• Like 1
  • Sad 1