Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manxberry

Punishment doesn't fit the crime

22 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Is it possible they are not giving proper sentences because we can't afford to pay for the upkeep of the prison or there are not enough cells?

To answer that sensibly, no.  The prison was built to cope with our ever-booming population (except when they all count them when they hide) and so there is plenty of space.  It has a maximum capacity for 135 male and 16 female prisoners.   The numbers in total never seem to have exceeded 121 and usually are around 100 or a bit less

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

To answer that sensibly, no.  The prison was built to cope with our ever-booming population (except when they all count them when they hide) and so there is plenty of space.  It has a maximum capacity for 135 male and 16 female prisoners.   The numbers in total never seem to have exceeded 121 and usually are around 100 or a bit less

That maximum capacity does sound to me like an explanation for so many lenient judgements (many of which are never even reported by the media).

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Is it possible they are not giving proper sentences because we can't afford to pay for the upkeep of the prison or there are not enough cells?

Er...no, SOIK just got 28 days for being drunk and carrying an offensive weapon (a spanner - seriously) absolute joke. 

It does seem ridiculous and there has been a lot of general disgust vented on Facebook but to keep the lady safe he should be imprisoned or be sectioned and kept in a secure unit.   If he is really mentally ill to a degree he inflicts injuries on anyone he should not be free to commit these acts, if he is not a physical threat and playing the mentally challenged card he should be locked up, no way should he be allowed his freedom to perhaps attack for a third time with more serious consequences.

18 minutes ago, thebees said:

Er...no, SOIK just got 28 days for being drunk and carrying an offensive weapon (a spanner - seriously) absolute joke. 

Sounds like a tool!

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

I didn’t actually introduce her to that previous topic, that was TSOS, and I didn’t want to further disrespect that thread subject at the time, but if you thought you could come the Billy Big Balls with complete impunity you were mistaken.

Yes, yes, and yes. I wouldn’t have made the original comment if I didn’t. As you said to me not long back, “Sounds like you got some skin in the game” Charlie?

Anyway, I'll shut the fuck up now and never mention her again, that's a promise.

who aren't you going to mention again ?

2 hours ago, Sheldon said:

As you said to me not long back, “Sounds like you got some skin in the game” Charlie?

Well I know of her through family and have met her, so can understand why she is vulnerable and why you should not be such a twat, so yeah I have humanity if you want to call that 'skin in the game' , I think my previous comments related to your persecution of another individual with mental health issues so it seems to fit a pattern of behaviour on your part.  

Edited by CharlieBrown

A teenager has just been jailed for punching a policeman whilst serving a suspended sentence for the same offence, quite right too.  So why was the thug that assaulted his wife not sent to jail when he was on a suspended sentence for the same offence.

20 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A teenager has just been jailed for punching a policeman whilst serving a suspended sentence for the same offence, quite right too.  So why was the thug that assaulted his wife not sent to jail when he was on a suspended sentence for the same offence.

It will all be down to the "social reports" funny how he didn't need them to slap his wife around

On 1/22/2020 at 9:09 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Wiki states 144 capacity Roger providing Wiki is correct? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_Prison

Has anybody an idea of how much taxpayer money is put into them or any idea of how many staff are kept in their jobs as a direct or indirect consequence of social reports being so prolific? I am all for them for genuine cases but nearly every case these days involves the defence asking for one, and it incurs further costs to the taxpayer (and more money to lawyers) by delaying sentencing just to tell us what most reasonable people could have guessed or been told as part of the defence's case to begin with. I'm all for due process but lawyers and repeat offender criminals are obviously taking the p---  either for money or to seek mitigation of sentences. You can't blame them for taking advantage of the system, but you do have to question why the system allows them to get away with it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, manxy said:

Wiki states 144 capacity Roger providing Wiki is correct? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_Prison

Given that Wiki states that one of its notable prisoners is a character off Emmerdale, it may not be completely reliable in this case.  I took my total from the latest IMB report linked in my comment by adding up the numbers for each wing.

Actually the Wiki article is out of date in some respects (remand prisoners aren't held separately now) so 144 may have been correct at some time and altered.  It doesn't even mention That Programme.

23 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Has anybody an idea of how much taxpayer money is put into them or any idea of how many staff are kept in their jobs as a direct or indirect consequence of social reports being so prolific? I am all for them for genuine cases but nearly every case these days involves the defence asking for one, and it incurs further costs to the taxpayer (and more money to lawyers) by delaying sentencing just to tell us what most reasonable people could have guessed or been told as part of the defence's case to begin with. I'm all for due process but lawyers and repeat offender criminals are obviously taking the p---  either for money or to seek mitigation of sentences. You can't blame them for taking advantage of the system, but you do have to question why the system allows them to get away with it.

In some cases, there is quite possibly a need for social reporting, however, when the same scrotes week in week out use this then you know the system is well and truly fecked.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Given that Wiki states that one of its notable prisoners is a character off Emmerdale, it may not be completely reliable in this case.  I took my total from the latest IMB report linked in my comment by adding up the numbers for each wing.

Actually the Wiki article is out of date in some respects (remand prisoners aren't held separately now) so 144 may have been correct at some time and altered.  It doesn't even mention That Programme.

Wikipedia is literal garbage. Only useful for scrolling down to the references at the bottom.

Wiki no more reliable than Manx Forums. And easier to edit and change.

• Haha 2